High level trapping

Croak90

So... chances of getting a bear trap? :D

In detail, rare item only found in hunting cabins and such that can be used at any trapping level. HOWEVER, level 0-1 results in massive damage and failure to set the trap. 2-3 possible damage and a chance of successfully setting the trap. Level 4 would be the same, but with reduced damage and a higher chance of setting the trap. At level 5 you always successfully set it with no risk of taking damage.

Now for the prey. Best way to go about seeing what you caught would probably have to involve a few new images and maybe animations, unless the animal passes out after getting caught or some such. For stuff like rabbits, instant death and no risk of it escaping. For dear, I'd say a chance of death but also a chance of working its way out after enough time passes. Also, if you catch a dear a quick blow to the head from a weapon should finish the job (no bare hands, that's just messed up). Finally (I know it's a longshot) the best thing you can catch with a bear trap is a bear of course :D So this would havefer TONS of fresh meat, however, they'll have a good chance of getting away and won't die like smaller animals. Not only this, but you'll have to dispatch the beastie. Blunt weapons won't cut it. I'd say bladed weapons can be used with the risk of getting injured or you can shoot it to save yourself the risk at the cost of a bullet and a loud noise. Actually, just thought of this now, catching a bear would result in some loud, angry bear sounds. So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Zombies will be attracted to the trap.

2. Zombies will kill and spoil the catch if you don't dispatch them and collect your prize quick enough.

3. Bears can kill the zombies, but after enough time and zombies even they could get worn out.

Finally, additional use of the bear trap (I'm kind of stealing this from a suggestion I saw on the steam forums a while back) you can catch 'live' zombies in bear traps and they'll act as an alarm, drawing zombies from the surrounding area to them continuously. By doing this you can sacrifice a bear trap in order to group all the zombies in an area into one spot where you can either go about killing them, trapping them, or just avoiding them.

Oh god did I actually spell 'deer' as 'dear'?

Kate, I'm sorry! I swear I didn't know pillows worked like that! No putting Kate in a bear trap!!

• 3 months later...

I really like the concept but you would need to have an extremely rapid rate of skill advancement otherwise the risk of using the trap > than advantages of it. Alternatively, you could tone down the damage or make the risk of it snapping on you much less. I don't think it is that hard to set a trap either but maybe you could balance it by making it so that you are more likely to catch something in your trap if you have a higher skill?