Steam server not working online or showing in public servers

Turbat

so, I decided it was time to try and setup a server and used the new steam multiplayer feature

I used the steamcmd client and portforwarded from 16261 to 16271 plus the two steamports (to be sure)

my issue, as mentioned, is that the server won't show up on the public list, even though I did enable it in the INI, nor can anyone connect to it directly.
weird part being I can connect just fine from my other computer, granted it is connected to the same router

after a lot of tests and discussions with other server hosts, my last guess is that it might be due to both my computer using the same IP, possibly asking of the players to add the local IP of the hosting computer to the connection informations

another possibility (altho it seems unlikely) is that the game and server files were installed on a separate hard drive from the operating system (windows 7 pro X64)

any and all suggestions are welcome

From my testing the only thing that matters for being listed on the public list is steamport1(~8766) and the gameport (~16261)

The steam port doesn't need to be forwarded but if you have a firewall (like windows firewall) then that could potentially interfere with it making outbound connections.

The game port needs to be forwarded so it can be accessed via your public IP (the ip that shows up from https://www.whatismyip.com/ ) This is because it also acts as the server query port.

If players from outside your local network use the local IP option then it will definitely fail.

If you can connect from other computers on your network but people from outside can't connect then it sounds like a port forwarding issue to me.

I'd double check your router manual to make sure you've got that right and, just to be sure, make sure you forwarded for UDP and TCP -- not just one or the other.

so, I double checked and did both the firewall allowance and port forwarding in UDP and TCP, for all ports from 16261 to 16271 and both the steam ports on both my computers...
to no avail.

I also tried with firewall off.

server still won't show up in public (which, again, it should as the INI was modified)

also, I suggested the local IP might be useful only in the specific "local IP" prompt, in addition to the public IP (that the server gives me anyway)
knowing very fiew about network, I figured it might give further info

FYI, that prompt only appear when editing saved servers, not in the public server search

EDIT: I found out some people were having issues with ranges of ports on windows firewall. I went on and separately created an exeption for all of them, both out and inbound. again, with no results

Archived