TrayofPandas

Last night I was playing PZ and I was using the hammer (with the strong perk but I have used it many times without it) and the hammer is very op.  You almost never get exhausted from swinging it , it takes a very long time to break and it does a lot of damage.  The only thing slightly balancing it would be that the reach is short but that has not been an issue in my multiple hours of using it.  One way I think it could be balanced is slightly lowering the damage and making it break faster but these are my only two ideas.

I don't see any reason for this. I could see the need for it if it killed a zed in just one swing, but that's almost never the case unless it's a lucky hit to the skull. And I don't think it needs to break more easily, either. Hammers are designed to be strong and durable. They wouldn't be good work tools if they broke too easy.

They work fine as is. Strong and durable tools with good damage but short reach.

I don't see any reason for this. I could see the need for it if it killed a zed in just one swing, but that's almost never the case unless it's a lucky hit to the skull. And I don't think it needs to break more easily, either. Hammers are designed to be strong and durable. They wouldn't be good work tools if they broke too easy.

They work fine as is. Strong and durable tools with good damage but short reach.

I guess I see what you're getting at, but the problem is, I DO kill zombies in one hit. When I don't have lucky, or strong, or anything like that. And it's not a one-time thing. It's almost every other zombie. So maybe I'm just unnaturally lucky as-is, but the hammer feels like It's too powerful for how common it is.

Yeah but it seems kinda odd to me when I can kill 6 zombies in one group with a hammer but no other melee weapon.  It is true that hammers are also made to be durable but when your beating in skulls that is a lot more stress on the hammer than normal. 

I guess I see what you're getting at, but the problem is, I DO kill zombies in one hit. When I don't have lucky, or strong, or anything like that. And it's not a one-time thing. It's almost every other zombie. So maybe I'm just unnaturally lucky as-is, but the hammer feels like It's too powerful for how common it is.

How common it is has no bearing on its power. A hammer is a solid chunk of metal used to hit things with great force. Of course it's going to be powerful, considering that's it's intended purpose. It's also going to be durable out of necessity, because it needs to withstand great forces over the course of its lifetime. It's also a common thing to own, because almost everyone comes across a situation where a hammer might be useful.

Nerfing it doesn't serve any purpose beyond making things harder just for the sake of making things harder.

Yeah but it seems kinda odd to me when I can kill 6 zombies in one group with a hammer but no other melee weapon.  It is true that hammers are also made to be durable but when your beating in skulls that is a lot more stress on the hammer than normal. 

A quality hammer can withstand a truly phenomenal amount of abuse. If anything my main complaint would be that it's not durable enough, realistically speaking.

I might be willing to suggest making hammer use a little bit more skill reliant so that lower skill levels aren't quite as effective, but nerfing the hammer itself for doing the job it was intended for (hitting things really hard and looking good doing it) just seems like you're going way overboard.

I might be willing to suggest making hammer use a little bit more skill reliant so that lower skill levels aren't quite as effective, but nerfing the hammer itself for doing the job it was intended for (hitting things really hard and looking good doing it) just seems like you're going way overboard.

You're right. That's actually not a bad idea, to make it skill reliant. Now that I think about it, it's probably better then out-right nerfing it.

Dunno, the hammer is really, really, really dangerous for any decent sized group of zombies. It has very short range and low knockback, so if you get surrounded at all you're likely dead, whereas with an axe/bat/golf club, or even just bare hands, you're much safer.

the hammer is very op

While PZ is a bit hard to label, I believe it to be largely a survival simulator, making realism / a rich world to interact with, the game's key feature. Therefore, the required suspension of disbelief should be minimal (in the case of PZ, limited to the 'instigators' of the survival event), with as much stuff working like it does IRL (having some stuff cut, so as not to terrify (take Fallout 2 and the supersledge / kid / groin scenario) or make the player feel weird ("sanitation" subjects)).

Now, in a RL scenario, it would be naught but prudent to expect that among the loot one finds, both valuable items and trash are present. Keep the useful stuff, ditch the rest and move on to the next trash can, no ? Would you consider a machete "too powerful" and use a plastic knife even think about whether the stuff you found was 'just to good' or would you thank fate for the stroke of luck ?

What I'm trying to say is, that in such a scenario, both IRL and ingame, the concepts of 'overpowered' and 'underpowered' seem inadequate. One could actually argue that if a hammer is overpowered, then a butter knife is significantly underpowered, making both claims ...moot.

While there is not much that can be done to change the rarity / properties of hammers per se, it is possible to set their position on the 'trash-useful stuff' scale by implementing items that are relatively better (at the cost of being rare / extremely rare) or worse (yet abundant). IMHO this method would be the least 'gritty' in terms of realism, and could make people react with "oh, ANOTHER hammer, just throw it on the pile over there" rather than "I has a hammah ? I is ovah 9k !".

That and the bonus of having more stuff in PZ.