Undead disguise

sitruc102

I'm a fan of the walking dead and recently I've been thinking it would be cool if you could cover your character in zombie guts to hide yourself from the undead. I am unaware if this mod has been suggested before so if it has please point it out, and provide a link.

Requirements:

You'd require an unburnt and dead zombie as well as a blade type weapon to be able to cover yourself.

Effects:

disguise - once you've covered yourself in guts, zombies won't be able to tell you apart from one of them unless they see you run, swing with a weapon, shoot with a gun, or doing any kind of building. Edit: maybe there should also be a chance that they'll see through the disguise if your walking, this would make people sneak which mean it'll take them longer which could take away from the mod making the game easier

Nausea - as you are covered in rotting guts your character will begin to feel nauseous, decreasing your characters strength and healing

Washing - a feature can be added where you can wash yourself by using any water you can find in the world. This would obviously wash off the guts

Rain - when it starts to rain the guts will come off and the undead will begin to notice that you are not one of them and will begin trying to eat you.

Disease - as the devs are planning on adding diseases to the game being covered for too long will result in your character getting a disease.

Hmm.... The concept of 'zombie-guts-camo' has been brought up time and time again. Covering yourself in zombie gore, when a single bite or scratch can get you infected? Covering yourself in gore when it won't fool the zombies? Yeah. No.

However.

Let's take the topic title literally: 'Undead Disguise'. The player crafts a disguise from torn clothing, meat, congealed blood, and all the various forms of nastiness you'd expect a zombie to be wearing. Except all the gore, meat and blood isn't sourced from zombies. It comes from dead animals you've hunted, rotting meat found in the fridge, even players you've murdered (ick!).

It certainly won't fool a zombie, but it might fool a survivor. Lurch a bit, groan, even lie still in the grass like a crawler. Wait for them to see you at range, and determine that you're not a threat. They run off for a fun, mirth filled day of cracking skulls and collecting loot. Meanwhile, you get into their safehouse, steal the loot, smear blood (and the odd bit of rotting meat) on the furniture, punch out a pair of windows, then get the hell out of dodge. The come back and assume a zombie knocked out a window, staggered through the house, and kept going. Until they find the missing gear. If they find it's gone missing.

Not sure how this sort of 'zombie camouflage' could be implemented in Zomboid, but I think it's an interesting concept. You're balancing making yourself sick (you ARE covering yourself in rotting crap after all), being coated with gore you can't wash off easily, and potentially getting attacked by a zombie against being able to sneak around other players and NPCs. Oh, and potentially taking a blunt instrument/bullet to the brain.

Hell. If you play your cards right, and have gigantic cojones, you could gore up, play dead, and attack a survivor when they dismiss you as just another corpse. Just hope there's no zombies nearby that would appreciate a well presented meal.

• 2 months later...

Well you guys got the zombie camo all wrong. You dont cover yourself in their guts... You cut their skin off and wear it as a suit. Ya its crazy, but depending on how zombies identify you as not zombies, it'll work. Also not only will it fool people, but if you get close to them and do non-zombie things like talk, they will soil their pants.

Well considering you'd wear a trench coat, or something along the lines between your skin and the actual gore I don't see how it wouldn't work. Literately zombies eyesight are shot, their sense of hearing too, only thing they have left is scent, but even that is rotting away every second too. It would work, you just don't rub in the scratch or cut.

((The walking dead spoiler alert )))

I like this idea on the walking dead but on that show they already infected so blood on the skin don't matter only death does.

Without knowing you was infected I don't think anyone would put blood & guts of a zed in case you get infected lol.

But as a mod if your character did cover them self in zed gore maybe a 50/50 chance becoming infected or become slightly invisible for a little time.

lol cutting out their guts is an autopsy. you dont put the skin on immediately after cutting it off, there are a few more steps involved. when you wear a leather jacket do you get cow guts all over you? also, have you never seen texas chainsaw massacre?

lol cutting out their guts is an autopsy. you dont put the skin on immediately after cutting it off, there are a few more steps involved. when you wear a leather jacket do you get cow guts all over you? also, have you never seen texas chainsaw massacre?

you missed the whole point.

cutting somethings skin off the body will expose you to the blood and other bodily fluids immediately.

whether it is a body that has laid dormant for a while, thus allowing the blood to settle in the lowest portion or a "fresh kill" where the blood is still relatively thin and is flowing more freely.

(i don't wear leather, prefer lighter fabrics like cotton. and basing a discussion on a cheesy movie like that will not help your argument)

• 3 weeks later...

I used that cheesy movie because "leather face" wore another persons face over his and he didnt have a constant stream of blood flowing into all of his orifices. which im sure could be done in real life since dead tissue doesnt generate new blood.

cutting somethings skin off the body will expose you to the blood and other bodily fluids immediately.

I purposely skipped this point because i thought it was implied this process would be done wearing one of those rubber gimp suits they use in bondage movies... you know the ones with the zippers over the mouth? you know. or at least with latex gloves and a garbage bag poncho. if you wanna do it naked thats your choice. but then you might as well just cover your self in blood and guts and skip the whole skin suit thing. really why would you think you just start hacking away at a corpse all willy-nilly with out any sort of sanitory pre-cautions what so ever? i didnt specifically outline in my short post that you should be completely incased in cellophane first because i didnt think i would need too.

Of course the safest way to do this, is sort of what ApolloDiaspora said, find a non-infected person and kill and wear their skin. if you dont tan it and turn it into leather like in chainsaw massacre (if you even can) it'll still rot, making you look and smell like a zombie without the infection risk. (still got the hepititus and hiv risks tho :P)

Also lemme explain how the whole camoflauge thing works (both the guts and the skin)

First off, both of these methods are meant for use against the super-natural, necromantically re-animated, walking dead, romero, undead corpse class of zombie. not your 28 weeks later, i am legend, rabies carrying, infected class zombies.

The basis for these methods is outlined in the walking dead rather well: these rotting corpses have almost no sense of ANYTHING. their eyesight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell are all terrible. They're corpses. They can only see outlines and silhouettes of moving things, they can only hear things of a medium to high decible level and probably of a reduced frequancy range, and most importantly they cant smell shit. literally.

Being able to hear a bit and see basically shadows isnt enough to identify a living person from a zombie, so whats left comes down to smell. now like i said, they literally woudnt be able to smell feces, but the scent of rotting corpses is much stronger. so when a zombie decides to eat something the process basically goes like this; it hears a noise, investigates the noise, sees a moving shape, and than if it CAN smell the shape it has to be a corpse because that is about all it can smell, and if it CANT smell the moving shape it has to be alive and edible.

So the guts work for corpses because they cant see well enough to go 'oh thats a person with guts on them' and they go 'i CAN smell you so youre dead'.

The skin suit works for both corpses and living people because you still get the smell and a person who could easily see that you just have guts draped over you from a close to medium distance probably wouldnt be able to tell your wearing an authentic zombie costume at the same range without close inspection.

**Edit** This mod would work very well with this game because of all the customization you can do to the environment. how well the camo worked would depend on how well you set your zombies senses to and you could factor in infection risk since there is no protective/sanitary gear in the game (unless everyone is infected). It would add a lot to multiplayer too i feel, as a zombie skin suit would definitely fool a person and could be used more effectively for avoiding other people rather than attacking them. you could also do things like sprint towards some "bandit's" base drawing a horde towards it and when you get close you can shamble off or lead a horde away from your base in a similar fashion.

• 2 weeks later...

really, discussion over now? i really wanna see this as a mod too and I really think the devs should reconsider putting it in the vanilla game. Both the guts and the skin WILL work against "true" Romero zombies. you wouldnt say that doctors shouldnt research and try to cure diseases because they will just get infected, would you? No, because they take the precautions required to not get infected just like you would when using these camoflauge methods. Anyone who would just go at this all willy-nilly with their bare hands has no common sense what-so-ever and wouldnt last 10 minutes in the apocalypse anyways.

For the zombie skin camo, you reduce your infection risk dramatically by first wearing protective gear when performing your "autopsy", you then hang the skin until all liquids are dry and as a third step you layer the inside of the skin that makes contact with your skin with cellophane. (this is optional as it could be detrimental to the appearance of the disguise[too humans]). any and all wounds should be properly bandaged and wrapped in latex or cellophane/plastic as well. Really your only risk of infection from the skin method is being wounded after putting the skin on. Also a second person is required to sew the skin together after you put it on (since theres no zipper :P). Another BIG also is that the holes around the eyes and mouth should be cut larger to create a nice buffer zone between your orrifices and the skin, and rubbing mud or dark face paint around your eyes and mouth before putting the face on to make your exposed flesh look more dead.

However, the most effective way to avoid infection would to just use a non-infected person's skin. Risk level = 0

I realize all the extra sanitary stuff would be a lot to program but I think we could just imply that the precautions were taken (although from all the backlash apparently you cant).

I really dislike that this topic always gets shut down so easily, time and time again. there is absolutely no reason they wouldnt work against Romero zombies. Infact corpse scented perfume is all that is required to effectively hide from Romero zombies, you dont even need the guts or skin. it doesnt even have to smell like a corpse, as long as the zombies can actually smell you and you dont make loud noises or sudden movements, they will ignore you.

Considering blood is quite possibly transmitting whatever caused people to turn, covering yourself in the goo of the undead might not be such a good idea.

Regardless, I am sure sooner or later someone is going to make a mod, especially once it's actually easier to create your own "clothes". That might be what's preventing someone from modding it in as well.

Maybe it will find its way into the game at some point, even if it's not a good idea to actually do so.