A Couple of Good Ideas

SpectralNova

Idea Feedback  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think these were good ideas?

Slingshot:

Used to distract Zombies

Crowbar Uses:

Can pry open windows and doors

Magazine Armor:

Crafted with magazines and duct tape. Helps prevent against bites and scratches, but parts of it can be damaged enough that it falls off. Basically works as a second layer of skin.

More Clothes:

T-shirts, Shorts, and Hats

Spiked Walls and Boards:

Damages zombies

Industrial Saw:

Rapidly cuts multiple logs into planks. Requires power to use. Makes loud noises.

Extra Sounds:

Sounds for objects, such as sinks and ovens, and for activities, such as building and sawing.

Land Mines:

I'm kinda torn on this idea. On one hand, it would be good at defending your base. On the other hand, it would be loud, and maybe some might feel its overpowered.

Three New Guns:

Rifle, Assault Carbine, and Magnum Revolver 

Military Base:

Stronger Zombies located, as well as Zombies drop ammunition more often. Ammo, medicine, building materials, and guns can be found there.

Journal:

Describes and logs events every day.

Portable Generator:

Uses Gasoline to run. Is an alternate source of power for when power shuts off.

Corpses Spread Infection:

If left around for a long time, zombie corpses can get the player infected. 

Some of this stuff has been suggested, some of it is confirmed to be added in a later version.

Only one I'd have issue with is the land mine.  Here is why:

1) Only found at a military base, and even then it is probably unlikely.

2) Land mines work more because of shrapnel, not high explosives, being designed to maim, not necessarily kill.  Unless a piece hit a zombie in the head, it would not be effective.

3) You would probably only hit one zombie with it.

4) Odds are, you'd step on it yourself and die, and wouldn't that suck?

Some of this stuff has been suggested, some of it is confirmed to be added in a later version.

Only one I'd have issue with is the land mine.  Here is why:

1) Only found at a military base, and even then it is probably unlikely.

2) Land mines work more because of shrapnel, not high explosives, being designed to maim, not necessarily kill.  Unless a piece hit a zombie in the head, it would not be effective.

3) You would probably only hit one zombie with it.

4) Odds are, you'd step on it yourself and die, and wouldn't that suck?

You have quite a good point.

More clothes is planned, the journal is actually already working in build 28 (check the releases thread to keep up with what we're working on!), a generator is on the list of planned stuff, and corpses spreading disease will probably be added as well. There's actually two rifles going into the next build for what it's worth. A carbine and revolver will probably not be added, as they simply don't add much in terms of gameplay value since this isn't really a shoot-em-up type game.

Thanks for the ideas, and on a personal note, I recommend not titling your suggestions "good." Everyone thinks their own ideas are good :D

More clothes is planned, the journal is actually already working in build 28 (check the releases thread to keep up with what we're working on!), a generator is on the list of planned stuff, and corpses spreading disease will probably be added as well. There's actually two rifles going into the next build for what it's worth. A carbine and revolver will probably not be added, as they simply don't add much in terms of gameplay value since this isn't really a shoot-em-up type game.

Thanks for the ideas, and on a personal note, I recommend not titling your suggestions "good." Everyone thinks their own ideas are good :D

2 rifles? I thought it was only one: the bolt-action.

What's the other one?

I like the idea of expanding the crowbar uses; actually, expanding the usefulness on many of the utility tools would be nice.

The magazine armor idea is pretty good, though why stop at just magazines? Stuffing or layering your clothes with newspaper (or any paper) could work as an extra layer of zombie protection. Not great, but every bit helps.

I've heard the expanded defense barracade suggestions before though it's not mentioned on the long outdated "Commonly Suggested Suggestions" topic - but it seems like a no brainer. We've all seen war movies and horror films and such, so it's a pretty easy concept.

Slingshot:

Used to distract Zombies

Crowbar Uses:

Magazine Armor:

Crafted with magazines and duct tape. Helps prevent against bites and scratches, but parts of it can be damaged enough that it falls off. Basically works as a second layer of skin.

More Clothes:

Spiked Walls and Boards:

Damages zombies

Industrial Saw:

Rapidly cuts multiple logs into planks. Requires power to use. Makes loud noises.

Extra Sounds:

Sounds for objects, such as sinks and ovens, and for activities, such as building and sawing.

Land Mines:

I'm kinda torn on this idea. On one hand, it would be good at defending your base. On the other hand, it would be loud, and maybe some might feel its overpowered.

Three New Guns:

Military Base:

Stronger Zombies located, as well as Zombies drop ammunition more often. Ammo, medicine, building materials, and guns can be found there.

Journal:

Portable Generator:

Slingshot : Already suggested long ago.

Crowbar uses : Planned.

Magazine Armor : Really..?

More clothes : Not many people know this, but a rework of the clothing is on the way.

Spiked Walls : I would tell you what i told to Magazine armor.

Industrial Saw : Isnt the normal saw good enough for ya? :P

Extra sounds : This is the only idea i somewhat agree. I would like to have sounds for building and sawing, instead of only for Barricading.

Landmines: Magazine Armor.

Three New Guns : Single-Fire and Rechamber rifles are already confirmed, but not a Carbine. We can't add a Magnum. Do you know how much it costs to get a license to even NAME it in a game?

Military Base : I wouldn't like that. The military base in Unturned is just too OP. Also, special zombies are a confirmed no.

Journal : They exist in-game.

Portable Generator : Already confirmed.

Corpses Spread Diseases : That is impossible, as any disease living in a zombie would die if the host is dead.

I don't wanna be a bad guy or anything, but seriously, i recently read ALOT of bad/unrealistic/already suggested/confirmed suggestions. Have we ran out of ideas..? Even i am out of anything right now xD

Slingshot:

Used to distract Zombies

Crowbar Uses:

Magazine Armor:

More Clothes:

Spiked Walls and Boards:

Damages zombies

Industrial Saw:

Extra Sounds:

Land Mines:

Three New Guns:

Military Base:

Journal:

Portable Generator:

My opinions:

1) Sounds OK, but wouldn't it be easier to just throw a bottle or something instead of crafting a slingshot?

2) You can just break/force open windows with your hands, and unlock doors from the inside. But crowbars would make it easier, so yeah, I agree on this one.

3) It's not easy to make armour out of paper. But, I guess it would be an OK idea.

4) Yes.

5) Seems pretty good, I like it.

6) Nah. I'd rather take my time sawing logs by hand than using up fuel and making loud noises.

7) Yes.

8) I would just rely on spiked walls instead. Land mines probably aren't easy to set up if you're inexperienced, and they could go off in your face.

9) Yeah.

10) They said that they would never implement "special" zombies, but still, Fort Knox or something would be cool.

11) Why not?

12) Nah. Gasoline is hard to find, so you'd only be able to use it for short periods at a time before it runs out fuel, and what good would that be?

13) I believe they are already planning on adding this.

Slingshot:

Used to distract Zombies

Crowbar Uses:

Magazine Armor:

More Clothes:

Spiked Walls and Boards:

Damages zombies

Industrial Saw:

Extra Sounds:

Land Mines:

Three New Guns:

Military Base:

Journal:

Portable Generator:

My opinions:

1) Sounds OK, but wouldn't it be easier to just throw a bottle or something instead of crafting a slingshot?

2) You can just break/force open windows with your hands, and unlock doors from the inside. But crowbars would make it easier, so yeah, I agree on this one.

3) It's not easy to make armour out of paper. But, I guess it would be an OK idea.

4) Yes.

5) Seems pretty good, I like it.

6) Nah. I'd rather take my time sawing logs by hand than using up fuel and making loud noises.

7) Yes.

8) I would just rely on spiked walls instead. Land mines probably aren't easy to set up if you're inexperienced, and they could go off in your face.

9) Yeah.

10) They said that they would never implement "special" zombies, but still, Fort Knox or something would be cool.

11) Why not?

12) Nah. Gasoline is hard to find, so you'd only be able to use it for short periods at a time before it runs out fuel, and what good would that be?

13) I believe they are already planning on adding this.

I get how that magazine armor sounds like a dumb idea if you don't think about it, but it would definitely work. No, it's not kevlar, but you try to bite through a magazine. There also has been proof that paper armor can be sufficient protection from things like blades.

As for naming a gun, Magnum and Carbine are generic terms, so I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to get approval from a gun company, if that's what you are saying. A Magnum is a term for a handgun or revolver firing a more powerful round, usually the .44 magnum round. A Carbine is any rifle with a shorter barrel than a rifle or musket.

-snip-

I get how that magazine armor sounds like a dumb idea if you don't think about it, but it would definitely work. No, it's not kevlar, but you try to bite through a magazine. There also has been proof that paper armor can be sufficient protection from things like blades.

-snip-

What annoys me with the magazine armor idea is that no one would even think about doing it, if it wasn't for that movie... It's the same thing if I'd suddenly suggest making helmets out of large water bottles, you know those 10l ones. Just cut holes for eyes and cut the bottom open. No zombie would munch through that.

The thing is it's just not immersive imo and not that fitting for a zombie game.

EDIT: typos

A carbine and revolver will probably not be added, as they simply don't add much in terms of gameplay value since this isn't really a shoot-em-up type game.

:D

It could be a shoot em up for short periods of time if zombies continuously respawn. Then how fast you're tossing your rounds doesn't matter. Ammo is still limited, but coolness factor increases. An assault carbine will go ratatatat, and you're gone through 25 rounds in 15 seconds. So, if ammo is scarce, you won't have to worry about it becoming too shooter-like all the time. And ammo for automatics should indeed be scarce. And of course, zombies will have to respawn. Which they will, in B28. So, no problem really.

I want an M4! Gimme, dang it!

I see a lot of people shooting down the dead spreading disease and military base ideas, but aren't they confirmed to be already on the way?  That's why burning corpses is being introduced, because living near bodies will result in sickness soon.  And it has been confirmed on the map expansion Fort Knox is going to be on it.