getModData() question

Deadend

using the OnCreate parameter of a recipe I hooked to a function where I used getModData() and ran a little test to see if it worked. Basically I have two recipes

recipe recipeOne{    Pot,    Result: Kettle,    Time: 10.0,    OnCreate:recipeOne_OnCreate,}recipe recipeTwo{   Kettle,   Result: Pot,   Time: 10.0,   OnTest:recipeTwo_IsValid,}

then my two functions were:

function recipeOne_OnCreate(items, result, player)      local modData = result:getModData();            local hold = "Yup, that's a kettle";      if modData.holdIt then getPlayer():Say("This isn't suppose to happen");      else           getPlayer():Say("Watch me turn this pot into a kettle xD ");           modData.holdIt = hold;      endendfunction recipeTwo_IsValid(sourceItem, result)      local modData = sourceItem:getModData();      local hold = "Well, that didn't work as expected";            if modData.holdIt then getPlayer():Say("... " .. modData.holdIt);      else             getPlayer():Say("uhmm...");             modData.holdIt = hold;      endend

And so in that little example there (which I made just to fool around and see if getModData() worked as I was expecting it to) my end result was:

- I right clicked pot, triggered recipe to turn into kettle, good so far.  My player says "Watch me turn this pot into a kettle xD" as expected.

- I right clicked kettle, which triggered the function hooked onto the OnTest parameter. my player says "uhmm". A second right click gives "Well, that didn't work as expected" and every right click after that gives the same string.

So basically getModData() worked as expected on the second function, I later exit game, logged back in, and I still was getting "Well, that didn't work as expected" from right clicking the kettle.

But why didn't it work from the first function to the second? Anybody knows? 

Well, if anyone could enlighten my path, this would safe me a lot of time.

P.S: Someone might say, well the recipe item isn't created yet so you can't set things like that on it. Well then how come I can apply moodlet changes on consumable items? 

Ah okay didn't know that. It must have changed, since it worked fine with the lockpicking mod

modData = door:getModData();modData.lockLevel = modData.lockLevel or 0;
@Deadend

Are you sure, that the paremeter of the second function is what you think it is?

Ah okay didn't know that. It must have changed, since it worked fine with the lockpicking mod

modData = door:getModData();modData.lockLevel = modData.lockLevel or 0;
@Deadend

Are you sure, that the paremeter of the second function is what you think it is?

I've used OnTest before, its what used for the flashlight to make sure the battery is drained out in order to allow you to see and essentially trigger the 'Insert' battery recipe. But both battery insertion/removal recipes only deal with one "ingredient" so to speak. When you use the OnTest parameter for a recipe with multiple ingredients (I've ran some tests) it seems to pick the last ingredient item listed in your recipe. I've tried iterating through it but it doesn't work (through that sourceItem parameter) so its not a list. And it's worked on other things I've done before. Like for example I had a recipe that would could only be used if OnTest function returned true (the code checked to make sure your last ingredient was cooked) and it worked exactly as expected.

Gonna keep running some tests. And maybe now that you mention it, take a look at the guts of the lockpicking mod.

Well, no luck. Guess the result parameter in the first function holds a sort of pre-item copy of whats to be made or something like that (because for some reason it doesn't save, it only seems to save information onto ModData when the item is already in existence). Even tried with the OnMakeItem event to trigger a different function which essentially did the same as function one and no luck. Can't seem to be able to save anything onto the result 'item' ModData. Bummer. Time to re-design my mod to not use ModData....

You still can use mod data ... all you need is to change the place where you apply the mod data ;)

yeh, actually just figured a different way go about it by using an item that already exists (applying mod data to it). If it works then that proves my thesis. Then I can continue my mod as planned. *crossing fingers*.

... interesting that you once struggled with getModData() as well and actually learned about it from the same source as I did. http://www.theindiestone.com/community/viewtopic.php%3Ff=38&t=16221.html . I know everyone has to start somewhere but someone like you who has contributed so much to the modding community its hard to imagine you were ever a novice modder :D.