They Linger on (Part 2) (Still grammatically wrong most of the time)

Zimbie

Two hours later, John discussed things with Jessica and convinced her to stay and look out for the house with the pistol they have and around 30 rounds while he goes on a loot run in a nearby trailer park. John situated Jessica on top of the cabin and left with a baseball bat and dufflebag on his back. He ran through the forest, quickly but quietly. When he reached the trailer park, he scouted the area first, running along the perimeter of it. He saw around 3 or so infected in the  middle of the park, and around 10 in other various places. 5 trailers were in the park, spaced around 100 feet from each other. The trailers were all some bland color, being white, pale, or beige. Vegetation is starting to grow up the sides of one of the trailers.  

"Okay, let's do this." whispered John to himself.

He snuck up to a trailer and put his back up to the side of the trailer that was faced towards the forest. He crouched and walked slowly around to the other side, looking for any infected that may be in the vicinity of the trailer. He found two, and quickly snuck up behind them and smashed both of their heads in. 3 others saw him, so he took each out, slowly, but surely. Cripple the legs and smash in the heads when they're on the ground. 

"5 down, 8 to go I guess."

John ran up to one just kind of standing out next to the tree line alone, so he ran up to him and kicked the monster's legs so he fell down, and he whacked the infected's head with his bat and splattered it into a soup of rotten bits of muscle, brain and bone. It leaked out of the back of its head. Birds quickly flew out of the tree above him. The number of avian creatures must have been well over 20 - it seemed as if a black cloud of feathers appeared above him. John turned around to see 7 infected shambling towards his direction.

"Oh crap!" loudly whispered John in shock.

The man quickly ran to the back side of a trailer. His thoughts were quickly coming in, but were processed slowly. 

"What do I do what do I do what do I do" John thought, but suddenly got an idea. 

At the cabin, Jessica looked at her watch. It was 3:49.

"Where is John? I would have expected him to get back here by at least 3 PM."

Jessica took out the binoculars she brought with her and looked over the forest, trying to locate the trailer park. When she found it, she looked around and tried to see if John was anywhere to be seen. Her face was pale like she just saw a ghost. She scanned over to a trailer, where she counted 7 infected desperately beating down the door. 

"John...!"

She grabbed her pistol and brought the 30 rounds of ammunition with her and ran as fast as she could to the park. It took her 25 minutes, but when she got  there, the infected stared at her with hungry eyes. They started to shamble towards her. She brought up the pistol and looked through the sights. She lined up a shot, and pulled the trigger. The gun made a "tick" noise and nothing happened.

"Shit, how did I not remember to load this damn thing?!" she said, worrying heavily. The infected were quickly catching up to her.

John ran out of the building with a kitchen knife he had and stabbed each one in the back of the head, very fast. He got up to one, stabbed it. To the one next to it, and stabbed that one. When he was down to 2 of them, they turned around and finally realized what was happening, but it was too late and they both got knifed in the face by a 22 year old.

"Jessica, why the hell did you come down here?!"

"WHAT WOULD YOU EXPECT ME TO DO?! I SAW THE TRAILER YOU WERE IN GETTING DESTROYED BY THE INFECTED! I THOUGHT YOU WERE GOING TO DIE!" screamed Jessica.

"Jess, follow me for a second."

The two walked up to the trailer John was in. He pointed to a window, and the door next to it. 

"Jessica, I locked the door and opened the window next to the door. I took out a kitchen knife from one of the drawers and started to stab the infected through the window. Problem was, another joined and started to try to grab me through the window, so I cut off his hand and shut and locked the window. I was thinking of escaping through the window in the back. You didn't need to come down here, but I would have done what you did. Now, since you're down here, with the schoolbag on your back, can you help me gather supplies? You don't have to if you don't want to. You could also just kinda follow me around or go back up to the compound, but I'm staying down here. I need to get food. We have literally nothing left," explained John.

"I'll help you, John. I'm sorry, I didn't know what happened, I thought you were dead, I thought I was going to be left alone up there, and die alone without anyone because I wouldn't be able to farm or hunt or loot anything."

"I understand, Jess. Okay, I scanned the area before I started trying to loot, and there were 13 infected. I killed 5, and you helped me kill the last 8, so there shouldn't be any left outside. Just watch yourself in the trailers. Here, do you want my baseball bat back in that trailer or this knife?"

"I'll take the knife. Swift, easy to carry, and can kill easy."

John gave her the knife.

"Okay, so I'll take this trailer, and you loot the other. We'll loot quickly. What does your watch say, Jess?"

Jessica looked at her watch.

"Says 4:23".

"Okay, keep checking that every now and again. We'll leave this place at 6:00. That should give us enough time to at least skim these buildings."

"Sounds like a plan, John. Where do we meet up?"

John pointed over at a tree swing. "We'll meet up there."

Both John and Jessica looted the trailer park, and ended up with enough food and water to last them for another couple weeks. They also found a few seed packets, duct tape, and a box of nails. They met up at the tree swing, conversed about their findings, and walked back up to the compound. They arrived at 6:45 because they were taking their time and were talking about things before the outbreak. Waking up to children playing, freshly cut grass, drinking that morning coffee while watching some stupid reality show on TV before going about daily business. When they got back to the cabin, they organized things, checked the perimeter, cut the generator off, and made sure the still had a decent fuel supply. 

"So what do you want to do with these seeds, Jess?"

"Uh, I don't know. Use them as weapons?"

"I'm being serious. When do we plant them? When would we water them, et cetera. It's the middle of summer."

"I don't even know if we have a trowel. Let me go look for it. Wanna join?"

"Sure Jess. Why not?"

The two looked around, and finally found a trowel and a watering can in the shed out back.

"I don't know how we didn't notice these before," wondered John.

"No idea. Okay, set those on the counter and we'll start with stuff in the morning."

"Okay, Jess. Hey, I'm getting pretty hungry. What do ya want?"

"A can of vegetables with steak? Half of everything for you and half of everything for me."

"That's a bit much... oh well. It'll be a victory dinner for all the crap we found! Hoorah!"

John cooked everything over a fire outside, and when it was done, it was 8:30 at night. John put out the fire and carried everything inside with plates, forks, and knives he found at the trailer park. He cut up the steak and spread out the meal evenly. 

"Dinner's ready, Jess!"

Jess walked into the kitchen, excited for the exquisite meal laid out before her. She and John took their food into the living room and talked about things, books, and the events that occurred at the trailer park today. When they were done, John carried everything into the kitchen and laid the plates and silverware into the sink. He changed clothes, wished Jessica a good night, and went into his room. He feel asleep quickly. Jessica opened her window, and listened to the nature  outside, before she finally drifted away into a deep sleep.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Remember to criticize my terrible writing skills!

Archived