Antibiotics, anti-zombie cure and research centre

brickgunner

As in project zomboid, once you are bitten by a zombie you are infected and then die slowly. BUT, what if there was a cure for the zombie disease? what IF, you took the vaccine, you became IMMUNE to becoming zombified?

Another suggestion, what if there were antibiotics?

Hey there brickgunner! First off this is one of the suggestions that have been most suggested on the forums and you can find others in one of the pinned threads that say [READ BEFORE POSTING] ;). There's also other info on those posts about suggestions that new members might have a use reading through. :) This is also one of those ideas the developers have said that will never happen unless modded.

Last but not least, I'll welcome you warmly to the forums!! Great to have ya with us!

As in project zomboid, once you are bitten by a zombie you are infected and then die slowly. BUT, what if there was a cure for the zombie disease? what IF, you took the vaccine, you became IMMUNE to becoming zombified?

Another suggestion, what if there were antibiotics?

hell no, hell no and no.

as it says at the beginning of the game, "These are the End Times. There was no hope of survival. This is how you died"

read this thread

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Like Sfy meant, a vaccine for zombititus or immunity to it doesn't really fit with the game lore. Plus, if you would rather have a game without zombification you can go on 'sandbox mode' and choose 'none' or 'everyone's infected' for transmission.

As for antibiotics, I believe the devs are planning to re-vamp the health system and add things such as infections (wound infection), maybe even dirty water sickness. In which case antibiotics are very likely to be added to combat these infections/sicknesses. Heck, even herbs might be added as the end-game alternative.

yes we will probably be having antibiotics for domestic diseases but they will do nothing to stop the magical zombie curse/radiation/really-unusual-virus/parasite?/bacterium/bioterrorism/robot thing

I prefer to think of the virus as a necroa virus, from plague inc.

hell no, hell no and no.

Every good zombie doesn't have a cure for zombeism, because.. .. that's not what it's about. So i strongly agree with sfy* and say hell no, hello no and no.

On the other hand I'd very like to have strong drugs and poisons, which could slow down the disease by totally corrupting your body and giving you a hell of a day. 

*science fiction yuppi

Well, i throw just my 2 cents in:

I'm back to PZ, and the most annoying thing in the game was and is the zombification. I'm not really against it, but it's an immediately gamestopper for me, when i figure out, that I'm diseased with the virus. Time to start a new character, don't waste any time, because there isn't a chance to survive. My last character didn't get any bite or scratch in the first 25 days. Then, one zombie hits me in a house, didn't seen it coming; scratched, diseased, game over. I don't mind dying in this/any games, but this is very random for me, if you diseased or not( had a character once, who wasn't diseased after 3 bites).

On the other hand, i don't want the feature completely out (sandbox without virus) , so i think, that the implementation of antibiotics is the balance here. Of course, they shouldn't have a 100% curing, maybe 80% the first time, 50% the second and when you get the 3rd time the virus( or the former medicamentation has failed), you need a constant support of antibiotics or you will be zombificated. But then I'll have a reason to play further, instead of giving up my character with the first signs of zombification. And it would be cool, once NPC's are back, to trade everything, what I have, for antibiotics.

But in the current state, it spoils very much fun to survive(at least for me).

Zombification is the bomb! The whole point is how long you can survive. With good care and food you can add a week or more to your survival, and that week may help you climb the top score!

Without zombification, I would not have those palm sweating moments where I go "oh god, a scratch! please please please not agony, not agony.... YES! Not infected!"

Well, i throw just my 2 cents in:

I'm back to PZ, and the most annoying thing in the game was and is the zombification. I'm not really against it, but it's an immediately gamestopper for me, when i figure out, that I'm diseased with the virus. Time to start a new character, don't waste any time, because there isn't a chance to survive. My last character didn't get any bite or scratch in the first 25 days. Then, one zombie hits me in a house, didn't seen it coming; scratched, diseased, game over. I don't mind dying in this/any games, but this is very random for me, if you diseased or not( had a character once, who wasn't diseased after 3 bites).

On the other hand, i don't want the feature completely out (sandbox without virus) , so i think, that the implementation of antibiotics is the balance here. Of course, they shouldn't have a 100% curing, maybe 80% the first time, 50% the second and when you get the 3rd time the virus( or the former medicamentation has failed), you need a constant support of antibiotics or you will be zombificated. But then I'll have a reason to play further, instead of giving up my character with the first signs of zombification. And it would be cool, once NPC's are back, to trade everything, what I have, for antibiotics.

But in the current state, it spoils very much fun to survive(at least for me).

since we won't even know just what started the madness and mayhem in the first place, how could there possibly be any type of cure? we don't know if it is an airborne pathogen, a virus picked by not washing our hands enough, a horribly strange reaction to bad food, The Grey's who live in the core of the earth releasing a population extinction plan...........we don't know and will never know.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

notice the items in red, those are definite NO's.

Remember, zombification isn't totally the end for survivors! They still have a few days to a week to keep doing things.

Spoiler
One of my favorite scenes in a game of mine was tying up all of my loose in-game ends shortly before gracefully puking myself to death in my bed. I watered my entire garden, organized the house, completed a shed, moved all the corpses in the compound to the curb, and set both of my little spiffo plushes neatly by the doorstep in embrace, waiting for the next person to come live in what was my home. <3

Remember, zombification isn't totally the end for survivors! They still have a few days to a week to keep doing things.

Spoiler
One of my favorite scenes in a game of mine was tying up all of my loose in-game ends shortly before gracefully puking myself to death in my bed. I watered my entire garden, organized the house, completed a shed, moved all the corpses in the compound to the curb, and set both of my little spiffo plushes neatly by the doorstep in embrace, waiting for the next person to come live in what was my home. <3

If you are going to go out... might as well finish up the chores. What a serene and yet eerie way to finish life as a human. Thanks for sharing man! 

Heh! My infection story is quite different. As soon as I realized that I'm a goner and my soul had been written off to the devil, I grabbed all the ammo I could, and contacted all the survivors I could find over radio. A girl responded, half way across the city, that she needed help. So I gave her coordinates to my safehouse, and went to get her, found her and her boyfriend, and cut a path through the zeds for them. I must have killed a whole thousand. Tirelessly, fiercely, without a stop. They followed me all the way to my safehouse, where I had everything they needed to survive. They thanked me profusely, and I, bloodied and broken, nodded. Then I gave them my shotgun, and placed a pistol into the boy's hand.

"You know what to do. When you see me black out, put one right in here." I pointed at my forehead.
"Be safe. I'm checking out." were my last words.

The boy did the job well. Flawlessly.

since we won't even know just what started the madness and mayhem in the first place, how could there possibly be any type of cure? we don't know if it is an airborne pathogen, a virus picked by not washing our hands enough, a horribly strange reaction to bad food, The Grey's who live in the core of the earth releasing a population extinction plan...........we don't know and will never know.

notice the items in red, those are definite NO's.

I've said, i don't want a total cure or a vaccine, just a thing to prolong the characters life/ slow down the virus.

I my example, the character has a chance to fight off the first virusinfection, if he get some medics. But in the end, he will be infected and die. I understand, that the devs don't want a cure, but in game terms it's less frustrating to succumb/dump the character and start over, for the first scratch.

Would it spice things up if the chance of infection by getting bitten gets lowered? I think there was a 96% chance by bite and 25% chance by scratch to get infected. But I am Not suref it was 50%/25% Chance to get infected, BUT 100% chance to get sick for a week or something it wouldn't make you feel dead already After a bite.

Personally I would miss the scare I have to enter a House or small rooms if I had a Joker, named Zombie-EX, in my bag. Even if I can totally understand if you're pissed just because there are those two stupid Zombies hiding in the shower in a house you entered for the fifth Time!! But in my case its just this permanent fear That I could loose at any time that makes me go back to this rotten World again and again.

While i don't like the idea of having a cure, i do like the idea of a cure research center .  This would have to be a place with lots of zombies, as the populace would flock to this place looking for a cure, only to die and then reanimate. DISCLAMER: There would be NO cure here, just a place with higher end med supplies and higher end weapons.

While i don't like the idea of having a cure, i do like the idea of a cure research center .  This would have to be a place with lots of zombies, as the populace would flock to this place looking for a cure, only to die and then reanimate. DISCLAMER: There would be NO cure here, just a place with higher end med supplies and higher end weapons.

Your wish may just granted! For the next map expansion, the devs "hinted" at adding on a hospital. They said that it would be an "inhospitable" place filled with the zombified people that flocked there when the infection broke out. This would be the place to find the high end med supplies and equipment. However, the only weapons I can imagine being in a hospital are axes and maybe pistols and batons from the security gaurds

I'm hoping the building is super tall. Maybe the good supplies would be in the upper floors, so you would have to fight your way through several zombie infested floors to get what you need.

[snippy snip snop snop]

I've said, i don't want a total cure or a vaccine, just a thing to prolong the characters life/ slow down the virus.

I my example, the character has a chance to fight off the first virusinfection, if he get some medics. But in the end, he will be infected and die. I understand, that the devs don't want a cure, but in game terms it's less frustrating to succumb/dump the character and start over, for the first scratch.

Currently, keeping well-fed, hydrated, and rested will extend your survivor's life for a few extra days. That's how I got so much done in that story I shared. I have a suspicion they mean to buff it some time in the future.

Would it spice things up if the chance of infection by getting bitten gets lowered? I think there was a 96% chance by bite and 25% chance by scratch to get infected. But I am Not suref it was 50%/25% Chance to get infected, BUT 100% chance to get sick for a week or something it wouldn't make you feel dead already After a bite.

Don't know, if it would spice up things, or feeling more RNG-commited. When you've been bitten currently, it's almost sure, that you've been infected, a calculateable risk. I just don't like to throw my character away, because there is nothing what i can do. In my example is an RNG related chance, too, that the antibiotica will fail (or virus gets resistant, if you fight it off the first time), but there is hope and a reason to play further in search for (maybe rare) medics.

Currently, keeping well-fed, hydrated, and rested will extend your survivor's life for a few extra days. That's how I got so much done in that story I shared. I have a suspicion they mean to buff it some time in the future.

Sure, well fed helps, but it's one mechanic, that doesn't fit for the zombification (or sickness in general. Get food poison? Eat more food!) for me. With antibiotics, there will be another mechanic, which is more realistic and doesn't depends, how well you are farming. And it's more risky, to get out of your shelter, in search for them, when you're sick. Feels a little bit strange, when the character gets infected and plays cook and farmer for his last few days.

Don't know, if it would spice up things, or feeling more RNG-commited. When you've been bitten currently, it's almost sure, that you've been infected, a calculateable risk. I just don't like to throw my character away, because there is nothing what i can do. In my example is an RNG related chance, too, that the antibiotica will fail (or virus gets resistant, if you fight it off the first time), but there is hope and a reason to play further in search for (maybe rare) medics.

Sure, well fed helps, but it's one mechanic, that doesn't fit for the zombification (or sickness in general. Get food poison? Eat more food!) for me. With antibiotics, there will be another mechanic, which is more realistic and doesn't depends, how well you are farming. And it's more risky, to get out of your shelter, in search for them, when you're sick. Feels a little bit strange, when the character gets infected and plays cook and farmer for his last few days.

Antiobiotics, imply the pathogen, is a living microorganism. I believe, The Indie Stone, would like to keep the nature of infection, dubious.

in order to create an anti biotic, you need to know what the ailment is that you are trying to fight in the first place.

since we don't know what the exact problem is in the first place, how can we fight it?

i don't know, to me it's pretty clear the Devs do not want any type of immunity or a cure when it is highlighted in red letters in the list of suggestions. it seems to me like that would be pretty clear to most people that the Devs have made it clear what their feelings on the topic are.

and seeing as they are the ones who make those decisions...............................

Antiobiotics, imply the pathogen, is a living microorganism. I believe, The Indie Stone, would like to keep the nature of infection, dubious.

Ok, thats a point, when devs decide, it's not clear, what happened. I handled it as a virus.

Then no antibotics, maybe a mystical inca tea or heal radiation in a box. Are all fine then?

in order to create an anti biotic, you need to know what the ailment is that you are trying to fight in the first place.

since we don't know what the exact problem is in the first place, how can we fight it?

i don't know, to me it's pretty clear the Devs do not want any type of immunity or a cure when it is highlighted in red letters in the list of suggestions. it seems to me like that would be pretty clear to most people that the Devs have made it clear what their feelings on the topic are.

and seeing as they are the ones who make those decisions...............................

I don't want create an permanent antidote, i just want to find some medics, which slow down the virus, where it's possible to survive weeks, or if I have a larger amount of it, months.

Again, an immunity is the last thing, I want, just a balance between that, and "Oh, I'm infected, time to start a new char". Maybe, most people are happy with the current state, and play the character a few days longer, but I don't, because a few days are a few days without hope.

Or a faster zombification, that let me die in a few hours, is fine for me, too. When devs strictly don't want any medics in.

Gamedesign related, it's a poor mechanic, when the mechanic forces me to start over, instead to play it out (even when the outcome is death). And I think, the zombification mechanic deserves more, than a gamestopper/irretrievable doom-clock.

Maybe, I'm just the only person here in the forums, who thinks, that the current zombification mechanic isn't great as it is.

And I don't want make decisions, i just give a suggestion.

Give it a try. You told us, you're pissed because you know you lost, after a bite - BUT, if there is a decent chance of survival, there is no reason to quit because you can win, which I consider exciting.

I don't want create an permanent antidote, i just want to find some medics, which slow down the virus, where it's possible to survive weeks, or if I have a larger amount of it, months.

I think its not easy to get any clear point in this topic because indie didn’t tell us how the disease works. I’ve seen some settings which only turned people after they died into zombies, others called it a disease or black magic(voodoo). As we know(and most of us painfully noticed already) zombieism spreads per bite, we can’t be sure that you didn’t die per disease and then become a zombie after dead or something else happened.. but… thats not that important I think.  As far I understand your demand, its that the gameplay after-bite is quite short and boring compared to the pre-bite game, and I agree, it would be cool if would change. Maybe drinking alcohol and taking drugs can slow it down. So you must get a hell of a junky and you can survive as long as you can see unicorns and fancy colors.. :-)

Well, bitten again, and now I'm cooking for my life. Nothing to do anymore than cooking and sleeping. Maybe, some day i ran out of cabbage and potatoes. Maybe. But I have a large field.

So now I ask, whats better and more realistic (not to forget FUN); gets well fed the whole time or a med; without the need of constant cooking, ingredient fiddling and itemmanagement, but it  will run out and force you to scavenge?

Really, its eventually the same thing, but cooking and farming all the time is really boring and doesn't feel very apokalyptic.

But i understand the resistance to rethink that mechanic, because the devs said, there is no cure, so there will be no cure or other things, to make that game phase more interesting, because the old ways are the best, right?

EDIT: Forgot to say, that I'm resilent. Might don't work well, with non-resilent characters, but yeah, i think, i can survive in this state INFINITELY. Above that, i can eat rotten food, because i can't get sicker.

As far I understand your demand, its that the gameplay after-bite is quite short and boring compared to the pre-bite game, and I agree, it would be cool if would change. Maybe drinking alcohol and taking drugs can slow it down. So you must get a hell of a junky and you can survive as long as you can see unicorns and fancy colors.. :-)

Exactly. Or they should it make even shorter, so that you don't have the time to become the master cook of hell.

Personaly I don't mind the zombification mechanic.

Zombification is the bomb! The whole point is how long you can survive. With good care and food you can add a week or more to your survival, and that week may help you climb the top score!

Without zombification, I would not have those palm sweating moments where I go "oh god, a scratch! please please please not agony, not agony.... YES! Not infected!"

I agree it adds a lot of drama and nail biting moments after a scratch and I love it. But once I found out I am about to join the ranks of the Partially Deceased Syndrome sufferers, I grab all my gear put it in a box, grab a baseball bat, find the nearest horde and go out swinging. :mrgreen: