Egg Cartons

Xeonyx

I thought about how eggs generally are found in groups of one in fridges, and that it really doesn't make much sense.  At first I thought that eggs could be turned into "egg cartons" with the bar indicating how much of something is left, but it still felt, well, not right, so I thought instead that egg cartons could be a "storage container" as an alternative.  Eggs have a weight of 0.1 in game, so an full egg carton would hold 1.2 worth of weight technically.  It's still an odd number, but something else odd is finding whole packs of bacon, and only one egg :P

I refer to Major_malice's topic on soundproofing for an example of crafting purposes for egg cartons; and another couple I can think of are thermal insulating, and perhaps water containers.  Suggestions? Opinions?

Could even be used as a silenver for pistols as far as I know

Possibly... But not the way you'd think. LOTS of egg cartoons, some wool, blankets, etc. could go a long way to soundproofing a room. Could be an interesting gameplay mechanic; Do you use your generator to make electricity now, or do you soundproof the hell out of a shed first, then set it up in there?

Could even be used as a silenver for pistols as far as I know

Possibly... But not the way you'd think. LOTS of egg cartoons, some wool, blankets, etc. could go a long way to soundproofing a room. Could be an interesting gameplay mechanic; Do you use your generator to make electricity now, or do you soundproof the hell out of a shed first, then set it up in there?

Hmmm maybe even have a trait like heavy sleeper which makes your character snorring :D

I regard to using egg cartons as soundproofing... that does not really work. It would act more like a cheap version of acoustic foam. Recording studios post up large cut-outs of acoustic foam on the inside or recording booths. They do not really act as sound proofing. They only serve to prevent sound from bouncing and echoing in the room, since unwanted echoes can ruin a recording. 

I use such acoustic foam for my home studio, and I can tell you that you would need A LOT of the stuff to have the desired effect. So they are only really used in small rooms.

Actually soundproofing a room requires much more materials and effort. A special acoustic insulation material has to be stuffed inside the walls of the room. This prevents sound from getting out, but does not prevent echo, so that is why acoustic foam pads and the in-wall acoustic insulation work together in junction.

So in the end,an array of egg cartons would barely do anything to prevent zombies outside or nearby from hearing you. It would however, be a decent form of heat insulation.