About NPCs…

Migoxiss

So is it planned that NPCs will have a ,,memory"? Telling stories, warning about some areas that would make the game really cool :D Even (I know we dont want a cure) searching for a cure OR MAYBE even ,based on your characters traits, he would speak for himself, alone or with NPCs. That would drive the, hopefully soon coming, update with kate and baldspot :)

yeh. NPCs are so smart in this game. just imagine if you can start relationships with them and fall in love or become besties, just to see them later on be ripped apart. or you could start strongholds and have a big town of survivors all friends in the trades etc. feel back at home.

yeh. NPCs are so smart in this game. just imagine if you can start relationships with them and fall in love or become besties, just to see them later on be ripped apart. or you could start strongholds and have a big town of survivors all friends in the trades etc. feel back at home.

Many People thought about sex in Game. This is a confirmed no but I see no reason for it. I mean we dont have to hear/ see it. Like when you are in REALLY GOOD relationship with the other gender a black screen appears when sleeping and the characters speak with each other and say something like:,, I really like you" ,,I like you too" NOM NOM NOM (Just a joke XD) and yeah the day after you are not stressed, have something to believe on.

EDIT: Oh and maybe after they trusted each other their love a warm bright strings music appears.

Many People thought about sex in Game. This is a confirmed no but I see no reason for it. I mean we dont have to hear/ see it. Like when you are in REALLY GOOD relationship with the other gender a black screen appears when sleeping and the characters speak with each other and say something like:,, I really like you" ,,I like you too" NOM NOM NOM (Just a joke XD) and yeah the day after you are not stressed, have something to believe on.

EDIT: Oh and maybe after they trusted each other their love a warm bright strings music appears.

geeze. i think thats a good idea. and it makes sense that it would go black cause im pretty sure you dont want to see pixalated boobs neither the programmers. but i believe this could come into survival and family needs. such as having a child and taking care of him. teaching him how to learn skills and try and repopulate the world. and protect him, such as a base gets taking over and you can pick him up and run. using both hands. this is an awesome suggestion. im going to make itso dont steal it. its mine. that is a good idea though

and when your character dies, you could play as your child. even though the games about how you die :(

geeze. i think thats a good idea. and it makes sense that it would go black cause im pretty sure you dont want to see pixalated boobs neither the programmers. but i believe this could come into survival and family needs. such as having a child and taking care of him. teaching him how to learn skills and try and repopulate the world. and protect him, such as a base gets taking over and you can pick him up and run. using both hands. this is an awesome suggestion. im going to make itso dont steal it. its mine. that is a good idea though

and when your character dies, you could play as your child. even though the games about how you die :(

Yep ;)

No, they're a confirmed no meaning that they wont be added at any point. This game is about telling the story of you up until you die. I'm pretty sure any romantic stuff is also not going to be included. This is supposed to be a story of your death - not how you found a waifu in the apocalypse and had children.

I do hope that they add memory to NPC's to an extent, but I think it has to be limited (Not because that'd be good, but because the game probably couldn't handle more than that :L). Someone being hostile or friendly towards you based on past interactions seems like the only easy thing to implement.

Well back on track... NPC memory...

NPCs with some form of memory would prevent wasted efforts and repeated looting runs.

For example. If an NPC loots a house or an area of a houses, then it will remember to not try to loot there again. If the player then tried to order the NPC to loot an already explored area, the NPC would respond in saying "I have already looted this area." and then it could give you a brief summary of what it found. "I found food and ammo."

Maybe NPCs could also remember when they last run into a horde. So when the NPC and the player travel near that location, the NPC will say something like, "Be extra careful around here. A horde may be nearby". Or if the NPC remembers seeing other NPC establishments, "There may be other survivors close by. Be on the lookout."

Well back on track... NPC memory...

NPCs with some form of memory would prevent wasted efforts and repeated looting runs.

For example. If an NPC loots a house or an area of a houses, then it will remember to not try to loot there again. If the player then tried to order the NPC to loot an already explored area, the NPC would respond in saying "I have already looted this area." and then it could give you a brief summary of what it found. "I found food and ammo."

Maybe NPCs could also remember when they last run into a horde. So when the NPC and the player travel near that location, the NPC will say something like, "Be extra careful around here. A horde may be nearby". Or if the NPC remembers seeing other NPC establishments, "There may be other survivors close by. Be on the lookout."

Ohhhhh my Heart warms up when I read this :P I wanna have it NOW!!!!!!

What I said about the NPCs is just my suggestion of how NPC memory could work. The devs have not actually said anything yet about NPC memory... yet. I have a feeling what they do have planned for it will be similar though. It would be very frustrating if NPC survivors kept looting the same places over and over because they don't remember where they have been.

However, it is confirmed that  NPC brains will have the ability to look for items that they need to survive or to craft items. They will check their inventory, their safehouse, and loot surrounding locations until they find what they need. Hopefully if they have memory, they will be able to remember where they can find certain items, and ignore places where they have searched and found nothing of interest.

I probably shouldn't say this, as I don't know how the support team / devs will react, but I think considering how well the guys are working on the NPCs, but how they need free time AND are working on other things at the same time, and how much work the NPCs take, AND about how much is done, I think the NPCs might arrive around build 36, so, I'm guessing 2.5 - 4 years, that's atleast what I think, and I may be terribly wrong.

I probably shouldn't say this, as I don't know how the support team / devs will react, but I think considering how well the guys are working on the NPCs, but how they need free time AND are working on other things at the same time, and how much work the NPCs take, AND about how much is done, I think the NPCs might arrive around build 36, so, I'm guessing 2.5 - 4 years, that's atleast what I think, and I may be terribly wrong.

Not only did the longest sentence in the world give me a headache, it's also a really really pessimistic estimate  :-D

Not only did the longest sentence in the world gave me a headache, it's also a really really pessimistic estimate  :-D

Trololololol :P

By the time 3 or 4 years passes. I honestly will probably have put this game down after playing it so much.  I understand what you are trying to say -snip-. To get such a complex feature completed and polished to their liking will definitely take large amounts time and effort, especially since they are a relatively small team.

But keep in mind, the devs realize this and are not willing to keep us waiting that long. Realistically, it is not practical since a large portion of the current generation of PZ players will be replaced by newer and younger fans that are not aware of the hard work and time put into the game for so many years. 

I remember that the devs said something in a Mondoid about delivering the NPCs piece by piece, rather than all at once. I think the new Kate and Baldspot tutorial will be the first "wave" of NPC delivery. I think we can expect this very soon (less than a year). When Kate and Baldspot are in, then I suppose they would start adding in the in-game NPC survivors feature by feature in a way they see necessary.

So -snip-, you may be right in a way. It could take several years for the NPCs to be "perfect" and exactly to the devs' desires. But what we should remember is that we will get to see the NPCs grow and advance as the devs add more layers to their design. I am sure NPCs will be developed and polished enough to be interesting far before their final completion! That is the purpose of Early Access; we will get to play with new features as they evolve and progress to completion.