Walking dead map help

sitruc102

Hi, I've recently started to get into the mapping tool and have decided to make the map from the walking dead but I'm unsure of how to do it.

I watch the tv show but I don't read the comic, so I want the locations to look like they did in the tv series but I'm unsure of how I should lay them out.

My options are:

RL filming locations - I could use a real life map to get all the locations done but for example Woodbury was filmed in senoia and the prison filming location is too close to the farm and Woodbury.

Comic set locations - I could use the shows sets and the comics locations and a bit of real life to make a map based on the walking dead but unrealistic to real life layout.

With that said the next thing is that I don't know where I should start. I'm thinking about doing it chronologically starting in ricks home town then Atlanta an so on, but I am also exited to get to specific locations such as the farm, Woodbury and the prison so I also thought about getting these done and then backtracking to Atlanta.

Also if anyone would like to make some buildings or locations from the walking dead I would love to see them as it'll help me get this done.

Since you don't read the comics, you are about 7-9 years behind their stories (I think they started about 11 years ago?).

Get a vision and then plan it out. You can then start with the easier part (probably the farm) and then move on.

Mapping a bigger city will be some work so you might want to skip the atlanta parts.

To prevent spoilers for yourself, you might only go for the camp, farm, prison and possibly the place where the latest season finished. And the connecting woodlands as well as some suburbs (including Woodbury) here and there.

That's still quite a lot for your first mapping approach

I have to agree with nasKo that it's quite an endeavour to start as your first mapping project. I would advise doing some buildings or other simpler areas before expanding into a full-size map. It's a tediously long process to make such a large map which your vision would cover. However if you feel determined on your goal, go right ahead!!

One more reason to start small is that once you develop some skill you'll be wanting to go back and change things and that's more time consuming than building from scratch! I noticed this with my Radcliff project. I've had to go back to the first buildings and change a lot of things since I've started. And I already did three to four rehearsal projects just for myself.

Now for the tips: I'd suggest you start with what'd be the simplest to accomplish such as homes or the farm as nasKo noted. Those are pretty easy to get looking good. I'd also suggest trying to somewhat mimic existing buildings as I've noticed it yields good looking houses. Try to find something similar to what you're doing on google maps and train on them before doing the real thing.

Since I haven't read the comics either I can't help much on that part, except by saying that what's in the films is already quite a chunk of stuff so I'd personally start with that.

Last, LeoIvanov has done the prison mostly but has decided to let it be continued publicly so you should definitely check that out!

Oh, and if you have any questions regarding mapping, buildings, simple sprite work etc., I'll be happy to help! Just drop a PM! :)

Hope youll have fun making it. If youre planning atlanta, have fun with that.

I already tried a larger sized city map and unless youre having some kind of vacation you likely wont have the free time, and in some cases the will and motivation to do so.

Thats for me atleast, dont know about your will to produce :)

If that map is going to get released ill sure as hell play the heck out of it!

It would be amazing to play around Atlanta...

Just imagine you spawn in the hospital when rick wakes up... and you make your own story just to kill the time till the next season comes out

I would love to see this map done, maybe it can be added to the main map on the southern part and pretend Tennessee wasnt in between GA and KY ?