Zombie changes.

Alex2213

In this thread I will make some points of the changes/additions to the zombies in this game.

First of all the zombies at the moment don't seem to be a threat. At all. I stopped playing survival all together because I just stopped dieing in it. Is it because I'm amazing at the game.... Maybe. Or maybe its because once you get the fundamental mechanics of the games combat system down taking out zombies becomes extremely easy. I know NPCS are going to be the main threat, but zombies are certainly supposed to be something you should worry about.The zombies are to easy to handle because of a few things;

1. There extremely weak, you can give them a little shove and they fall on the floor. 

Look at this scenes from Day Of The Dead. 

When the zombie breaks free and grabs Pvt. Miller, Miller goes back because he can't push the zombie off which leads to a bite.

Overall one zombie alone should be dangerous. A game that I think done well with this is No More Room In Hell. 

2. Zombies are almost always spread out, no hordes. (I know they're adding this)

3. Your character can go from standing still into a instant running motion. This makes it extremely easy to avoid any contact with zombies. You hit one, run back and turn around, then hit another and then repeat. 

4. When moving past a zombie while you're in its reach it doesn't grab you, it usually just bites the air.

5. They never catch you by surprise. I don't know how you'd fix this one, but most of the time in a movie or TV show there is always at least one character who gets bitten by a zombie before he knows the zombie is there. In the years I have been playing this it has never happened to me.

Now I know the zombie migration system is being worked on so you can't just settle down in a house and have no threat to worry about. But without some of these things being addressed when a horde attacks your base most of the time it will be nothing but a minor inconvenience.

I also don't think the migration system should be based off of realism or what we think would happen. I think the "sadistic AI director" should be a default. It should be this way to keep the game interesting. When people talk about their story, they should be saying stuff like "I got a base set up with these NPCS. A week or two past by and shit started to go crazy!" not "I got a base set up with NPCS. 6 month passed and I saw another zombie."

I also believe the zombie behaviour is a little bit strange. The majority of the Romero zombies roamed aimlessly, they never stood still waiting for something to catch their attention. 

The last thing I would like to mention is something that the developers said they'd put in, so I suppose its a friendly reminder...

Gore! Most of the memorable deaths in a zombie movie or TV show has one thing in common, which is the character gets ripped apart by the zombies. Captain Rhodes when he got ripped in half, or most of the bikers deaths from Dawn Of The Dead. When my character goes out, I want him to go out in style... A very painful looking style. 

Thanks for reading and I hope you take some of the things I've said into consideration.

1) It's the group of zombies that's meant to be a threat rather than the individual. You can see this in shows like the Walking Dead, where dealing with a single zombie is trivial, it's the horde that is the main threat. Your example shows death by distraction, rather than by the overwhelming strength of a single zombie. A single shambling corpse just isn't much of an opponent.

2) I, too, wish there were more solid hordes.

3) Fair enough.

4) I've not seen that outside of multiplayer. If you're close enough for a zombie to "bite," you're close enough for it to decrease your movement speed. This increases dramatically depending on the number of zombies within arms' reach.

5) You'll find quite a few people that are afraid of beds, windows, and bathrooms that'll disagree. ;)

1) It's the group of zombies that's meant to be a threat rather than the individual. You can see this in shows like the Walking Dead, where dealing with a single zombie is trivial, it's the horde that is the main threat. Your example shows death by distraction, rather than by the overwhelming strength of a single zombie. A single shambling corpse just isn't much of an opponent.

2) I, too, wish there were more solid hordes.

3) Fair enough.

4) I've not seen that outside of multiplayer. If you're close enough for a zombie to "bite," you're close enough for it to decrease your movement speed. This increases dramatically depending on the number of zombies within arms' reach.

5) You'll find quite a few people that are afraid of beds, windows, and bathrooms that'll disagree. ;)

For number one, the game takes influence from romero's stuff more than The Walking dead, in the original Night Of The Living dead Barbra's brother had an extremely hard time wrestling a zombie at the very start. They shouldn't be to tough but not as weak as they are now. 

Number four I tested out right before i posted this on survival. I walked passed a single zombie in its range to grab me and it either bit the air or just turned without even trying to grab me.

I agree with everything except this. I don't even bother to sheet windows anymore, since I can literally be looking at zombies outside my window when I sleep and they don't care unless they'd already noticed me beforehand.

The fear of beds is an illusion. Maybe in an older version it was different.

For number one, the game takes influence from romero's stuff more than The Walking dead, in the original Night Of The Living dead Barbra's brother had an extremely hard time wrestling a zombie at the very start. They shouldn't be to tough but not as weak as they are now.

Romero is rather inconstant, like as not. One moment, zombies are a push over, the next they can pull someone to pieces.

Personally, I prefer the "semi-uncoordinated meat-sack with an appetite" version that's only dangerous when more than one is present (or when you're distracted).

Number four I tested out right before i posted this on survival. I walked passed a single zombie in its range to grab me and it either bit the air or just turned without even trying to grab me.

Walked past a single zombie just now, was slowed down (grabbed), and bit. Now, you can certainly run past one, but if you find yourself within range of 2-3, they'll impact your locomotion.

The fear of beds is an illusion. Maybe in an older version it was different.

They might have removed the chance for crawlers to spawn inside, now that you mention it. They'd clip through the bed, and therefore "hide" under it at the most inconvenient times.

Lol. That does sound scary.

Anyway, in regards to the OP, I don't think it's right to focus on the superhuman aspects of zombies in Romero's films. I think that the mythos that Romero established about zombies is more important. They are slow, innumerable, and impossible to hide from, and were the first horror movie to take place in modern, everyday locations. In all these ways, they symbolize the looming inevitability of death that we all face and is something zomboid stays true to thematically. In this sense, I think zomboid respects the Romero mythos.

Could it do it better? Sure, but that's mostly because the gameplay mechanics aren't working very well yet. I don't think giving individual zombies superhuman strength or invisibility is the solution, though.

Zombies always seem to find you in traditional zombie films. They ultimately come in numbers that you can't deal with, but that doesn't always mean they come in a horde. If the protagonist is weak, a couple zombies is enough to achieve the same effect. If the protagonist is in a group, then the horde is proportionally large.

In Zomboid, there are potentially enough zombies to achieve this, but they are too stupid to find you. This is only half because the zombies don't migrate properly at the moment. I also think that the designers are also inappropriately simulationist. They seem to want to reward players that hide from zombies and play it safe by modeling a zombie that functions like some kind of animal; if you leave it alone, it doesn't react to you.

While this is realistic, it is inappropriate. If we were being realistic, zombies would never destroy the world. Ten people with sharp sticks and a chain link fence could kill a thousand in a single day. There is no asymptomatic stage of infection and symptoms are immediately apparent to laymen, so the primary causes of pandemic are negated. The zombified actively present themselves to danger, including corrosive weather and immune wild animals.

So you have to draw the line somewhere. I think the designers' zombie is too simulationist. The advantage of a true Romero zombie is that it is naturally pretty gamist. Innumerable zombies empowers the player even when they win; the more it takes to overpower him before he has to run/die, the more powerful he feels. Omniscient zombies keep the player fighting/running/surviving, rather than playing farmville. Slow, weak zombies actually reward tactical barricading beyond just roleplaying your base, provided we get some larger buildings to escape through in future updates.

I'm not saying you should make them last stand omniscient, since that prevents basing and sleeping entirely, but it is dramatically preferable to the bullshit safety that we experience atm in Zomboid. Even when they implement zomboid migration, I doubt they intend your safe house to come under attack more frequently than a week or so. And in real life, this would be true. Beyond the chance encounter of a wandering horde, there is no realistic reason that sufficiently distant zombies would wander towards your location more frequently than any other.

The problem is that this is boring, and has never been true for any zombie mythos, even modern ones like TWD. Beyond the climactic horde that forces you to grab your shit and run, there is always a constant trickle of zombies that attrites ammo and stokes survivor tensions to generate the true Romero threat: other people. If zombie migration only brings a horde once a week, then the player will still be able to stockpile ammo and encouraged to farmville for the other 85% of the game. If you don't punish the player for playing farmville, then he's going to play it. It's the most effective method of survival, even if it is the most boring and completely removed from ZOMBIES.

So if you're going to take anything from Romero, it should be the zombie omniscience. Don't grab all zombies in all locations constantly like Last Stand does, but grab a selection of zombies in nearby map cells a few times every day and have them wander to random locations inside recently inhabited cells. Players may bitch about it being unrealistic, but it's better than them getting bored.

Just give them tools to manage the problem of fifty+ zombies wandering into their square every day. Make tall fences destructible but ridiculously durable and reward the player for fencing hundreds of zombies like they do in TWD. Make walls similarly destructible, but prevent the player from attacking through them like fences to encourage realistic base design. If there are more zombies migrating towards the base than the player has weapons to kill them, then the base is necessarily temporary.

If you balance it properly, that provides an endgame to zomboid that would last until the player dies. It would make food and water scarce again. It may even make ammo and weapons scarce for once. It would certainly let people actually brag about living for six months.

4. When moving past a zombie while you're in its reach it doesn't grab you, it usually just bites the air.

Sometimes the grabbing happens incognito which means that when you get close enough they are slowing you down regardless if they have their hands pointed at you...IMO.

5. They never catch you by surprise. I don't know how you'd fix this one, but most of the time in a movie or TV show there is always at least one character who gets bitten by a zombie before he knows the zombie is there. In the years I have been playing this it has never happened to me.

They've caught me by surprise plenty of times and I'm a very careful player...I'm still not sure if the zed spawn randomly or randomly near hordes in build 27 or do they just appear on the edge of the map and go from there...

I also believe the zombie behaviour is a little bit strange. The majority of the Romero zombies roamed aimlessly, they never stood still waiting for something to catch their attention.

This is true. I find it odd that the zed are just standing there..rarely moving maybe 2 or 3 feet. I would like to see them shambling 200 or 300 feet every now and then. The game lacks the distractions needed for the zed to roam because of something (yes there are gunshots etc) but those are very machine like as is the implemented horde travel factor (which is a good thing that it's there).

Just yesterday I ran into a big school building and the alarm went off. As I left I saw a horde gathering up and backing against the door that set off the alarm and thought "Well...no business going there ever again..". The next morning I went back to see how big of a horde had gathered...there was one zed left leaning at thin air. Now I know that maybe there was some other sound (gunshot? :) ) that could have drawn them away but shouldn't they have at least broken down the door (wasn't that implemented in build 27)? Their memory is way too short but I guess you can fix that in sandbox mode? Or does that just make them come excatly after you no matter how you turn and twist? Because what I'm going after is that they remember the general direction longer...not that they know where you are.

Don't grab all zombies in all locations constantly like Last Stand does, but grab a selection of zombies in nearby map cells a few times every day and have them wander to random locations inside recently inhabited cells. Players may bitch about it being unrealistic, but it's better than them getting bored.

This is a good idea but without the "recently inhabited cells". That way it's totally random as it should be and you get the threat of random kicking your ass. For me, random is more of a threat than any zombie ever will be. If the zed would be on the move all the time albeit slowly....now THAT would make it challenging...challenngngn...harder.

I think the problem here lies in that there lacks a way of representing to the player, why the zombies are moving. Many got frustrated when the zombies "found you instantly" when in reality they just might've stumbled there by accident.

The gunshots are a start and I think once we get live animals and NPCs drawing the zombies and maybe make them wander longer after their prey, this'll be better. That added to the migration should cover it imo.

Why not create some kind of zombie a little tougher!

Zombies which is logical, not super mutant zombie or zombie. No example of a zombie policeman with his vest Kevlard would necessarily harder to kill with firearms. (we would recognize thanks to its uniform)

835965policezombi.png

There could also be people who are killed in cold places like cold room. Suddenly the zombie is slower but also more resistant to melee weapons. It is obvious that this kind of zombie do intersect in the restaurant and that after some time it thaws. (we would recognize as it is white and releases cold.)

470968Zombiglace.png

Does no one else pretty much last forever now in survival. And Lamenuit the developers always said they were not going to add special zombies but maybe zombies with armor etc, which is the right way to go.

I just believe something about them that I can not pinpoint is completely wrong making them to easy to handle. When your fighting a zombie one on one it feels like you're fighting a piece of paper. You need to remember although a zombie is not extremely strong it still has the body weight as a human. So pushing a zombie three yards away from you with a heavy axe is not right.

I think my point 3 is something important as well.

They also don't usually surround you very well, as long as your walking backwards they line up pretty nicely.

Four point 4, I noticed a bit of a slowdown in my walk, but as long as I keep walking I end up undamaged....    

Zombies which is logical, not super mutant zombie or zombie. No example of a zombie policeman with his vest Kevlard would necessarily harder to kill with firearms. (we would recognize thanks to its uniform)

-snip

With this part, I agree on. A zombie who has simply died with his helmet/bullet proof vest etc. That'd be realistic while creating some sort of variety. But that can simply just be a regular zombie with a helmet spawned on it's head or as in the pic a police or a military dude.

Actually something like this was said would happen by RingoD a while ago.

EDIT: double post

Does no one else pretty much last forever now in survival. And Lamenuit the developers always said they were not going to add special zombies but maybe zombies with armor etc, which is the right way to go.

I just believe something about them that I can not pinpoint is completely wrong making them to easy to handle. When your fighting a zombie one on one it feels like you're fighting a piece of paper. You need to remember although a zombie is not extremely strong it still has the body weight as a human. So pushing a zombie three yards away from you with a heavy axe is not right.

They also don't usually surround you very well, as long as your walking backwards they line up pretty nicely.

Four point 4, I noticed a bit of a slowdown in my walk, but as long as I keep walking I end up undamaged....    

Yes, I saw that Dev did not want to make special zombies. But that is not made ​​in really talking about special zombies. But simply dead person special way. A dead policeman in riot uniform anti, his zombie will necessarily tougher.

A dead man in a cold room will not create a special zombie, is the reaction of the cold will cause the zombie that will rise will be special. And therefore, it will be hard to kill zombie.

A man who died by falling into water, do not make him a special zombie, but the body's reaction with water will ensure that his body is filled with water. Of this fact! Zombie ensuing will also be filled with water. So when we hit it could spit out the contaminated water, which has a chance to make the player more ill.

We are not talking zombie like Left 4 Dead, which can launch their guts, which looks like hulk or doing super jump!

No, we mainly talking about people who die and because of their particular dead, zombies will come just a (cooler filled with water etc.,) physical feature because people have died from living in a particular way .

Yes, I saw that Dev did not want to make special zombies. But that is not made ​​in really talking about special zombies. But simply dead person special way. A dead policeman in riot uniform anti, his zombie will necessarily tougher.

A dead man in a cold room will not create a special zombie, is the reaction of the cold will cause the zombie that will rise will be special. And therefore, it will be hard to kill zombie.

A man who died by falling into water, do not make him a special zombie, but the body's reaction with water will ensure that his body is filled with water. Of this fact! Zombie ensuing will also be filled with water. So when we hit it could spit out the contaminated water, which has a chance to make the player more ill.

We are not talking zombie like Left 4 Dead, which can launch their guts, which looks like hulk or doing super jump!

No, we mainly talking about people who die and because of their particular dead, zombies will come just a (cooler filled with water etc.,) physical feature because people have died from living in a particular way .

I see, this could help. But the ordinary zombie should be much more dangerous right now. 

Maybe is it possible to make more aggressive regular zombies and zombies who died some rare way.

A zombie froze for 1000 normal zombies and only there would cross the zombies froze in restaurants and food stores. Usually alone.

-snip

With this part, I agree on. A zombie who has simply died with his helmet/bullet proof vest etc. That'd be realistic while creating some sort of variety. But that can simply just be a regular zombie with a helmet spawned on it's head or as in the pic a police or a military dude.

Yes quite. Helmet, leather jacket etc.. But where I'm coming from is that a dead man in a certain way, necessarily created a special zombie. Without being "special" or with "power."

That the zombie will be more, only result of how the person died during his lifetime.

Maybe is it possible to make more aggressive regular zombies and zombies who died some rare way.

A zombie froze for 1000 normal zombies and only there would cross the zombies froze in restaurants and food stores. Usually alone.

-snip

Yes quite. Helmet, leather jacket etc.. But where I'm coming from is that a dead man in a certain way, necessarily created a special zombie. Without being "special" or with "power."

That the zombie will be more, only result of how the person died during his lifetime.

Yes I get what you mean, but I don't really see the added value of maybe a handful of zombies that would be for example frozen. There aren't enough cold rooms etc. in Kentucky to make this a worthwile idea in regards of added game value vs time to code.

The thing is, why does there have to be any kinds of "special" or "not that special" zombies? If a situation presents itself where it would fit the story to have a frozen, flaming whatever zombie, this would probably be added. There's no need to add new types of zombies just for the sake of variety, when we can make the current ones adapt to whatever  situations  present themselves in the game.  And that makes sense. We have molotov cocktails so a burning zombie seems quite logical. Same with police officers and the army. We just don't happen to have that many coldrooms etc. to make it worth while, in my opinion at least. Do you get where I'm coming from with this?

Here is a video to prove the point that when you move past a zombie while you're in its reach it doesn't grab you, it usually just bites the air.

This should not happen! The zombies are way to easy to handle. You can pretty much eliminate a horde with an axe!

Will this be fixed?

This is a HUGE issue in my opinion. The animation of the zombie even indicates that he is 'Grabbing' you and then biting, yet it has no effect on speed. The same thing goes double for MP where the grab range seems to be nerfed compared to survival.

A zombie stumbling is practically the only time it should not have an effect on grappling you. As it stands this is a major contributing factor to zombies not being dangerous. A single zombie is easy since you can push him away, however if you *have* to actually push it to keep from being hurt, you can get cornered more easily. Which would make one ore two other zombies a lot more dangerous.

I do hope this gets addressed.

-snip

Yes I get what you mean, but I don't really see the added value of maybe a handful of zombies that would be for example frozen. There aren't enough cold rooms etc. in Kentucky to make this a worthwile idea in regards of added game value vs time to code.

The thing is, why does there have to be any kinds of "special" or "not that special" zombies? If a situation presents itself where it would fit the story to have a frozen, flaming whatever zombie, this would probably be added. There's no need to add new types of zombies just for the sake of variety, when we can make the current ones adapt to whatever  situations  present themselves in the game.  And that makes sense. We have molotov cocktails so a burning zombie seems quite logical. Same with police officers and the army. We just don't happen to have that many coldrooms etc. to make it worth while, in my opinion at least. Do you get where I'm coming from with this?

Yes indeed, this type of zombie (zombie frozen etc.), can be seen only in very special cases. But it is the same case, that will make your recontre will also be special.

If you go to 2 restaurants, everything goes well, you kill normal zombies without too much difficulty. There happened to grocers, you come across a strange white zombie and a strange approach. In you think you away like the others, but you realize that it is very durable! And in addition to other normal zombie comes to attack you!

The situation, although unique, is fun to play, right?

Here is a video to prove the point that when you move past a zombie while you're in its reach it doesn't grab you, it usually just bites the air.

-snipped video-

This should not happen! The zombies are way to easy to handle. You can pretty much eliminate a horde with an axe!

Will this be fixed?

This really does seem like a bug to me too. I opened up a ticket for it linking the video you made and whatnot. From there the devs can take an official look at it to see what needs to be done.

Here is the Ticket: #000682

Will this be fixed?

Your character is slowing down, particularly once his back is turned to the zombie. You just break away. You can see this in the sudden little spurt of speed your character has. Go get another zombie or two to stand beside him and instead of walking past, you'll simply be grabbed and attacked.

As to being able to take out a horde with an axe . . . if you're patient and careful, why shouldn't you be able to? They're nothing but meat bags, and we meat bags are rather weak when it comes to blows to the head from an axe.

Will this be fixed?

Your character is slowing down, particularly once his back is turned to the zombie. You just break away. You can see this in the sudden little spurt of speed your character has. Go get another zombie or two to stand beside him and instead of walking past, you'll simply be grabbed and attacked.

As to being able to take out a horde with an axe . . . if you're patient and careful, why shouldn't you be able to? They're nothing but meat bags, and we meat bags are rather weak when it comes to blows to the head from an axe.

First of all, you should not be able to walk past a zombie at arms reach without showing any kind of defense at all. It doesn't matter if you character slows down a tiny bit, if you get out unharmed something is wrong. I've never seen a zombie that simply bites the air when someone walks by. Likewise I have never seen a zombie with a grip so weak, that when it grabs you all you have to do is continue walking casually. If your not pushing the zombie off it should do damage! 

Secondly, the game doesn't even give you any intensity when taking out a horde with an axe. As long as you hit one, instantly run in the opposite direction and do it again your guaranteed safety.

You can't honestly tell me the zombies are dangerous. If you say there not meant to be, your simply wrong.

I even showed a friend this game that has never played it before, has about two hours in it now and when I was writing the original post I asked him if he agrees and he said yes... 

EDIT: Also, a ordinary man could not swing an axe 60 times in one day while sprinting around and not has serious fatigue for the next couple of days. At the moment there is no reason why you should run from a horde.

First of all, you should not be able to walk past a zombie at arms reach without showing any kind of defense at all.

I hate to be a bastard and do this, but the game is still a work in progress. Not everything is done -- and I'm sure they'd want better animations for this sort of thing.

Secondly, the game doesn't even give you any intensity when taking out a horde with an axe. As long as you hit one, instantly run in the opposite direction and do it again your guaranteed safety.

Yet some people still struggle with this . . . not to mention it being tedious as hell, particular if your character is weak and becomes exhausted. The axe is one of (if not the) best weapon for doing this work.

You can't honestly tell me the zombies are dangerous. If you say there not meant to be, your simply wrong.

A single zombie isn't meant to be a threat except in situations where you're caught off guard or without a weapon (though the latter applies more-so to people who've not gotten down the shoving/kicking mechanic -- something which is rather over powered).

And of course they're dangerous -- if you do something stupid (like in the movies), or are distracted (which fits the latter), or become over-confident and work yourself between several zombies that converge.

EDIT: Also, a ordinary man could not swing an axe 60 times in one day while sprinting around and not has serious fatigue for the next couple of days. At the moment there is no reason why you should run from a horde.

That I can agree with. Well, almost. If it wasn't possible to swing an axe 60 times a day and do cardio, the logging industry never would have come into being.

I know the game is a work in progress, its not about the fact that there is no animation its about the fact that you can basically ignore the zombies as long as you don't stand still. Once again I know a single zombie is not supposed to be a big threat but right now there no threat at all. You shouldn't be able to do what I done in that video! I walked right past the thing like it wasn't even there. If it grabs you, you should have to at the very least run the break its grip, not just walk on not giving a damn. The only way you can get harmed by a single zombie is if you want to... Hell I can pretty much say the same thing about a horde excusing the one or two off cases when they get you.

Also the only people who find this hard are the newcomers. Like I said before as long as you hit one, instantly run in the opposite direction and do it again your guaranteed safety, it probably won't take the newcomers long to figure this out. You can't even notice the fatigue when your using an axe because its so easy to kill zombies with one or two shots. 

That last point will probably be added in at some point, but thats the least gamebreaking one.

How am I supposed to have a cool story or ending when its so easy to deal with the biggest threat in the game at the moment? In every movie when a base starts getting broken into thats pretty much it for most character, but in the game you can kill every zombie.

I haven't heard what the devs think of this. Also a question for the developers, when will you start working on the gore effect for when your character gets eaten? Like when they drop on you to continue eating you when your dead and possibly dismemberment etc.    ;-)