Z War Hero

gameaddict

I hope my story and my writing isn't too bad. I'll try to update at least twice a week.

Prologue

I was always average. I've always been a background character. I've never been good in anything. I was an average B- student in class. I wasn't in any sports or in any clubs. I never really stood out and I didn't have too much of a relationship with any of my friends. I hoped to shine multiple times but I gave up just as many times. Eventually, I gave up on change entirely. I was destined to remain as a background character.

I don't know what I'm lacking. I know it's not ability for sure. I have an IQ of 180 and I did extremely well in my studies before that happened last year. After that, I became a lazy asshole who expects change although I don't do much to create that change. I'm not going to talk about what that is, but I assure you that I will talk about it in detail sometime soon. 

I'm in my junior year now. Just 2 more years before I go to some average university and get an average job and live a boring life and die an average death. 

Or so I thought. The Z war changed the course of my life. Many people died. Those who are still left are left in a losing battle for survival or have given up on life. Everyone wished that it never happened. Or rather, everyone except me. I secretly think that it was the turning point of my life. It was a second chance for me- a chance to shine. It was the first time I actually used all of my 180 points of IQ since that happened. Here's how it goes:

Day 1

Today was the same as everyday. I got up and went to school at 8 AM. I talked to some other pedestrian looking dudes about some useless crap that we probably won't remember the next day. In class I did my usual crap of falling asleep or pretending to pay attention. At lunch, I ate with a group of kids I barely knew and then left the cafeteria as soon as possible. In the afternoon classes, I doodled on a piece of paper. School ended at 3:00 and I hastily left so that I didn't have to speak with anyone.

Then, I went home only to see a family I hated. I lived in a three story apartment, on the third floor. The people who lived two floors below me were a wired bunch. On the second floor was an unhappy couple in their thirties who kept fighting and screaming. After a day or two, they'll reconcile. But they'd fight again in a few days. Below them was a sickly old man who barely left his house. If he left at all, he was with his daughter. I didn't know too much about him.

I opened my front door. Nobody was home. Great- more time to play video games without the nagging BS I get from my family. I shut the door behind me and started playing games until about 10 in the night. Effective ass way to spend my time. 

Just then, I heard a scream of terror. My first instinct was to think that it was the couple fighting again, so I ignored it. However, the scream of terror changed into a scream of agony. I realized that the scream came from outside, not downstairs. I went to the window to see what was going on. At first, I couldn't see much. However, in the corner of my eye, I saw a figure bolting into an alleyway. Then, he disappeared from view. In about 15 minutes, police forces arrived and did their stuff. That was when I lost interest and kept playing my games. I thought that they will deal with everything. I was so wrong.

Day 2

I played games until 4:00 AM today and then went to bed.

Just like any other day, I woke up at 7 and proceeded to go through another average day. I noticed that my parents weren't back but I didn't care. However, there was something off about today. As I was walking to school, I saw about 10 police cars were parked in front of an off-limits building that was under investigation. For you big-city folks, that may not seem like a lot. However, I live in a town of 15,000 people. Pretty much every cop in town is at that building. Whatever happened yesterday was probably big. But, I ignored it because it had nothing to do with me.

The day proceeded just like any other day until lunch period (12:30 PM). I went to the roof to eat my lunch (which I bought from the convenience store) because I wasn't in the mood to speak with other people. I don't know why I was in a bad mood but it was probably because of some pre-war BS. Nobody else was on the roof.

I looked out to the street. It was completely different than how it was 5 hours ago. I saw a bunch of "rioters", or what I thought were rioters, shambling around the streets. They shambled at a pace of 1 meter every 2 seconds and they were all hunched and devoid of energy. Besides them were a regular people trying to get away from them. There was an abandoned car every here and there. A military helicopter flew past all this madness.

At about this time, the speakers said that the school was on a lockdown and that everyone should proceed through the standard lockdown procedures. In a lockdown, we went to the auditorium, which was a 40m x 80m room, including the stage. The auditorium had reinforced metal doors that not even a shotgun blast could take down. But it would be pretty uncomfortable to huddle down there with 700 others (500 students, 200 staff). For some reason, I decided to keep watching the scene at the streets from the roof.

A few minutes later, one guy shambled towards the school gates. The security guard confronted him but the guy kept shambling. Eventually, he stopped and bit a chunk off the guard's arm. The guard screamed in agony and kicked that guy off of him, forcibly tearing some flesh off his arm. The scream attracted more of the maniacs. The first maniac fell over and bit his calf. The guard panicked and ran back a little- which also tore off his flesh. He took out his cell phone and unmistakably dialed 911. I could tell that there was no response. The guard ran towards the school. The maniacs were right behind him.

I couldn't tell you how I felt at that moment. I was used to gore and all that stuff, but I wasn't used to seeing cannibalism. These guys were probably what was causing the lockdown. At first, I started panicking. I was tempted to call 911 myself. I tried my best to comprehend this situation while trying my best to ignore my emotions.

In this moment, I revived something in me that died long ago- my logical thinking skills. It took a few weeks to realize exactly what I revived, but it was a skill that most other people didn't have. I decided that as a rule of thumb, people who think emotionally make horrible decisions. This can be seen in literature like Romeo and Juliet where Tybalt gets himself killed by his emotion-driven actions. On the other hand, guys like Iago (from Othello) could manipulate people so easily because he is able to think logically. The logicaly-thought plan from a guy with an IQ of 80 is better than the emotionaly-thought plan from a guy with an IQ of 180.

Anyway, I decided to keep observing those bastards to see how to deal with them. Just a few dozen meters away from the gates, a group of three maniacs were smashing down a car door with their BARE HANDS. They didn't really care about the pain or such forth. Heck, it didn't even seem like they had a sense of touch. Eventually, one of them broke down a car window and he jumped into the car. Whoever was in the car died an unfortunate death. But I learned something new- they didn't feel pain and they were intent on eating human meat, regardless of the difficulty- without regret. It was safe to assume that they were like zombies I have seen so many times in movies, although I may lack proof.

Great. That meant that I better get the hell out of here as fast as possible because those guys were out to kill everyone else- including me. I tried to form a plan. If I saw a helicopter flying past all this madness (without stopping), it is evident that the police aren't in control. That meant that they had more important things to do, elsewhere- which meant that it is safe to assume that the majority of this town is overrun. If that is the case, it is likely that the phone lines are overwhelmed and therefore- won't be usable. Calling the police and waiting for outside help was out of option and would just be a waste of time. I had to forge my own destiny now. That thought activated my survival instincts.

Just about then, I heard a scream from below. A few dozen meters in front of the main entrance, the guard was on the floor and was getting mauled by the maniacs. Then, after about 10 minutes, they stopped munching on him and he got up and acted just like them. All of them shambled towards the main building. I counted eight of them in total. Now it was clear that they were zombies.

The very first thing I had to do was to find a weapon to defend myself with, just in case I have to fight one of them. I looked in my bag. I had a scissor, a fountain pen and a few school papers. I threw the school papers in the garbage bin- they were a waste of space. The scissor can kill if I strike under-the-chin. So can the fountain pen. But I decided to use the scissor because it had a better grip. But I decided to keep both- just in case one breaks.

You should probably re-read what your putting before posting it - cause Day 1 just seemed like you could teleport as well as being rather confusing on your whereabouts. I'm no English teacher, admittedly, but you need to be more descriptive - like roleplay.

Ever roleplayed before? Like say, Garry's Mod HL2 Serious Roleplay, or Second Life roleplay? 

Sorry about that. Anyway, I added more detail into certain parts to make the story flow more smoothly. Hope it helps. Anyway, continuing on...

Later that day

The next thing I should do is probably to get the hell out of this school. The auditorium isn't much of an option since rescue is never coming and it is bound to get surrounded by the infected. At best, I may be forced to fight my way out. At worst, I will starve to death down there. Since these bastards were slow, I could most likely outrun them if I am outnumbered. I could take them on one at a time, but any more than that and I have to run. What I have to avoid is getting cornered or getting tired out before I reach a safe location. To do so, I have to avoid sprinting in bursts and instead, I should stick to a slow jog.

I jogged to the staircase and quickly made it to the second floor without a lick of trouble. However, on my way down to the first floor, I met my first maniac. He was an old man in his late 60s who had trouble shambling. His face was pale and devoid of life and intelligence. It was evident that he was reliant on instinct. He made a moan when he saw me and shambled towards me. There was a bite mark on his neck.

I panicked and started running back upstairs. However, I realized that it was futile. There was only one staircase in the school. That meant that I will have to deal with him if I even want to think about escaping. I looked at the scissors in my pocket. That was my only protection against this cannibal.

Fear took over my mind. One bite is all it takes to become one of them. My weapon had neither reach nor brute strength. If I missed, my arm would probably be that bastard's lunch. If I hit, I probably couldn't score a kill unless I hit in the eye socket, which was not an easy target. If I didn't score a kill, my arm would still be lunch. I started panicking for my dear life. I had an impulse to piss in my pants.

Something in me told me to "shut the fuck up and fight". Whatever it was, it kept me going through the early days of the war. I stopped running. I realized that I had a chance at this.

I wasn't considering the under-the-chin strike I was thinking about earlier. The chin was a fairly large target so I would have a 70% hit rate. I could probably kill in one shot since there was no bone between the chin and the brain. The scissors were certainly long enough to do so. I was probably strong enough to push it all the way in the bastard's head. I had a chance to survive. I calmed down a little after that thought.

I went back to the second floor and went to the hallway. If I was going to do this, my best bet is to be on level ground with my enemy. That way, it'll be easier to aim at the chin than if we were fighting on the stairs. The bastard shambled towards me. We were about 3 meters away.

I gripped my scissors and took a tense position, ready to move at a second's notice. I waited for the bastard to come at me. When it was half a meter away, it grabbed my shoulders. I knew that struggling was useless and was just a waste of energy. Instead, with all my strength, I thrusted my scissors upwards into his chin. It was harder than I thought. The scissor hadn't reach his brain yet. He was still alive and was still trying to eat me. In panic, I smacked the bottom of the scissor upwards with my left hand. That seemed to be enough to push the thing all the way up to his brain.

The bastard stopped moving. He released his grip on me and he fell towards me. I sidestepped him. I looked at what I had done. My very first kill made me realize what I just did. I KILLED something in self-defense. My survival instincts left me and I suddenly felt guilty since I didn't even bother to reason with the guy. The guy had black blood pouring out of his chin where the head of the scissors was sticking out. I couldn't bear to look at him.

But that's when I realized my mistake. If the bite was what was causing the infection, then it is likely that the agent travels through blood. That meant that if any of that blood got into my eyes, or even my nose or my mouth, it would be the same as getting bitten. I decided that I had to get a mask and some goggles before I get in another fight. This time, I was lucky enough not to get any blood splattered on me. Next time, I might not have such luck. The surest place I knew was the chemistry room where they had the lab equipment, which was luckily on the ground floor.

I knew that the scissors was stuck in the bastard pretty badly. It'd be a waste of valuable time to attempt taking them out. I'd much rather use my pen. If I remembered correctly, there were 8 bastards in the building. I hurried to the ground floor and then to the chemistry room.

To be continued...

Archived