Chatting About NPCs

migulao

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happened above never happened, let'ts talk about NPC's! What do you think will happen when you will see a friend in need? Maybe we could do random personalty for the person playing, so when you see a friend in danger it could freeze in place for bit.

What I'm wondering about is how they're going to do conversations. I've read about the whole "emotions" style of doing(picking the type of tone) that were with the old NPCs but I honestly liked the "hotkey" idea that I saw suggested in a thread. It just sounds more natural to me.

Might you mean this one?: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10026-responding-to-npcs/

Anyway, it's going to be decided by the meta-game.

If you don't see them onscreen, then the actions will still happen, but they won't have a physical form, they will just happen in the meta-game.

If they ARE onscreen, then the only diferences are they will have a physical form, and you can interrupt them, thus ruining everything the governor set up for the scene, and they will talk diferently based on the situation and personality, and then, they will say one of 3+ sentences that are reserved for that situation and npc personality alone.

What I'm wondering about is how they're going to do conversations. I've read about the whole "emotions" style of doing(picking the type of tone) that were with the old NPCs but I honestly liked the "hotkey" idea that I saw suggested in a thread. It just sounds more natural to me.

Might you mean this one?: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/10026-responding-to-npcs/

If you don't see them onscreen, then the actions will still happen, but they won't have a physical form, they will just happen in the meta-game.

If they ARE onscreen, then the only diferences are they will have a physical form, and you can interrupt them, thus ruining everything the governor set up for the scene, and they will talk diferently based on the situation and personality, and then, they will say one of 3+ sentences that are reserved for that situation and npc personality alone.

I remember a Mondoid where TIS talked about old NPC's, Saying that the way they did them that the player code was outdated, So they said "Why can't NPC's be like you but not controlled by you?" So all NPC's out of range will be meta, and as you are close to them you are flesh and blood. And thus creatng a world of tense Meta and a new way of playing.

I remember a Mondoid where TIS talked about old NPC's, Saying that the way they did them that the player code was outdated, So they said "Why can't NPC's be like you but not controlled by you?" So all NPC's out of range will be meta, and as you are close to them you are flesh and blood. And thus creatng a world of tense Meta and a new way of playing.

And then, the NPCs will literally come to life.

One question, am i now stuck with this? If i am i want to be a lurker... This is why we can't have great things

Not sure how continuing to talk about it in several threads, in PM, and in your signature is going to lead to positive things, friend.

Let the mysteries of the forum work themselves out.

My signature lead to bad things.....

(DON'T TRUST HIM Daman!)

One question, am i now stuck with this? If i am i want to be a lurker... This is why we can't have great things

Not sure how continuing to talk about it in several threads, in PM, and in your signature is going to lead to positive things, friend.

(DON'T TRUST HIM Daman!)

Did your title change? what is CBBO ?

I cant wait to go running around whacking peoples skulls with frying pans :D

I would just use you to make pancakes, but okay.

(DON'T TRUST HIM Daman!)

It's GBBO, The Great British Bake Off

(DON'T TRUST HIM Daman!)

It's GBBO, The Great British Bake Off

Lol i love Enigma

I am fine with NPC's not being released for a year or more, I would rather have them working perfectly then shooting their pistol when I told them to hide.

Or act like Ian from Fallout and empty half a clip into your spine and make your innards become outards... or something like that.

But yes, complete agreement with you here; there's so many variables that could be added to NPCs so an expecting a lot of iterations here.

I wouldn't mind some kind of trade system with NPCs being available, but that may not be feasible.

A bartering system would be absolutely vital I'd say. The ability to trade something they want for something I want would be a major boon to NPC's in general and the usefulness of them. I don't really have any doubt that we'd be able to barter.

Mmmmm baked goods...

drool.gif

â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“

â–’â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“

â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“â–‘â–“â–‘â–“

â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“

â–“â–‘â–‘â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–“â–‘â–‘â–‘â–‘â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–“â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–“â–’â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–“â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

(I wish I could put thought, or something intelligent in my comments.)

Mmmmm baked goods...

drool.gif

â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

I cant take it anymore, how in da hell do you put up those cubes? I must know!

I MUST draw jebediah kerman!

Mmmmm baked goods...

drool.gif

â–“â–“â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–“â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–’â–“

I cant take it anymore, how in da hell do you put up those cubes? I must know!

I MUST draw jebediah kerman!

The secret, is mine...

(ALT plus: 176, 177, 178)