Chatting About NPCs

migulao

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get it, when are we getting NPCs?

Indiestone hasn't given ETA's in a year or more but I'd say the first public builds (with limited NPC actions) will be released in about 4-6 months judging by their development speed.

Then again they never said anything about the multiplayer being released until about 2 weeks before their release so I might be wrong.

But 3 months are a minimum from what I've read.

I dont get it, when are we getting NPCs?

Indiestone hasn't given ETA's in a year or more but I'd say the first public builds (with limited NPC actions) will be released in about 4-6 months judging by their development speed.

Then again they never said anything about the multiplayer being released until about 2 weeks before their release so I might be wrong.

But 3 months are a minimum from what I've read.

I can't wait, the only way I can keep my hype at bay is with keshin

My plan is to play online with a couple of friends. Each friend leading their own group of NPCs, waging an unholy nerd war against each other. 

*double post*

That would be awesome!! Server with pvp turned off, but where you could send NPCs to gank other players. :o

Project Zomboid? a survival game where not only do you need to take care of all human needs (besides bladder), but now, you will have to manage an army, it will become the most awesome RTS EVAH

If that interests you, you should try Kenshi. It's basically that, with swords. 

http://lofigames.com/

Off-topic, but dude I never checked on Kenshi in ages, I was looking to buy that and held it off, looks really awesome now!

Overgrowth is also a really awesome game with great hand to hand combat. 

Careful with that hype. She's a dangerous weapon. ;)

Only if the moderators come by :3

They're always breathing down your neck

smelling your hair

OH NO, THE DEAL WAS BUSTED! RUN, EVERY SPIFFO FOR HIMSELF!

Wait, I forgot to add ''discussion'' to tags...

God Im a twat

The first thing I'll do when NPC's come out will be screwing with them. Find some, kill some, steal things, get killed, repeat. That's how my first characters will die when survivors are out.

So much potential, and you just wanna shoot 'hem?

Why not kill them...

With Style

aka the sims style.

Burn them!

Trap and starve them!

feed them to hordes of zombies!

burn them again!

force them to jump down a building!

shoot them and throw the bodies down the bulding!

AND THE BEST OF ALL:

Make

Them

Drink

Bleach.

You knew this one was coming.

(As I type this, Im currently downloading the sims 2 ultimate collection)

One of the things I'm most looking forward to with NPCs is all the interactions within the group.

Also, I'd be curious about what happens if you find a group of survivors and they let you join them.... but there'd be no reason for them to instantly treat you as their leader. Would the NPC in-charge basically assign quests to you? Or will they end up just seeing the Hand Of God on your shoulder and immediatly do whatever you say?

Also, I'd be curious about what happens if you find a group of survivors and they let you join them.... but there'd be no reason for them to instantly treat you as their leader. Would the NPC in-charge basically assign quests to you? Or will they end up just seeing the Hand Of God on your shoulder and immediatly do whatever you say?

Player doesn't automatically get to be group leader, he'll be given tasks the same as other group members.

well, there is so many variations on how to play with npcs, friendly or foe that i dont now what i would prefer, i guess i will be ok with anythink that works fine in the game lol but i would love one little detail tho, in your party i agree with a top number and even so they must keep independent(you dont command them directly) but in your group, i think the number would be free, only decided by your resources and relation between them, and on top of that, the only command your should ever have over them should be  defining their role in the group, for example, a farmer, a fisher, a cooker, a handyman, a guard, while some roles are prety much easy to do, there are some that probably would be to much complicated to work in the game like the handyman, maybe that role should be yours alone lol but more important than anything else there should be a balance, they should be able to go do their tasks without die by the first bad situation they get into but they Should die, the last thing i want is an horde of survivers terrifying the zeds ... lol

well, there is so many variations on how to play with npcs, friendly or foe that i dont now what i would prefer, i guess i will be ok with anythink that works fine in the game lol but i would love one little detail tho, in your party i agree with a top number and even so they must keep independent(you dont command them directly) but in your group, i think the number would be free, only decided by your resources and relation between them, and on top of that, the only command your should ever have over them should be  defining their role in the group, for example, a farmer, a fisher, a cooker, a handyman, a guard, while some roles are prety much easy to do, there are some that probably would be to much complicated to work in the game like the handyman, maybe that role should be yours alone lol but more important than anything else there should be a balance, they should be able to go do their tasks without die by the first bad situation they get into but they Should die, the last thing i want is an horde of survivers terrifying the zeds ... lol

No, you're really going more command over them, every group needs a leader, and if it doesnt get one, it is full anarchy.

For groups I think it would be interesting if there could be a coup d'etat. So say everyone liked you in your group, and not everyone liked the leader of a group you could get you and your supporters to kill the leader and take power.

This will be the case, more likely than not.

-snip-

in case you didnt know, there are other types of punctuation marks than a comma, you can use them to make sentences more comprehensible, ill give you an example,

There's also the thing that usually comes after one of these new kinds of punctuation marks. It's a capital letter. ;)

Back on topic:

No, you're really going more command over them, every group needs a leader, and if it doesnt get one, it is full anarchy.

Why? That's not how people work. We don't need a supreme leader that dictates every move we make. People are perfectly able to make their own decisions. So should NPCs. If they don't want to cultivate a farm because the leader hasn't given them food in a few days they can go off, find their own and then come back. That doesn't mean they're anarchist unless the leader decides so.

i dont want a group of brainless survivors...that only do what you command, and dont do anything unless you command

For groups I think it would be interesting if there could be a coup d'etat. So say everyone liked you in your group, and not everyone liked the leader of a group you could get you and your supporters to kill the leader and take power.

This will be the case, more likely than not.

-snip-

in case you didnt know, there are other types of punctuation marks than a comma, you can use them to make sentences more comprehensible, ill give you an example,

There's also the thing that usually comes after one of these new kinds of punctuation marks. It's a capital letter. ;)

Back on topic:

Why? That's not how people work. We don't need a supreme leader that dictates every move we make. People are perfectly able to make their own decisions. So should NPCs. If they don't want to cultivate a farm because the leader hasn't given them food in a few days they can go off, find their own and then come back. That doesn't mean they're anarchist unless the leader decides so.

while i agree every npc should have a personality and act by it, and do things that they think they have to, i just agree with you to a degree, when you are in a group that have a leader or group of leaders, you are not free to do whatever you want, this doenst mean you cant do it, but if you do it and end doing something wrong, you dont expect that will end well for you in the group

we must have a balance betwen command and free wil that secures order while not stealing freedom, as an example, if as a leader i give you the task to hunt, i certainly dont want to take your hand on how to do it, but i expect you will do it the best you can, what you do after you acomplish your task is up to you unless you do some shit that hurts the group

just my way to see it

Yeah I don't think every group needs a leader, if we have 4 people and they all like eachother the same roughly then why would they declare a leader? Same with two brothers for example, would one always serve the other? I doubt it, it would be mutual cooperation surely in smaller groups.

Another thing would be that not all people follow orders, if I get told to chop wood I'd tell the 'leader' to go fuck himself because I am better suited at looting. There would have to be a way for me to complain to this so-called 'leader' that I want to do something else, before I go all-out and ignore what he/she says. Maybe he/she pays me a little something something on the side to ensure my compliance and that I won't go causing an uproar. On the other hand if the guy has a lot of friends with bats and guns I might be inclined to give the leader something on the side in order to get the job I want.

I am very interested in seeing how internal politics would work like that. Because let's be honest everyone has a favorite job.

What I am going to do when NPCs come out is turn off zombies in sandbox and form a group of NPCs to be criminals and kill all the other NPCs.

That actually sounds awesome.

It's an abandoned city, only populated by few criminals.

The only thing that wouldn't make sense is how the NPCs will still talk about zombies and such.

I have mixed feelings about npcs since I can remember when they were in the game. I know they're getting improved but zomboid really rewards ultra safe game play, It'll be hard for me to not just kill on sight. I remember plenty of

oh hey a survivor! Lets go make friends!

Survivor: Fuck you

Well whats not polite

Survivor shot guns you in the face ending your playthrough

Or you know waking up and noticing all the barricades are gone from all the windows and now theres blood stains on your floor you meticulous worked to ensure didnt happen when removing the zombies from the premise.

I've been proving that I don't need them since their removal, I don't plan on changing that aspect unless there is some jesus feature that I'm sure wont get iterated on for years.

Call me negative nancy but I think while the tech will be impressive, I don't think they're going to add quite as much favorable gameplay at their launch as people are hyping up for.

I have mixed feelings about npcs since I can remember when they were in the game. I know they're getting improved but zomboid really rewards ultra safe game play, It'll be hard for me to not just kill on sight. I remember plenty of

oh hey a survivor! Lets go make friends!

Survivor: Fuck you

Well whats not polite

Survivor shot guns you in the face ending your playthrough

Or you know waking up and noticing all the barricades are gone from all the windows and now theres blood stains on your floor you meticulous worked to ensure didnt happen when removing the zombies from the premise.

I've been proving that I don't need them since their removal, I don't plan on changing that aspect unless there is some jesus feature that I'm sure wont get iterated on for years.

Call me negative nancy but I think while the tech will be impressive, I don't think they're going to add quite as much favorable gameplay at their launch as people are hyping up for.

The NPCs aren't supposed to help you, in fact, they are supposed to make the game more realistic and hard, you genuenly have to be carefull about how you speak with other survivors.