Farming Tweaks

Demonic_Kat

A few farming tweaks I thought of!

~It would be nice to be able to harvest farmed items sooner. Currently you can harvest things only when they are at peak or seeding. I propose that you can harvest farmables after the first stage of growth but you get either much less items or "small" items. Small items would yield less hunger/thirst reduction and may even add a bit to unhappiness (I mean who would be happy about their palm sized cabbage). For example, harvesting a cabbage at the second stage of growth will produce 1 cabbage or 3 small cabbage.

~Under "sow seeds" options menu I think the details about the plants (ready in x days) should be removed unless the player has encountered that seed packet (not just the seeds).

~Plants should be able to stay in the ground longer without rotting than they currently do. I mean when you think of it why would the plant rot while it's in the ground and growing? This would give incentive to start farming when the electricity goes out, reduce the need to harvest immediately, and reduce massive waste. It could be balanced with increased chances of getting flies/mildew/DWF and require regular maintenance.

~The addition of soil boxes being necessary for anything other than farming on natural soil would add more challenge to farming. They could require x carpentry and y farming skill to construct and may put a stop to the easy early game roof farming.

~Most produce should not survive being in the freezer. Freezing produce should drastically reduce the hunger/thirst yield and give an unhappiness debuff (everything would be squishy after being thawed).

Hm. That's it for now. Please let me know what you think!

On 12/10/2016 at 9:07 PM, Crazy ManMan said:

Freezing generally does not reduce the food value, it just makes it taste bad and less nutritious. Freezing things makes them last much much longer as far as edibility, freezer burned food is still edible for example, it just tastes bad. Harvest some most foods too early makes them very bitter sometimes even poisonous depending on the plant. Some are very hard like rock if harvested too early.

Good points. When I was thinking of freezing produce, I was thinking mostly of freezing things like lettuce. I imagined they would be horrid and squishy when thawed. Perhaps then a frozen/thawed produce should just give a unhappiness debuff.

On the second point the only vegetable that is currently in the game that could be poisonous if harvested early would be a potato. I still think this would be a good addition. It would give a risk/reward scenario and/or it may lead to "how the crap did I get sick" which would add a bit of immersion to the game (narrowing down the causes and finding a solution).