Project Zomboid won't start

Jengo

Question

I bought Project Zomboid on Steam last night.  I tried playing it, and it took 5 minutes to get to the main menu of the game.  When the main menu finally loaded, I started a new game.  After setting up my new game, it starts loading.  It gets to the "This is how you died" part, and then stayed black.  At the bottom, it said "Loading."  It never loaded, though.

I tried playing PZ in safe mode.  No change.

I tried reinstalling it twice.  PZ now stops responding when it first launches.  Eventually, it loads to the main menu, though.  And when I try starting a game, it gets stuck on "Loading titledefinitions from disk." and won't load further.  I let it sit loading for about 10 minutes before closing it.

My PC's specs are:

CPU: Core i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB of DDR3 1600MHZ

Video Card: GeForce GTX 760 w/ 2GB DDR5 VRAM

Hard Drive: SATA3 1TB WD 7200 64MB

I tried searching for answers to this problem, but didn't find any.  I'm really wanting to play it.

5 answers to this question

I bought Project Zomboid on Steam last night.  I tried playing it, and it took 5 minutes to get to the main menu of the game.  When the main menu finally loaded, I started a new game.  After setting up my new game, it starts loading.  It gets to the "This is how you died" part, and then stayed black.  At the bottom, it said "Loading."  It never loaded, though.

I tried playing PZ in safe mode.  No change.

I tried reinstalling it twice.  PZ now stops responding when it first launches.  Eventually, it loads to the main menu, though.  And when I try starting a game, it gets stuck on "Loading titledefinitions from disk." and won't load further.  I let it sit loading for about 10 minutes before closing it.

My PC's specs are:

CPU: Core i5-4670 @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 8GB of DDR3 1600MHZ

Video Card: GeForce GTX 760 w/ 2GB DDR5 VRAM

Hard Drive: SATA3 1TB WD 7200 64MB

I tried searching for answers to this problem, but didn't find any.  I'm really wanting to play it.

Have you tried playing it in windowed mode? If that's not the problem, I would go on steam, go to library, right click Project Zomboid,

Go to properties, Then Click local files. Once there, Click, "Verify Integrity of Games Cache" or something like that. Once that's through, see if that fixed it. That's all I can think of. Hope this solves the problem.

Disable 3D models in Options prior to creating a character or loading a game.

If that fails, do the following:

Go to the installation directory of the game by right clicking on Project Zomboid and selecting Properties in the Steam game library then press the Browse Local Files button shown here: http://i.imgur.com/PFy0kmJ.png

While you have these options open, disable the Steam overlay in the General tab.

Find the ProjectZomboid32.bat file (blue gears for an icon, not a red and black egg) and double click it. Once (if) the game crashes, take a screenshot of the console and upload it to imgur.com, linking it here. This will hopefully tell us what's wrong. =)

I had a problem like that, the issue was that java was not up to date, although it might be diferent on your case.

The game runs on its own bundled version of Java on Windows, the up-to-datedness of your normal Java install doesn't affect PZ.

I had a problem like that, the issue was that java was not up to date, although it might be diferent on your case.

The game runs on its own bundled version of Java on Windows, the up-to-datedness of your normal Java install doesn't affect PZ.

It did mine, for whatever reason