Sometimes I feel like I'm cheating.

k12314

Now, I hardly play Survival. As much as I love the base lore of the game, I prefer to go more for a mix of "Vintage" zombies and "The Walking Dead" zombies. Basically, a virus that re-animates anyone who's dead, but that includes corpses already dead BEFORE the outbreak, not just dead infected people. So we're talking literal walking corpses, so here's the setup. I don't change any game settings, like zombie spawning, just the lore.

Speed: Shamblers

Strength: Weak

Toughness: Fragile

Transmission: Blood + Saliva

Infection Mortality: 2-3 days

Reanimate time: 0-12 hrs

Cognition: Basic navigation

Memory: Short

Decomposition: Slows + Weakens

Sight: Poor

Hearing: Poor

Smell: Poor

This just feels like I'm cheating, to be honest. I know with the lore I follow they're literally dead, rotten bodies walking, so they wouldn't be too smart, and their senses would be screwed, but I just still feel like I'm cheating. I mean, the only way you could get killed by these zombies is if you ran into a horde stark naked screaming like a wild animal.

Think everyone's done this as some stage ;). It's in the game and it's a perfectly legitimate option. I use to play like that, eventually grew bored of it and moved on to greater challenges. Once I'm bored with survival I'll probably go to sandbox and starting playing 28 days later.

It's evolutionary, and sandbox like that is a really good way of learning the game.

I think its great to give the new players these options and just as TinnedEpic has done you can turn up the difficulty as you get better at the game. You could always have slower zombies and huge numbers of them to maintain your preferable zombie lore but increase the difficulty.

Sandbox is an awesome part of the game, I find myself playing survival all the time. But the fact that you can change all those parameters and get an entirely different game experience is just awesome. I'm not playing 28 days! I currently have difficulty surviving a week on standard survival. I probably should switch to k12314's setup and get myself more experienced. :)

Well, the thing is, I left zombie spawning on normal, so there's still a fucking load of them all over the place, like, a horde at every corner. That, and with the meta game, once you have a nice little safehouse set up, they very slowly work their way towards you. So you gotta be nomadic, or be ready for an ultimate shitstorm after about a month.

Nah, cheating is when you realize that you can get a head start on a zom horde by quitting and reloading.  ;)

Setting params is just what the Sandbox is for.  It's like the map - I don't really think it is cheating by using it, but it's a player preference kind of thing.

Nah, cheating is when you realize that you can get a head start on a zom horde by quitting and reloading.   ;)

Setting params is just what the Sandbox is for.  It's like the map - I don't really think it is cheating by using it, but it's a player preference kind of thing.

Yeah. What I plan on doing soon is basically setting it up the way I have it now, but with more zombies, and I'll start a few months ahead of Survival (So instead of August, about November or so) so it's like you've lasted a few months but everything's gone to shit.

Now, I hardly play Survival. As much as I love the base lore of the game, I prefer to go more for a mix of "Vintage" zombies and "The Walking Dead" zombies. Basically, a virus that re-animates anyone who's dead, but that includes corpses already dead BEFORE the outbreak, not just dead infected people. So we're talking literal walking corpses, so here's the setup. I don't change any game settings, like zombie spawning, just the lore.

What do you mean "Vintage" vs. "The Walking Dead"? Night of the Living Dead was the beginning of the genre & in that movie ALL of the recent, unburied dead were returning to "life" due to solar radiation brought back by the Venus probe.

Seriously, watch that movie (make sure its the 1968 version coz 1990 sucks). The very first zombie you see successfully chases a car.... not sprinting but FAST SHAMBLING, if you get my drift. The Devs have put a lot of work into the "proper zombies" & the ONLY WAY they could be more Romero is if everyone who dies comes back

EDIT: & campfires.... Romero's ghouls were afraid of fire, not attracted to it

I hate the ideology of 28 days zombies... I just don't like them. :)

Agreed.... 28 Days Later completely bastardised Romero's Idea, If I were him I would have been Pissed! I don't mind sprinters & even Romero started using them later on (Dawn of the Dead 2003, Day of the Dead 2008 - Mind you that movie sucks as well) but 28 Days Later zombies don't even eat the living, the only reason they bite is because they've gone completely psycho.... In 28 Weeks later there is a woman restrained on an examination table with a "zombie" in the room, In any other movie she would have been eaten alive, but she gets beaten to death..... WTF?

Oh & if I haven't persuaded you that 28 Days Later is gay already, I've got three words for you:-

THE..... SCARECROWS..... PENIS

:P

-Snip-

What I mean by "vintage" is classical zombies, as in, dead people clawing out of their graves. But, those zombies were only, well, already dead. I also mix it with The Walking Dead because it isn't a "curse" or "black magic" like in a lot of older zombie movies, and instead that it is a virus that takes over the body through a bite.

What I mean by "vintage" is classical zombies, as in, dead people clawing out of their graves. But, those zombies were only, well, already dead. I also mix it with The Walking Dead because it isn't a "curse" or "black magic" like in a lot of older zombie movies, and instead that it is a virus that takes over the body through a bite.

Fair enough, though I don't think "vintage" is the word for it.... The only movies I remember that had zombies clawing out of their graves was Return of the Living Dead. Pre Night of the Living Dead zombie movies were about Haitian (voodoo) zombies which, not only didn't involve roaming around & eating people, but were actually based on a certain amount of fact.... Refined Puffer fish venom works like the poison from Romeo & Juliet. They would poison people, dig them up after their funeral & force them into slavery.... Records of this happening as recently as the 60's

Anyway, my point was that Romero's ghouls were the original Zombie Apocalypse zombies & therefore are the "vintage" ones

The ones that claw their way out of the ground crying "Brains" didn't show up until the 80's.... lets call them "popular" zombies just for clarities sake :)

Fair enough, though I don't think "vintage" is the word for it.... The only movies I remember that had zombies clawing out of their graves was Return of the Living Dead. Pre Night of the Living Dead zombie movies were about Haitian (voodoo) zombies which, not only didn't involve roaming around & eating people, but were actually based on a certain amount of fact.... Refined Puffer fish venom works like the poison from Romeo & Juliet. They would poison people, dig them up after their funeral & force them into slavery.... Records of this happening as recently as the 60's

Anyway, my point was that Romero's ghouls were the original Zombie Apocalypse zombies & therefore are the "vintage" ones

The ones that claw their way out of the ground crying "Brains" didn't show up until the 80's.... lets call them "popular" zombies just for clarities sake :)

Right. I was thinking "vintage" in the sense of something old that everyone remembers, you know, like the 80's. Loads of people know about all kinds of stuff from the 80's, but stuff from the 80's is considered old.

That's just my take on the term, though.

Have you tried lower density with higher sensitivity or speed yet? High numbers with low sensitivity? The possibilities are quite interesting.

Well, in .16 I turned up zombies to High and set everything low, and I must say, it is a lot scarier seeing a shitload of dumb, walking corpses now that the spawning is fixed.

Right. I was thinking "vintage" in the sense of something old that everyone remembers, you know, like the 80's. Loads of people know about all kinds of stuff from the 80's, but stuff from the 80's is considered old.

That's just my take on the term, though.

I'm from the 80's.... :(

I think that, "that everyone remembers" is the key phrase there.... Then again that's just my take ;)

If you don't mind older movies, check out White Zombie (1932) its the perfect example of the fictionalisation of Haitian zombies & of what Zombie movies were like before Night of the Living Dead.... Should be able to find a torrent, the directors/actors are probably dead & buried so I consider it public domain :)