Know of any sad games?

Zimbie

I love how games these days can pull at your heart strings, and even make you cry now and again. I want to know of some games that do this. 

I do however have a rule:

-No TWD games, i've already played both of them.

Bioshock 2 and Infinite made me kinda sad. They'd be nice choices, at least for me. I'm not sure of what else.

Drious is right, in a way. Definitely left me a bit empty.

jRPGs in general - Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 9 in particular (they're so immersive that they made me root for the characters so much...).

Machinarium - the game is sad / nostalgic in general, but there is some light in it as well.

Whisper of a Rose and Winter Voices - both use the theme of a main character trying to overcome some hurdle. The latter does have a nightmarish UI (could have been changed since episode 0), but I did find the novel idea of the game alluring for a while.

Bastion - a strange kid setting on a quest of repairing a broken world - had some technical issues, but they seem to have been resolved.

Can you give me some more info to work with ? What genre / theme ? Do you mind "animesque" graphics ?

EDIT: A friend says: "try Shadow of the Colossus and To The Moon". Didn't play either yet, but she says they're solid.

jRPGs in general - Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 9 in particular (they're so immersive that they made me root for the characters so much...).

Machinarium - the game is sad / nostalgic in general, but there is some light in it as well.

Whisper of a Rose and Winter Voices - both use the theme of a main character trying to overcome some hurdle. The latter does have a nightmarish UI (could have been changed since episode 0), but I did find the novel idea of the game alluring for a while.

Bastion - a strange kid setting on a quest of repairing a broken world - had some technical issues, but they seem to have been resolved.

Can you give me some more info to work with ? What genre / theme ? Do you mind "animesque" graphics ?

EDIT: A friend says: "try Shadow of the Colossus and To The Moon". Didn't play either yet, but she says they're solid.

"Can you give me some more info to work with ? What genre / theme ? Do you mind"animesque" graphics ?

Nah, I don't mind em. 

No particular genre / theme. I like things like TWD tho. Is that classified as a point and click? Cus I like those. When I want a sad game, I don't go for gameplay, I go for story, which TWD does exceptionally well.

I always feel sad when the fun starts and my key dwarves get killed/melted/eaten/fossilized/crushed/delete as appropriate. The interesting thing is just how attached you get to them in a horribly callous megalomaniac kind of way.

I'm talking about Dwarf Fortress by the way. Also if you are looking for story then the entire game is just a ginormous procedural generating fantasy story maker with 2 game modes thrown in just to let players think they are playing.

okay here are the best emotionall games (and essentials that you must play before any indie)

also try anime seeing that there are more and because they are just like playing games

heavy rain

farenheit

beyond two souls    ( i know the first three are all quantim dream)

the last of us

bioshosck games

i guess watch_Dogs ( just because its awesome)

katawa shoujo

Cause of Death

fable (not really but more emotion than fallout)

anime

is this a zombie

attack on titan

future diary

elfin lied

death notw

I love how games these days can pull at your heart strings, and even make you cry now and again. I want to know of some games that do this. 

I do however have a rule:

-No TWD games, i've already played both of them.

Bioshock 2 and Infinite made me kinda sad. They'd be nice choices, at least for me. I'm not sure of what else.

Drious is right, in a way. Definitely left me a bit empty.

yes they where very sad. Booker was such an amazing character and i want to more to his story. I loved how he came back to life after the credits and remembered everything. BEST ENDING EVER

i also fogot the GTA 5 and 4th games. those touch my heart at there saddest. trevor and micheal for instance if you guys know what i mean

oh AND dead space. i cant forget that series. highly emotional with issacs story of blood and love.

oh and if you love TWD you will love heavy rain and beyond and farenheit. THose are choose your adventure. THEir are billions more choices than TWD. and they have endless endings, so much i still play heavy rain from 2009. the games flow on the choices you make. a character you play dies and the story goes on.

Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

really, no one said nintendo.

No one mentioned Mass Effect or Dragon Age yet @.@

Mass effect trilogy is my personal best experience when it comes to emotional games...

Over the period of playing you started to like / dislike some characters, you familiarized with them, thought about their motives. For my part I began to see them partly as "real persons" as there was made much work in characterize them...

The decisions you could make where sometimes cruel for myself, I sometimes even needed a break from gaming to make my decisions.

No other game was so immersive and believable in that way yet for me, even the novels are remarkable good!

tl;dr:

Buy the Bioware RPG's like MassEffect and DragonAge

Gods will be watching bears a remarkable load of despair for an online flash game.

I would add Final Fantasy 7 due to "first" (not true - FF5 !) death which no phoenix down could set right, but pretty much all of the FF games have moments that give you an emotional jolt - positive and negative alike.

Braid - even though the diaries give you clues, the ending of this marioesque game is ...not what one would want in a 'happily ever after' story.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future - yeah, the game is a puzzle and one aimed for a young audience. That said, the ending is bitter to say the least.

Journey - not exactly sad, but it drives home how insignificant we are.

Earthbound (whole series) - IMHO no comment on those is needed.

anime

is this a zombie

attack on titan

future diary

elfin lied

death notw

Air.

Be warned though, while the series initially seems light-hearted, it slowly paves the way to the tragic finale. Another heavy is Grave of the Fireflies and, as Tsukune said, Elfen Lied (though that one has extreme violence / gore. Not a pointless bloodbath though.). Not sure where to add Aku no Hana (based on Baudelaire's novels), as it is more disturbing (and extremely so, if you're a philosophically inclined person) than tragic.

Mediums: Berserk (We learn the "ending" in Ep01, now let us watch the characters futile struggle to avoid fate. Medieval setting and a chanson de geste style), Hell Girl (everyday / everyman tragedies) and Monster (theme for this one can be simplified to "how to manufacture the ultimate evil").

Light: Another, Ayashi no Ceres, Higurashi no naku koro ni and Umineko no naku koro ni, Claymore, Angel Links (odd one, but still keeps you hoping for what can never be), Zetsuen no Tempest (I'd recommend that one for the Shakespearean background notes) and Perfect Blue.

Involving emotionally, but not quite sad: Hack // Sign, Utawarerumono, Yume Tsukai and Loups=Garous.

No one mentioned Mass Effect or Dragon Age yet @.@

Mass effect trilogy is my personal best experience when it comes to emotional games...

Over the period of playing you started to like / dislike some characters, you familiarized with them, thought about their motives. For my part I began to see them partly as "real persons" as there was made much work in characterize them...

The decisions you could make where sometimes cruel for myself, I sometimes even needed a break from gaming to make my decisions.

No other game was so immersive and believable in that way yet for me, even the novels are remarkable good!

tl;dr:

Buy the Bioware RPG's like MassEffect and DragonAge

those arent sad sad games. they are happy

besides when sheppard dies.

those arent sad sad games. they are happy

OP seems to be 'out on the town', so would you (or anyone else) mind giving me their rundown of Mass Effect ? Sounds like an involving series, but somehow the wiki / gameplay videos seem somehow lacking.

spolier

If you want to add a spoiler, it might be prudent to

Use square (not normal ones, like in my example) brackets:

(spoiler) your spoiler text here (/spoiler)

OP seems to be 'out on the town', so would you (or anyone else) mind giving me their rundown of Mass Effect ? Sounds like an involving series, but somehow the wiki / gameplay videos seem somehow lacking.

Mass Effect is definitely one of my favorite narrative series of all time, that and The Wolf Among US along with The Walking Dead series by Telltale. Mass Effect is a great series, but does have some serious flaws.

For one, the story tends to get bogged down by forcing the player to grind his way through boring missions or side quests. This is more prevalent in ME1 than any of its sequels. I found myself chucking the game on Easy just so I can shoot through some of the more boring levels. ME2 suffers slightly from this as well with it's resource gathering mechanic which I found interesting but poorly implemented and in the end added nothing to the gameplay. ME3 toned this down, was much faster pace and stronger narrative. ME3 is actually hard to fault other than that 'ending'...

All in all I'd highly recommend Mass Effect, as well as TWAU and TWD.

All in all I'd highly recommend Mass Effect, as well as TWAU and TWD.

Agreed! Thing I very liked about ME, was that I didn't see any references to other lore. Some things you could interpretate to some other things, but for myself it felt kind of unique which I very liked. ME2>ME1>ME3

Back-toTopic:

Sometimes, very happy stories can hide in big desperation.For a strange reason the saddest games I think about, they are the happiest at the same time. The first thing I think about disturbing sadness would always be the Silent hill series, which gave me personally weeks to play and years of philosophy and self reflection. Two other, quite short games, written in flash are CoM and Coma, which I very liked, because they took me in a very short time into a deep melancholic mood.

Company of myself

Coma

Silent Hill

Funnily enough I found Mass Effect 1 to be the best of the bunch. 2 was good and did have a great ending but I preferred d the pace of the first. I would love to play 3 but I haven't yet because screw Origin (its bad enough having 1 DRM software on my PC let alone one operated by EA of all companies. Id rather use the Nazis as childminders).

Final Fantasy 7 gave me a strong tug at my heartstrings at key moments too.