Putting Out Fires and Shooting Up/Down at Different 'Levels'

CaptKaspar

We need the ability to put out fires if we are gaining the ability to set more things (corpses) on fire!

Recently on a RP MP server with a friend, he made the remarkably good idea of running through our cook fire. He then could not extinguish the fire on himself and ran to our rain barrels (which of course were next to our safe house). The rain barrels and the safe house burned and there was a lot of damage to his character.

Simply, if I'm on fire and I have a bottle of water on me, I bet I could use that to douse some of the flames. I would also do a 'stop, drop, and roll' to smother any flames. If neither of these worked, I would still have the option of taking/ripping off my clothes, which is probably the part that is actually on fire. I might even try that first.

I should be able to put out fires using water, sand/dirt, and by smothering the flames. With the upcoming expansion of the use of fire, we need a way to combat it if it gets out of hand!

We found a mod that allows us to put out fires using water and dirt/sand, but it appears to not be compatible with v27.2. We both verified that the mod was working in our SP sandbox games, but it would not work during MP.

We need to be able to shoot up/down a level!

Recently there was a number of zombies outside our safe house. I went out on our catwalk that is around our outer perimeter and tried to shoot them from above. I couldn't do it! We really should be able to do this IMHO!

Maybe with the upcoming updates to the shooting system the devs thought of this?

I believe RJ said you can shoot from roofs now (not sure if it's only with the Huntin Rifle but it should be allowed for all weapons regardless). My PZ dream is to have cover, being able to shoot up on a roof and NPCs. 

Then I will be hiding behind cars and slowly making my way up toward a sniper on the roof, or get mauled by zombies because of the noise.

I always insert these little "I'd love to" here, so here's another: I'd love to see a chip knocked off the ground or mud if the shot missed to show where it hit, possibly a little dust on cement. This won't happen as RJ is using the isometric view to a great advantage though. Still if something is stuck in my head I love sharing. :P

We need the ability to put out fires if we are gaining the ability to set more things (corpses) on fire!

Recently on a RP MP server with a friend, he made the remarkably good idea of running through our cook fire. He then could not extinguish the fire on himself and ran to our rain barrels (which of course were next to our safe house). The rain barrels and the safe house burned and there was a lot of damage to his character.

Simply, if I'm on fire and I have a bottle of water on me, I bet I could use that to douse some of the flames. I would also do a 'stop, drop, and roll' to smother any flames. If neither of these worked, I would still have the option of taking/ripping off my clothes, which is probably the part that is actually on fire. I might even try that first.

I should be able to put out fires using water, sand/dirt, and by smothering the flames. With the upcoming expansion of the use of fire, we need a way to combat it if it gets out of hand!

We found a mod that allows us to put out fires using water and dirt/sand, but it appears to not be compatible with v27.2. We both verified that the mod was working in our SP sandbox games, but it would not work during MP.

We need to be able to shoot up/down a level!

Recently there was a number of zombies outside our safe house. I went out on our catwalk that is around our outer perimeter and tried to shoot them from above. I couldn't do it! We really should be able to do this IMHO!

Maybe with the upcoming updates to the shooting system the devs thought of this?

That happened to me too! I ran through the fire and went up in flames! Small world huh? I also noted that I caught the grass on fire, and the fire kept going on and off, and it only stopped the next real life morning when it rained. Fire seems very experimental at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

In the mod, copy everything in /client/ and place it in /server/ -- should just work, as the FireManager is tied to the server, but there's no guarantee. If you find yourself with double the options, just remove /client/.

Will take a look later today, otherwise.

Should be a top priority for Devs, in my opinion

You must have no idea what the devs are working on....

I was just saying it's pretty important to fix such a fundamental thing like fire mechanics... I'm wasn't trying to convince Devs to stop doing their current improvements, if that's what you meant. But I wanted them to just keep in mind that this is bugging many people, as there are some topics aimed at that, such as this one, and some of my friends on PZ weren't too fond of that.

In the mod, copy everything in /client/ and place it in /server/ -- should just work, as the FireManager is tied to the server, but there's no guarantee. If you find yourself with double the options, just remove /client/.

Will take a look later today, otherwise.

I'd appreciate if you told me what that would do to the game

Anything in the client folder is ignored, as a mod, in multiplayer. It has to be in the server directory to be used.

I don't think that is true, it is still executed on the client side. Like for instance say I make a mod that makes your character spawn a weapon in his inventory. I can then use that in MP and drop the weapon still. Same for attracting zombies. If I execute client based code to lure zombies to a coordinate with:

player = getPlayer();tile = player:getSquare();addSound(player, tile:getX(), tile:getY(), tile:getZ(), 30, 30);

It will still lure zombies even in multiplayer. :)

Or perhaps I am misunderstanding your statement. hehe

It's all clientside, but one directory is just not loaded by the client in multiplayer, unless it's changed recently. :P

Of course, that's only part of the problem. Sure, you can put the fire out . . . but it comes back! Let's take this to my thread in the WIP Mods section. ;)