Zombies using weapons/tools

The Wanderer

There is no point or any good to come from getting irate over someones opinion.  And of course zombies are not real, and it may seem silly for people to discuss what they could and couldn't do.  However in PZ, zombies are real, so we like to discuss like fanatical fanboys what they may or may not do, in reference to the various 'inspirations' for PZ.

Putting a bullshit scientific veneer on the subject makes folks feel less like lunatics when trying to prove points about fictitious creatures.  At least it does for me! :D

There is no point or any good to come from getting irate over someones opinion.

Maybe there is - but this has lost the primal topic, which had been the question if they wear weapons or not. This could be a question intelligence but does not have to be.

It's not ridiculously pointless. It serves a purpose and that is to create a logical explanation to why things are happening. Romero does this too. There are tons of "experts" in his movies who always notice a patter and then deduct why it is so. It's very much in the grain of zombie fiction.

Max Brooks says zombies are like insects, Romero says they have memories... Neither is more right than the other considering their lore, but in the case of pz that's how I see it and I want to provide "proof" why it would be so. You can't just dismiss the whole notion of human physics just because it's fiction.

Edited typo.

I didn't say not to explain it within the mythos. I meant trying to nerd lawyer it in real life. You missed my point.

"Max Brooks compares zombies to insects and explains their behavior by the rotting of everything except the hind brain. I think this grounds zombies in a scientific way that adds verisimilitude to the mythos." is a line of argument that I feel would be persuasive.

"In Max Brooks' novels, zombies function like insects. This is obviously the best kind of zombie, because obviously when a person dies and is reanimated by some kind of prion retrovirus, then their brain would rot to the extent that only their hind brain would remain functional. Biology supports me, and if you disagree you don't believe in science." is a stupid line of argument in my opinion.

You can argue the subjectives of a zombie mythos, but trying to argue the objectives is something only idiots do and only idiots would be persuaded by. It's fundamentally a magical plot-device plague in a pretend world.

• 3 weeks later...

My ten cents - zombie perks. Many, and one of them suited to be here is zombie with a broken arm and sticking bone, stabbing people during grab attempts. Second is a zombie programmer, who'd bash people with keyboard, of which he can never let go even in unlife.

Balling your hands to make a fist is creating a tool. It required the knowledge that a fist will do more damage then a palm. Trying to break through a door instead of just through the wall requires the knowledge that the door will break easier and is a 'logical entry point'. Remembering that prey just ran around the corner and you should follow it, even tho its no longer in sight and not a stimuli, implies memory. Its not much a a stretch from making fist > picking up rock.

Hi! Today I was watching Night of the Living Dead and I realized that zombies possess a limited capacity for understanding, within the universe of films of Romero(In every movie).

So i thought this suggestion:

Zombies with the ability to use weapons and other tools to attack, but in a primitive way. This would give them the ability to (for example), break a glass using a rock, or attack the character awkwardly swinging a bat/crowbar/etc  :shock: 

Just like this:attachicon.gifthings-zombie-movies-stole-from-night-of-the-living-dead-brick.jpg

Obviously the zombies with weapons / tools create more damage by attacking a target.

PD:I apologize if I make grammatical or spelling errors, I speak Spanish and I'm really bad when it comes to English  :rolleyes: 

Friend, just read this:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/7642-different-zombies-tatics/page-2?hl=%2Btatics#entry114482

I think increasing game difficulty tends to be the reason some want different types of zombies.  Tool using or intelligent zombies require players to change their tactics and approaches.  I think this is the direction most developers go with zombie games to increase the challenge level.

I don't think this is the right direction for PZ.  The fundamental challenge in PZ isn't tougher individual zombies, but the horde.  I think PZ taps into some basic human fears with their approach to zombies:

• Fear of a mob - There is something inherently terrifying about a mob of people trying to get you.  Human history is filled with terrifying actions precipitated by a mob, and I think this fear is hardwired into people.  People often do things in mobs that they would never do individually, and I suspect fear of becoming the target of the mob motivates people to "go with the crowd".
  • Fear of rejection - A bit more recondite. In PZ you are not part of the majority zombie community.  In fact, you are so fully rejected by zombies that they just want to kill you.  PZ taps into this fear of isolation and rejection from society.

PZ also taps all of the other standard zombie fears: fear of the unknown, fear of the uncanny valley, fear of death, fear of the predator.

I think the right direction isn't stronger, more intelligent, or tactically varied individual zombies.  Instead, the game should keep upping the danger of the horde.  Non-player made structures should be vulnerable to a large enough horde.  Upper floor structures should collapse if a horde takes out the bottom floor.  Larger and larger hordes should appear as the game goes on.  The idea of a safe house should ultimately be nothing but a fantasy.  No place should ever be safe. No amount of ammo should ever be enough.