New NPCs: Giving Orders? Will They Always Listen?

After reading through the latest Mondoid, I became very excited about the teased ability to give orders to NPC survivors. Judging by the types of orders the player can give, having a group of the super-smart NPCs will help a single player run a massive base operation that otherwise would be impossible or at least very inefficient if attempted alone. But since NPC are smart and designed to mimic player actions... what stops them from completely ignoring your orders and doing something else they see more important, like taking YOU out and taking power for themselves?

Will the NPCs come with a system of trust/obedience? Will you have to earn the NPCs' obedience before you can order them around?

Example: An NPC that trusts you more will be more inclined to listen to your commands. Conversely, another NPC that barely trusts you will have a low chance of following your orders and may have a higher chance of committing mutiny and trying to kill you or other NPCs in the group.

The answer to the title is no. I actually think it's quite amusing how everyone assumes that they're the ones giving orders to the NPCs.

I remember Lemmy posting something like it might even be that in the first iterations it wouldn't even be possible to give orders and only be able to join a group under NPC command. However since the Mondoid clearly states that they want them to be at more of a finished state, it might be that both possibilities will be added.

There're also things like "iswelcomegift" in the code which would suggest something of a trust system. NPC personalities will most likely come to play in here too.

Do remember that this is just guesstimating on what I've read from Lemmy's posts.

instead of creating random speculation of the sort that somehow always get quoted as if it was declared by Lemmy himself, just wait for it to be revealed when it is ready to be revealed. just like everyone else.

I don't think there's anything harmful in discussing and speculating an extremely interesting subject based on facts or comments on a subject as long as it stays on track. It's also not at all random. I can dig up all of the references when I get back on my pc.

Also I don't know if you're referring to me, but I have never said anything that could be quoted as something that Lemmy has said unless he's actually said it. Also I specifically mentioned that my post is based on what I've read and is just speculation.

I'd like the idea of observing a Group of npcs entering a House, taking for their needs while One keeps guard and Return to their compound. You can trade (useless) things with them and they get mad If you're firing guns near them.

Why would I trade useless things with them? If they need something I have and they have something I need then I think that's more than good enough for the purposes of trade. Useless things hold absolutely no weight.

I don't want to be rude but the devs stated they don't want to start a hype train o.o just saying before this gets out of hands.

I think that's a reasonable doubt, but at least for now there seems to be more genuine discussion than hyping. I'll promise to jump off just as soon as the hype train starts rolling and pull the emergency break before that. :D

I don't think there's anything harmful in discussing and speculating an extremely interesting subject based on facts or comments on a subject as long as it stays on track. It's also not at all random. I can dig up all of the references when I get back on my pc.

Also I don't know if you're referring to me, but I have never said anything that could be quoted as something that Lemmy has said unless he's actually said it. Also I specifically mentioned that my post is based on what I've read and is just speculation.

not specifically referring to anyone. but also don't see an actual need for unverified and random speculation.

they don't want a hype train to get started based on today's Mondoid, so how about we listen to them.

^ Don't be boring. Half of this forum is based on that. There's a difference between "not encouraging" and "forbidding" discussion. Speculations and blind hype do have a difference.

He's right, you know.

Call it hype or speculation, and disapprove of it or encourage it, it will not cease. Particularly not when there's an exceptionally large Mondoid focusing on NPCs. And now, instead of just discussing the OP's topic or ignoring it, we're knee deep in a discussion over the nature of a forum.

Let's not do this again, huh?

I don't See the Problem with "hyping" in a civil discussion if You Know that its just a Brainstorming thing and don't Expect your Imaginationen to Come true, which I think it is. Otherwise there should be a Rule like "topics which are not content of the next Patch Are Not allowed in this Forum. Being unrealistic in expression and Suggestion is considered a ban reason." - exept for the fact that I'd like this rule I think this Fred would be Better in suggestions?

If you didnt read the few posts that were posted so far, mind you that this was perfectly on-topic until Bvhv and sfy started to talk about "hype" posts. And now im the criminal? Nicely played. Nicely played indeed. Mods can lock threads if they go off limits, which can hardly be the case here. There are vehicle speculation threads etc so how this differs.

Returning to the Topic At Hand, as has been confirmed by devs and occurred to me a while ago... The amount of ai's can be quite high thanks to little effect to performance. But if only nearest survivors gain real skills and "effectiveness", there can hardly be ai bunkers/safehouses/communities when travelling far... Or can there? Now this is of course due the limit of knowledge on how meta will work eventually.

not specifically referring to anyone. but also don't see an actual need for unverified and random speculation.

they don't want a hype train to get started based on today's Mondoid, so how about we listen to them.

This discussion itself is arguably derailing the thread, trust in the fact that moderators will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what direction it ultimately takes. We're not going to ban the discussion of AI since it's an inevitable discussion, however if the thread turns to complete hyping and vitriol we will lock it down. There's nothing wrong with at least allowing the discussion and seeing where it goes.

So let us stop dwelling on this and just have a bloody good and civil discussion eh? ;)

Have fun everyone. :D

I just saw the word "NPC" in the title, which forced me to open this thread, read every comment and leave a response. What the devs said :D lol... Its like showing the trailer for the new star wars movie and say "NO HYPE! Its still ages away!" or saying "DONT PANIC!" when raging zombies surround your safehouse.. right its gonna happen haha.

So - NPC'S with personalities ++

NPCS trading you stuff you need and they don't + (I would make it so they have multiple of that item they trade you maybe), you could trade bullets for food or visa versa depending on the kind of NPC (if he is a farmer in the group, he probably doesn't go out to loot a lot, might need seeds, water or just finished food products (cooked soup) instead of bullets).

Group hierarchy inside NPC groups +++ just the thought of me being able to work my way up in a group while surviving and doing heroic deeds (Spiffo disapproves of Heroic deeds) so I can command a small tactical group and encourage them to develop their own skills.

Infected NPCS ++ your lovely group went out on a looting mission, but one of them was scratched and might be infected... do you take the risk? Would this cause a debate that you guys kill him/her or make NPCS pissed at you if you did? Who knows, would be a nice addition. Especially if he turns inside your safehouse and bites another NPC going to the toilet.

Organized looters/bandits (NPCS ofcourse) ++++ imagine this: you have been holding out in your little fortress for weeks, farm is growing, you got the rain collectors going. Suddenly some asshole breaks down your fence and 3 armed survivors come in looking to take everything you got, including your life... A WHOLE new level of defense right there. They might force you to drop your stuff too (Devs suggested there will be a force inventory open thing when the player will put hands behind their head and the other can take anything from them).

Treating NPCS wounds + lets say you got some painkillers and bandages, which are required by one of the NPCS as he/she was shot or scratched, you give it to them or use it on them? to get some plus gratitude from them. "You saved my life, I will help you with anything you need" kinda thing.

Vehicles with NPCS ++ You want to do a major loot run? Take out that Van you just found (once they are implemented) with your NPC friends and fill up the trunk with stuff.

Radios, Walkie talkies ?? ++ The ability to be able to communicate with your group from a far would be highly awesome of course require batteries and stuff. Just imagine if you could ask for help, give out a distress signal that somebody may find and then come to kill you and take your stuff? AWESOME.

No hype.. just ... casual discussion here :D :D :D

I don't think we have enough info on the meta stuff regarding npcs at least imo so it's a long shot trying to guess.

It'd be extremely interesting though, to hear how much/little the meta execution differs from the streamed behavior.

Oh and no one's saying you're a criminal our feathered friend. ;)

Volfi's train of thought is on the right track, that's how I have understood the final form to be. Interaction, a dynamic one. Would love to encounter bandits. In my previous post i wondered about large npc communities and technical limitations... I meant if npcs are willing to form groups which players can interact with, or will it be encountering of soloers When changing zones... I see that groups eventually need a place, a hideout, pirate cave or new heaven on earth etc :/

Quack I say, or whats the sound Gavia arctica makes...

I am amazed how they achieved things in this development, which my team failed to do due to lack of commitment. We were developing a very similar ai for our strategic zombie game, but the coders did not see it through till the end. Shame really :(

Anyhow! The devs are making awesome process, and I hope at least some of my ideas will be like I described above (as I see things are heading this way).