Sunburn and Frostbite

Strang

Being outside too long in extreme temparures and be very harmful, and being too hot or too cold should result in some health problems. Being outside for too long should result in a sunburn that gets worse the longer you are exposed, same with frostbite in the cold. Also a possibility of adding sunscreen and very warm clothing to fight these maladies

But first we could use better indicators for what season it really is. It feels a bit frustrating if you cant tell the season and you might still suffer such negative effects from it. Would be a good feature after that. :)

Actually, implementing such a system could be a nice prelude for adding seasons. Would require thermometers to be included as well (This ! This is what felt missing the whole time !).

Even if we assume that it's eternal spring (and love ...err, moans are in the air), Kentucky does have quite a nice temperature scale to exploit (found the data for Louisville only) - with the high/low temps differing by as much as 40*C in any spring month.

This might be a bit of work in terms of generating a temperature (though that may be implemented already, as well as a temp day/night cycle), same as with adding wind (directional of course, for scent purposes), but otherwise would just need some more hot/cold moodle stages, with the extremes slowly giving you damage / bestowing other adverse effects.

Eh, I'd argue better moodles over a thermostat. We're generally not good at telling temperature to specific values. :)

We're not, but we get to feel even little changes when prowling outdoors for a while - most people look at the thermometer before going outside, so as to dress adequately. Not saying that we should distinguish between 21.35*C and 21.37*C, but it would be nice to have need for more sets of apparel than eskimo/naked.

Seasonal changes of weather, as well as the day / night cycle could do wonders for planning looting trips into town - take less clothes but end up with a flu due to wandering the chilly night away or take more and risk overheating / throwing them away along the way, when a surprisingly warm day comes ? I'd like that, wouldn't you ?

• 6 months later...

Being outside for too long should result in a sunburn that gets worse the longer you are exposed, same with frostbite in the cold.

What a positive change in strategic gameplay this would be!

To prevent sunburn, the character has to stay more indoors. It would also mean you cannot just go out and loot every day, you have to use the best daytimes more wise.

Now in the new medical system, we could use the "burned" status as a result from excessive sun exposure. Also pain, like it is with the back injury status.

And in the cold times...

The character should get interrupted sleep, when he is freezing. When i think of myself, i always woke up when i was freezing when sleeping. Why doesnt the character suffer injury from hypothermia?

I think of following situation:

Going to sleep, but at 2am it gets freezing cold. The character awakes and is forced to start a fire, to prevent from serious injury.

Its small changes like this that makes the lategame become less boring. :)

Being outside too long in extreme temparures and be very harmful, and being too hot or too cold should result in some health problems. Being outside for too long should result in a sunburn that gets worse the longer you are exposed, same with frostbite in the cold. Also a possibility of adding sunscreen and very warm clothing to fight these maladies

Almost everything you mention is already ingame, except sunscreen and I don't mind applying sunscreen before going out in the sun. Just as I would dry myself with a towel after getting soaked in the rain to prevent getting a cold.

Now the hard part. How do we know its a hot day outside and not breezy? Do you think the dev should add the mod call Natural Clock to the game so we know exactly if its a hot day or a cool day to be out in the sun? =]

Almost everything you mention is already ingame, except sunscreen and I don't mind applying sunscreen before going out in the sun. Just as I would dry myself with a towel after getting soaked in the rain to prevent getting a cold.

Now the hard part. How do we know its a hot day outside and not breezy? Do you think the dev should add the mod call Natural Clock to the game so we know exactly if its a hot day or a cool day to be out in the sun? =]

Oh god, a resdurected thread.

The moodlets are in the game, but they have no (if not minimal) effects on the player.

Personally I already feel 'trapped' when it rains I don't also then want to be 'trapped' because its sunny or winter... Just my opinion though but I find the 'sitting in doors because the weather isnt nice' section of the game to be the dullest.

As in reality, I just go out and risk death.

Come on, let's go!

Oh God, no. The rain, run!