FailingToLive

I was wondering if they'd make it so that you can place down propane tanks or fuel canisters and shoot them to explode...?

they would be pretty small but useful to take out a few in a dense crowd in or to set fire to your doorstep to stop them from coming in. Also propane tanks could maybe break down walls. Of course explosions would attract zombies from a VERY large radius.

why would you purposely destroy something highly useful in the current game, the propane tank works with the silver BBQ's......or something that will come into play when vehicles and generators get added in the future?

why would you purposely destroy something highly useful in the current game, the propane tank works with the silver BBQ's......or something that will come into play when vehicles and generators get added in the future?

Think about it, there's a horde surrounding you, you only have a few bullets, and it seems like it's the end...but wait! The BBQ is right next to you, so you rip out the tank, throw it into a crowd, blow it up and run through the small gap it creates, escaping death. There will always be another BBQ, but not another you. (Didn't expect that to rhyme).

Think about it, there's a horde surrounding you, you only have a few bullets, and it seems like it's the end...but wait! The BBQ is right next to you, so you rip out the tank, throw it into a crowd, blow it up and run through the small gap it creates, escaping death. There will always be another BBQ, but not another you. (Didn't expect that to rhyme).

well, i guess you can try that if you want. though i think that those extra seconds in which you try to make it explode could be better used by putting more distance between you and them. plus i would be more than a little worried about the schrapnel that would be flying around if you actually got a propane tank to explode. and the weight of the tank itself is a concern as well. could throw you off balance, maybe even make you stumble.

sorry, but i personally think that your proposed plan of action would only result in your death. i would rather leave the fuel sources in tact and instead find a "safer" (lol) way to get thru the horde of zombies

well, i guess you can try that if you want. though i think that those extra seconds in which you try to make it explode could be better used by putting more distance between you and them. plus i would be more than a little worried about the schrapnel that would be flying around if you actually got a propane tank to explode. and the weight of the tank itself is a concern as well. could throw you off balance, maybe even make you stumble.

sorry, but i personally think that your proposed plan of action would only result in your death. i would rather leave the fuel sources in tact and instead find a "safer" (lol) way to get thru the horde of zombies

My scenario made it impossible to put some distance in between you or them, you're surrounded not being chased. I believe it's better to risk shrapnel and forever raw hamburgers than inevitable death from zombification.

My scenario made it impossible to put some distance in between you or them, you're surrounded not being chased. I believe it's better to risk shrapnel and forever raw hamburgers than inevitable death from zombification.

well, good luck then.

odds are being that close to the explosion will make it so the zombies wont be much of a concern, depending on the size of the schrapnel flying around. so it is possible that your death won't be from zombies munching on you, it may just be a 4 inch piece of metal sticking out of your skull that kills you.

just curious, did you watch the video above, the one by the MythBusters? gonna take some specialized equipment to make a tank explode using a gun.

well, good luck then.

odds are being that close to the explosion will make it so the zombies wont be much of a concern, depending on the size of the schrapnel flying around. so it is possible that your death won't be from zombies munching on you, it may just be a 4 inch piece of metal sticking out of your skull that kills you.

just curious, did you watch the video above, the one by the MythBusters? gonna take some specialized equipment to make a tank explode using a gun.

Actually, two perfect shots would be able to produce an explosion from the tank. One to puncture the tank, and the other to shoot the leaking propane that is now combustible with oxygen present. Perhaps that would be affected by the aim skill.

About the only way you could get the propane from a BBQ bottle to explode is by making a fuel-air explosion. Which means drawing off some of the gas into an airtight container with air in it (i.e: duct-taped garbage bag), then inducing a spark.

Which is also the way someone earned a Darwin Award Honourable Mention. They pumped a trash bag full of acetylene and oxygen from a welding torch, attached a fuse, then lit it. The blast took out their eardrums and left a perfect bruise of the shirt they were wearing on their torso.

Molotov cocktails and fuel-air/fuel-vapour (petrol fumes) explosions are ways you can get the fire and explosions you'd desire, but I really, really don't like your chances of making an effective fuel-air explosion. You're more likely to blow yourself up during preparation than when you'd like. Besides. What would be the point? If you really want to make an explosion in PZ (or in real life, but lets not go into that) to blow a hole in a wall, uproot a tree stump, or just make a big hole very quickly, you're better off using ANFO. Mix oil with ammonium nitrate fertiliser, attach source of ignition, then run like buggery.

Hell, any nitrate based explosive (i.e: Sugar/nitrate 'taffy', often used in model rocket engines) would be a better way of making a boom than a fuel-air mix. At the very least, it's safer to handle.

Somewhat of a tangent: I wonder how much of a bang a glass jar/tin full of ANFO, with a fuse attached, would make? It -might- work as a grenade or for blasting open locked doors. At the cost of pulling every zombie for miles of course.

well, good luck then.

Actually, two perfect shots would be able to produce an explosion from the tank. One to puncture the tank, and the other to shoot the leaking propane that is now combustible with oxygen present. Perhaps that would be affected by the aim skill.

so you did not watch the video above in which the Myth Busters proved that to be wrong.

9MM rounds from 20 feet just dent the tank. true, a shotgun was able to penetrate the tank from 20 feet, but watch the videos to see just why your theory is wrong. hint, even tracer rounds from a 30-06 could not make the explosion you think would happen

but in the video posted earlier in this video they show how it can be done. you can argue all you want about this, but i and many others will believe Myth Busters and their video taped proof over hearsay.

Think about it, there's a horde surrounding you, you only have a few bullets, and it seems like it's the end...but wait! The BBQ is right next to you, so you whip out some steaks, and have a BBQ with your new buddies, throw back a few beers, and have a wonderful evening on the back porch.

;)

well, good luck then.

so you did not watch the video above in which the Myth Busters proved that to be wrong.

9MM rounds from 20 feet just dent the tank. true, a shotgun was able to penetrate the tank from 20 feet, but watch the videos to see just why your theory is wrong. hint, even tracer rounds from a 30-06 could not make the explosion you think would happen

but in the video posted earlier in this video they show how it can be done. you can argue all you want about this, but i and many others will believe Myth Busters and their video taped proof over hearsay.

Sorry, I didn't explain it quite right. Just shooting the tank won't do much, and the leaking methane wouldn't ignite if a bullet just whizzed by it. You would have to shoot the space around to create a spark and hope it ignites, sometimes it takes multiple shots for the sparks to hit at a that perfect moment. This works better when there's no wind to blow away the leaking gas. I've actually done it before, so it's not impossible just unlikely.

So... Why not let us 'cook' the propane tanks on a campfire? :3

Zombies like the light. And the heat would cause the propane tank to burst, then the open flames would light the fuel and boom! :D

Probably not as effective or fuel efficient as a Molotov, but by god would I love to be able to blast open the wall to the gun store without having to find a sledgehammer.

...granted the fire might be a bit of a problem afterwards. How're those fire extinguishers coming along? :D

Zombies like the light. And the heat would cause the propane tank to burst, then the open flames would light the fuel and boom! :D

Probably not as effective or fuel efficient as a Molotov, but by god would I love to be able to blast open the wall to the gun store without having to find a sledgehammer.

...granted the fire might be a bit of a problem afterwards. How're those fire extinguishers coming along? :D

^This.  A random timer after being added to the fire, and one hell of an AoE.

^This.  A random timer after being added to the fire, and one hell of an AoE.

Hell, you could go the whole hog and make a DeadRising style IED. Ductape nails, screws, glass, etc. to the outside of a propane bottle, THEN toss it in the fire. Of course, now you're probably more likely to be hoisted by your own petard given the cloud of shrapnel the thing will be giving off on detonation.

But keep in mind there's a difference between a bang and a boom (as it were). Making a decent sized, zombie killing explosion involves more than setting fire to highly energetic materials. For instance, a stick of dynamite taped against a wall will make a loud bang and not much else. Take the same stick of dynamite, then pack some bricks around it, and you're liable to blow a hole in the wall.

Crafting/finding reliable explosives is one thing, using them properly is another. Not blowing yourself up is an entirely different thing all together :P

Hell, you could go the whole hog and make a DeadRising style IED. Ductape nails, screws, glass, etc. to the outside of a propane bottle, THEN toss it in the fire. Of course, now you're probably more likely to be hoisted by your own petard given the cloud of shrapnel the thing will be giving off on detonation.

But keep in mind there's a difference between a bang and a boom (as it were). Making a decent sized, zombie killing explosion involves more than setting fire to highly energetic materials. For instance, a stick of dynamite taped against a wall will make a loud bang and not much else. Take the same stick of dynamite, then pack some bricks around it, and you're liable to blow a hole in the wall.

Crafting/finding reliable explosives is one thing, using them properly is another. Not blowing yourself up is an entirely different thing all together :P

Shrapnel would be ineffective unless it hit them in the head.  However the explosive force of compressed gasses would be at least enough to knock them off their feet, and knocking them senseless.