Game Won't Launch - Mac

Brannty

Question

Game doesn't seem to want to launch. I've given Steam "access" already as the in app pop-up suggests, but still no dice. Sometimes the PZ application icon will appear in my dock as though its running, but reads that the "application is not responding". When this happens, Steam will tell me its running if I attempt to launch again, and I can't force quit the application. The only way to remove it is by doing a hard reset. I'm running it on a Mac, all up to date on the OS. Any suggestions?

If someone could try this, I may have the solution (fingers crossed).

In your info.plist file (if you're not sure where it is, instructions here) and make sure not the one in the Java folder.

Instructions on finding:

Go to your PZ folder (right click the game in Steam, click "Properties," go to the third tab labeled "Local Files," click "Browse Local Files," Right click Project Zomboid, click "Show Package Contents," open Contents folder. You should see info.plist. This can be opened with any text editor, the standard Text Edit should do.

There's a few lines that look like this for you guys:

<key>ClassPath</key>			<array>   			<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl.jar</string>			<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl_util.jar</string>			<string>$JAVAROOT/jinput.jar</string>					</array>

Edit those lines and change it to look exactly like this:

<key>ClassPath</key>			<array>   			<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl.jar</string>			<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl_util.jar</string>			<string>$JAVAROOT/jinput.jar</string>			<string>$JAVAROOT/</string>					</array>

And let me know if that works. Best of luck!

Heya Brannty, sorry you're having issues! Let's see what we can do for you.

Can you tell me what version of PZ you have? The demo, the regular version from Steam, or one if the test builds?

First, make sure you have the latest Java installed. If you don't know how to do that, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

Second, can you open the console (applications-utilities-console) and see if there's any output there?

And finally, if you'd rather not restart every time you should be able to end the process in Activity Monitor (also in Utilities folder).

If you haven't tried already, I'd suggest reinstalling the game and deleting the folder called Zomboid in your <username> folder.

Get back to me whenever- I'll try to respond ASAP. May be a little slower than usual as I'm at my other job at the moment.

Just downloaded it off Steam today, full version. I've updated Java (7 - update 45). As far as the console, I'm getting this:

JavaApplicationStub[530]: Unrecognized Java VM option ignored: -noverify

I've gone ahead and deleted the content on my side, as well as on Steam, and reinstalled. Still nothing. 

Hmmm, okay. I'm going to have to get an error log for you which is a bit complicated on OS X.

First I need you to get to your PZ folder. Do this by right clicking the game in your Steam library, selecting properties, and click "browse local files" in te second tab (I think, doin this from memory).

Once there you should see te PZ app. Right click on it and select "show package contents." Open the resources folder, the Java folder in there, the zombie folder in there, and within there should be a folder called GameStates (again, if I remember correctly).

Leave that open and open Terminal (another Utility). On the first line type the letters cd followed by a space. Back in your finder window, drag and drop the GameStates folder into terminal and press enter.

On the next line you should type "Java MainScreenState" without the quotation marks. This should start the game and give you terminal output if I remembered all of the folder names right. Copy and paste what you get here; if I remembered wrong I'll get back to you when I'm home and can double check the file paths.

Thanks for your patience!

Edit: fixed file path.

This is what occurred when I typed in what you told me too in the Terminal.

Last login: Thu Dec 19 13:57:22 on console

Stephens-MacBook-Pro:~ Stephen$ cd /Users/Stephen/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/Project\ Zomboid.app/Contents/Resources/Java/zombie/gameStates 

Stephens-MacBook-Pro:gameStates Stephen$ Java MainMenuScreen

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: MainMenuScreen

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: MainMenuScreen

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Stephens-MacBook-Pro:gameStates Stephen$ 

This error report faulty do to Rathlord remembering a file name wrong =D

-Rathlord-

I may have messed up the file path or that may be the actual error. As much as I hate to be useless I'm at work for another 4 hours. I will try to get back here after that, I may have an idea what the problem is, though:

Can someone with this problem find their info.plist in the Project Zomboid package (just inside, not the one in the Java folder) and paste te contents here in a spoiler?

Yep, here ya go!

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>ProjectZomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.projectzomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>0.1.5d</string>
<key>CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>JavaApplicationStub</string>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>APPL</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>Project Zomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
<string>ProjectZomboid.icns</string>
<key>LSArchitecturePriority</key>
<array>
<string>x86_64</string>
</array>
<key>Java</key>
<dict>
<key>WorkingDirectory</key>
<string>$APP_PACKAGE/Contents/Resources/Java</string>
<key>MainClass</key>
<string>zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState</string>

<key>JVMVersion</key>
<string>1.6+</string>
<key>ClassPath</key>
<array>
   <string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl.jar</string>
<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl_util.jar</string>
<string>$JAVAROOT/jinput.jar</string>
</array>
<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-noverify -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:GCTimeRatio=50 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20</string>

<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>sun.java2d.opengl</key>
<string>false</string>
<key>sun.java2d.noddraw</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>sun.awt.noerasebackground</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>sun.java2d.d3d</key>
<string>false</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>
</plist>

Hmm. Bizarre... Was playing Zomboid earlier this afternoon, i get this weird auto-move bug from pressing aim + run + a direction, and my character inevitably gets zombified. Click the screen and PZ quits. Fast forward a few hours and suddenly i'm in the same boat as these guys. I just submitted a post in the bug reports section about some totally unrelated issues and i went to try and open my PZ again to find out which build i was running and all of sudden it's broken. How and why would this happen?! Seriously, i'm really intrigued as to why something like this would spontaneously happen. Could it be to do with the Steam client which was just updated to display their Xmas sales...? I don't even know why i'm even theorising, i have no idea... probably best left to you guys :)

Tried all the various ways to open it, all of which result in the PZ icon appearing in the dock for like a millisecond then disappearing. It happens so fast it doesn't even bounce in the dock. The only exception being that once when i opened PZ directly from it's root folder, it bounced indefinitely in the dock and wouldn't force quit, so much like Eadicicco mentions, i had to restart. Not sure why that happened anyway, if i try open from root again now, it just appears for a millisecond much like opening through Steam. 

Verifying game cache and deleting local content have done nothing. Compatibility mode doesn't make a difference.

Specs;

Mid 2012 Retina Macbook Pro

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024mb

Nvidia Geforce GT 650m

OS X 10.9.1

Here's my results from following your steps with Terminal;

Last login: Thu Dec 19 19:57:11 on ttys000

Gideon-2:~ Sam$ cd /Users/Sammy/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/Project\ Zomboid.app/Contents/Resources/Java/zombie/gameStates 

Gideon-2:gameStates Sam$ Java MainMenuScreen

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: MainMenuScreen

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: MainMenuScreen

at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)

at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)

at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)

at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Gideon-2:gameStates Sam$ 

and here's my info.plist if it'll help;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM "file://localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd">
<plist version="0.9">
<dict>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>ProjectZomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>com.projectzomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>0.1.5d</string>
<key>CFBundleAllowMixedLocalizations</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>JavaApplicationStub</string>
<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
<string>English</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>APPL</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>????</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>Project Zomboid</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
<string>ProjectZomboid.icns</string>
<key>LSArchitecturePriority</key>
<array>
<string>x86_64</string>
</array>
<key>Java</key>
<dict>
<key>WorkingDirectory</key>
<string>$APP_PACKAGE/Contents/Resources/Java</string>
<key>MainClass</key>
<string>zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState</string>

<key>JVMVersion</key>
<string>1.6+</string>
<key>ClassPath</key>
<array>
   <string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl.jar</string>
<string>$JAVAROOT/lwjgl_util.jar</string>
<string>$JAVAROOT/jinput.jar</string>
</array>
<key>VMOptions</key>
<string>-noverify -XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileThreshold=1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -XX:GCTimeRatio=50 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=20</string>

<key>Properties</key>
<dict>
<key>sun.java2d.opengl</key>
<string>false</string>
<key>sun.java2d.noddraw</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>sun.awt.noerasebackground</key>
<string>true</string>
<key>sun.java2d.d3d</key>
<string>false</string>
</dict>
</dict>
</dict>

</plist>

Hope this helps!

ps. I feel like i posted my earlier thread in the wrong place. Not sure if the problems i was reporting were 'bugs' or what... 

+1 Same here.

@Rathlord, I've got no MainMenuScreen class in that dir (and get the same error as the guys above). Did you mean:

> java MainScreenState

If so, the error isn't actually much different:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: MainScreenState (wrong name: zombie/gameStates/MainScreenState)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(ClassLoader.java:637)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:621)	at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:141)	at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:283)	at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(URLClassLoader.java:58)	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:197)	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

Yup, it's MainScreenState. That's what I get for trying to remember a long file path off the top of my head. I'm probably going to have to take this one to the devs, because this is an error I've been fighting with getting the launcher working on OS X as well.

I assure you, this'll be my highest priority and I will report back here as soon as I have any info on it. In the mean time, I really apologize for the trouble and thank you all for your patience. We're unfortunately fairly short handed for Mac testers (hint: it's just me), so it's been hard to make sure we catch everything.

Thanks for the update.

Not sure is this'll help, but I dropped down a few directories and got the MainScreenState class to execute. Doesn't work, but the error msg seems more like it (OpenGL related):

> cd ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/ProjectZomboid/Project Zomboid.app/Contents/Resources/Java

> java zombie/gameStates/MainScreenState

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/lwjgl/opengl/OpenGLExceptionCaused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:306)	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:247)

I figured it was simply missing classes, so from <snip>Project Zomboid.app/Contents/Resources/Java, I unpacked the OpenGL jars:

> jar xf lwjgl.jar && jar xf lwjgl_util.jar

> java zombie/gameStates/MainScreenState

and it ALMOST worked. Well, the game seemed to initialise anyway. Bombed out with this error:

Exception in thread "main" Exception in thread "AWT-Shutdown" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space	at java.util.HashMap.<init>(HashMap.java:187)	at java.util.HashMap.<init>(HashMap.java:199)	at java.util.HashSet.<init>(HashSet.java:99)	at sun.awt.AppContext.getAppContexts(AppContext.java:133)	at sun.awt.AppContext.stopEventDispatchThreads(AppContext.java:572)	at sun.awt.AWTAutoShutdown.run(AWTAutoShutdown.java:296)	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:695)AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

I'll stop d*cking around now and wait for a proper dev to come along... ;)

Hey Rathlord, you rock, thanks for your speediness! However, this hasn't worked for me. An improvement though. Now the icon bounces in the dock, but it never opens. At least I can force quit without having to restart though! 

Cosmo can you try deleting the entire PZ folder manually, then selecting "delete local content" in Steam, then reinstalling, and then making these changes to your info.plist. I know that's a silly amount of work, but since it worked for someone else I just want to knock out all the variables.

Thanks again for your patience, really appreciate it.

After making those changes, the game launches properly for me.

Best news I've heard all day.

I apologise! I must have made a stupid error, i tried again and now the game does launch properly... but i get a black screen where the main menu should be :\

edit. Just saw your post, i'll try reinstalling and adding the new .plist

If that doesn't work try deleting your Zomboid folder in MacHD/Users/yourusername/ folder.