Profession/Trait Discussion

Tyken132

I've only been playing for a few days now, but I've experimented with the traits a lot. Of course I died a lot, but I blame most of my deaths on poor spawns; poor as in crap weapons. (DON'T TAKE OVERWIEGHT, either!!! Lol). As of last night I've had a great deal of success playing with a completely vanilla character. I got tired of assigning traits (I died a lot) so I just clicked passed the profession and the traits. Are you guys optimizing for MP? I think that the vanilla character is pretty strong, but MP seems to have harsher requirements for living.

Rely on your feet, not on weapons.

NRA disapproves this comment! Herecy!

But yeah, everything that either slows you down or hinders quick escapes is a no-no to my builds. Social perks are useless and alcohol tolerance just free points so I usually make strong and graceful, sometimes athletic and strong. Havent tried lucky perk yet, and good to know that taking negative hearing perk is also a viable "cheat".

But yeah, everything that either slows you down or hinders quick escapes is a no-no to my builds. Social perks are useless and alcohol tolerance just free points so I usually make strong and graceful, sometimes athletic and strong. Havent tried lucky perk yet, and good to know that taking negative hearing perk is also a viable "cheat".

over weight is a viable perk but honestly not worth it, even in extreme cases. Lucky is down right amazing, almost feel like cheating. With bad hearing, I noticed zombies tend to sneak up on me more. (Just paying more attention solved this) but otherwise, the positive points outweigh the negitive effects.

Biggest problem with overweight is that it prevents taking athletic. And athletic is amazing.

Hands down, completely agree with you. Its still not a horrible trait to take if you can handle the gimping and don't want to take anything else. But yeah, after play testing it more, athletic is amazing combined with a high sprinting skill.

I personally wish the game handled traits a little more dynamically...

I think players should be able to pick some traits, namely personality or experience based/learned traits and others come from play style.

Eat to much? Get fat...but its ok cause you can run it off and keep running and eventually get athletic.

Character never does any sort of manual labor like carpentry or carrying heavy stuff? Perhaps even add a workout ability (that passes time like sleeping or simply do it while speeding time up) and you can become stout or strong (or weak if you dont do these things)

Strong and Athletic? Now you need more to sustain your high metabolism which means eating more...weak? then you get the benefit of light eater.

Perhaps thats too much to ask...but i think having a lot more traits combined with them being dynamic would make the system much richer and interesting...maybe thats moddable...something to look into I guess.

I personally wish the game handled traits a little more dynamically...

I think players should be able to pick some traits, namely personality or experience based/learned traits and others come from play style.

Eat to much? Get fat...but its ok cause you can run it off and keep running and eventually get athletic.

Character never does any sort of manual labor like carpentry or carrying heavy stuff? Perhaps even add a workout ability (that passes time like sleeping or simply do it while speeding time up) and you can become stout or strong (or weak if you dont do these things)

Strong and Athletic? Now you need more to sustain your high metabolism which means eating more...weak? then you get the benefit of light eater.

Perhaps thats too much to ask...but i think having a lot more traits combined with them being dynamic would make the system much richer and interesting...maybe thats moddable...something to look into I guess.

Perhaps having a second subsystem then, kind of like skills, except they can decrease over time. Lets be honest, though. If you're not doing those things daily, you're likely going to die early on.

I think the trait and skill system will be revisited at a later time once the next set of milestones are reached.  I seem to remember one of the mods or the dev's saying that the system they have now is just a placeholder for something a bit more involved.

Might want some differentiation indeed.

Like for instance let us say we have 3 diffirent 'types'. We have "Triats" that cannot change, we have "Attributes" that can change, and "Facets" that represent habits/personality.

For example I'd be like this, with a gameplay approximation of each thing in brackets. Keep in mind that this is just an approximation I am putting out there. Not all these stuff are actual traits or whatever.

Traits:

(Cannot change)

• Light-eater. (Eats less)
  • Short-sighted. (Sees less)
  • Short-tempered. (Angers easily)
  • Vertigo. (Panic raises to +1 for each storey above ground when 3m or less from edge, including windows)

Attributes:

(Can change)

• Skinny. (Weaker against blunt force than normal or something, makes a little less noise maybe)
  • Weak. (Less power when pushing)

Facets:

(Personality quirks that are too minor to take points, might limit this to two or three)

• Hates sugar in coffee. (Has a happiness boost for black coffee)
  • Loves the sound of thunder. (Has a panic reduction when lightening strikes)
  • Hates climbing through windows. (Loses happiness whenever climbing through a window)

P.S. This is me lol

90% of the time i've spent playing this game so far, (since not long before 0.2.0q) i've stuck with construction worker, light drinker, short-tempered, brave and resilient.

Call me unadventurous, boring, whatever, i've had a lot of success with just them.

I usually concentrate on leveling carpentry and running first, along with blunt or blade, whichever weapon i find first, and farming asap.

Only recently i've been trying out lucky which seems to be working well.

psychopath trait/ This trait would be like the randomness of the rain itself. Every new day a random dice roll is applied for your character to see what random emotion you would have. Or maybe have this effect throughout the day like being suddenly happy to sad or angry, ect. Since i'm assuming that later in the game when theres npcs this would cuz the seem to be trust worthy one to have more sinister intentions(un-intentions??) who knows but would be interesting.

I maybe wrong but I honestly think people are overestimating both lucky and construction worker.  I have taken lucky a few times but without taking lucky I always get lots of good loot (both from dead zombies and containers).  I know its suppose to help but I can't help but feel people just think they are getting the loot because of the trait they take every game.  Also construction worker, again I could be wrong but as far as I know it doesn't reduce the chance of scratches and bites turning you into a zombie, it just slows down the time it takes to turn when infected.

On the subject of mental disorders and such, I don't think they need to be in the game.  Its a role playing game too, so just play as if your character has the disorder you want and the way you think that disorder works.