Image Editing tutorial

tosayu

I have really enjoyed Project Zomboid and feel I am ready to start giving back to the community.  A buddy and I are going to follow this most excellent tutorial / mapping guide by Thuztor to build a single cell map to learn the basics.

Once we are comfortable we will start making out hometown and play with custom maps.

Neither of us are good with image editing software.  There are lots of good posts and tutorials on the PZ related programs, but I found nothing for GIMP or Paint.net that would relate specifically to Project Zomboid.

For example, on Paint.net (the program I am leaning to using) is there a way to make/save custom colors/palettes?  

I am thinking a custom palette that has the label and the color configuration (like Dark Grass 90, 100, 35) so I would only need to click on my brush and then Dark Grass or Light Pothole.  Can I also make custom brushes like a brush that is 6 pixels wide for making roads?

Altho I am interested in those specific questions, I really want this thread to be a place where you can post your tools and tips for using image editors to make your world maps.

Mapzoid is awesome and I am using it to learn PZWorldEd.exe and TileZes.exe, but I like the more granular control of making your own bmp and png files.

Thank you.   

If anyone can point me to a good location that has this information, I will be happy to learn and synthesize it, but my experience is so low right now that I don't even know what questions to ask yet or the capabilities of those two programs.

• 6 months later...

yes you can save a palette in paint.NET. On the colour window, left below the colour wheel, there is a button "Manage color palettes", it will give you an option to save the current palette. not sure about the custom brushes. i would save an image with your custom brushes on it and clone them as needed. though thats kinda slow :P

only solution i have found to custom brushes so far is a plugin for paintDOTnet.

http://paint.net.amihotornot.com.au/features/effects/plugins/Tools/CustomBrushesMini/

check the paintDOTnet forums too, slow but alot of resources.

forum section for plugins.

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/forum/7-plugins-publishing-only/

i'll post the icons/tiles i've been drawing if anyone wants to use them.