I had to shoot a friend today.

It's always hard to put down a fellow player. Especially one close to you.

---

Mara was like a daughter to him.

She stayed with him for two weeks or so, helped him manage, she was the first friendly human he met.

That dreadful night on a supply run, she got jumped at from behind. It was no big deal, just a scratch.

Kerner noticed the sweat on her forehead, and instantly knew why she behaved so quietly. When he asked, she did not deny it. She got past the fear and the pain. Now she has hit acceptance.

Was there anything human left in them anymore? How does one just accept? Sheep, are we all?

The calm. The complete calm.

He stopped her from finishing her last chores, and took her to sit down in a chair. Gave her alcohol and painkillers, and just told her to relax, while suppressing his tears.

She had a serious fever.
She told him how it happened, the scratch, but he didn't want to talk about it, instead sharing childhood stories, and focusing on happy stuff.

When she started bleeding from her nose, she asked to go outside. It was early morning, the sun just began to dawn.
Having taken Resilient, she was a tough fighter and prolonged the suffering, not giving in to the virus.

Kerner picked her up, walked outside, and put her on the grass. it was a beautiful day. Clear and sun lit. They looked at the sky

"beautiful isnt it?" she said

"very, oh yes, very" tears fell freely from the broken old man's eyes, "that's where god lives, little bird. that's where you're going"

Mara was 27, but to him she was as young as a little girl. He squeezed her hand and kept her talking.

"Just relax. Remember that fishing trip we had last week. The pike you caught, that was the biggest I saw. Ever."

"Really?" she asked, agreeing gracefully to play along, mainly for his sake. She came to terms some time ago, it seemed.

"Oh yeah, I thought girls couldn't catch fish that big, but you sure outdid me."
She smiled, holding his hand.
Then she started having the shakes of critical damage and passed the terminal point.

"Don't... let me... become..." she suddenly looked to him intensely. "I want... stay... human."

"Oh, don't you worry, sweetheart. You're going to heaven, nowhere else. Rest easy, I'll take care of it."
His hand held her head up, while his other hand was already squeezing the pistol with two bullets in it, behind his back.

"good bye, K....kurtis... thanks... for...every..."
"shhh, shh." whispered Kerner and kissed her cheek with his stubble.

She held onto him and shook.

"go towards the light, Mara. Are you ready?"
"y...y...yes.... i'm.. r-r-r ready...."

They share the last look, but her eyes begin to turn red.

"g..good bye... k-kurt...."
"Goodbye, dear child."

Two gunshots.
One straight down to her head, through the top, towards the neck, to avoid ruining her face.

The other through her heart.

A rain would have been epic, but there was no rain, it was a bright sunny shining day.
He just sat there on his knees and cried beside her corpse.
Then he picked her up and carried her to a grove by his house, where he put her down.
He had no photo camera, so he took this moment to remember her still features, to imprint them in his memory. Her blonde hair and green eyes.

He buried her that evening, and put flowers on her grave.

---

Then I look back at my wife, and she is sobbing at the screen. PZ has awesome RP atmo. 

A few things to explain Kerner's method. First off, Kurt Kerner is an emotional wreck.

Melee was a straight up no. He was not going to chop up the girl he cared about so much. He just couldn't live with that.

If you mean the single shot to the head, there is an opinion that in some rare headshot cases, while the brain itself does not feel pain, the victim does not instantly die and may feel pain in the severed body, primarily suffocation from inability to breathe. Thus, some people, especially religious ones as Kerner is, consider the pierced heart the kosher, painless way to go. Kerner is a life long hunter, and his dad taught him to always kill an animal through the heart. So he just went by what he knew.

Thus he had done both, the head and the heart, to be sure he'd done everything to make her death smooth. 

Kerner's intelligence is a separate matter of discussion. He is not all home.

awesome storytelling. But, really, two gunshots? Sounds to me like execution style would've sufficed.

yep, 2 shots. double tap, to be sure just as in Zombieland.

great story Konrad, short but sweet.

Today two oldest inhabitants of Muldraugh and West Point decided to meet for a picnic and exchange fish for tomatoes. The meeting resulted in a mega shootout, and lead to what is effectively a TPK.

One West-Pointian survived, but looks like the community is voting for the reset, as all original characters are either voting yes or dead.

This concludes Round 1 of Eiradir PZ server.

Archived