ASUS VivoBook S551LB

DoctahWong

Hey everyone, not sure if this is really the correct place to put this but it surely seems like it.

So, I decided to pick this particular laptop! Gonna be using it for schoolwork and gaming, not really gonna be used for hardcore/serious gaming. But what I'd like to know is if it'll run Grand Theft Auto V, The Forest, and all those other type of Steam games!

Only thing about it is it's touchscreen.

The Specs: 

Display Size: 15.6 inch 16:9 HD (1366 x 768) Glare panel
Processor: Intel Core i7 4500U
Operating System: Windows 8
RAM: 8 GB
Hard Disk Capacity: 1 TB 24 GB SSD
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GT 740M 2 GB DDR3
Bluetooth: Yes
Wifi: Integrated 802.11 b/g/n
Battery: 3 Cells 4500 mAh 50 hrs Polymer Battery
Webcam: HD 720p CMOS module

Time to put some of the games I'd like to run:

Grand Theft Auto V - Really wanna know if I can run it on medium-high or high settings.
Project Zomboid - Will run quite perfectly.
Skyrim - Possibly on high or medium-high
The Forest - ???
CS:GO - Will run perfectly.
DOTA2 - Will run... perfectly?

Would appreciate answers. :)

Grand Theft Auto V - Really wanna know if I can run it on medium-high or high settings

Really, really, really doubt you're gonna push anything higher than medium with a playable frame rate depending on if the port is any good and thats IF the port is any good.

Should work decently on medium settings, might chug here an there on high though.

Project Zomboid - Will run quite perfectly

CS:GO - Will run perfectly

DOTA2 - Will run... perfectly

Should

Should

and should

The Forest

No clue

Grand Theft Auto V - Really wanna know if I can run it on medium-high or high settings

Really, really, really doubt you're gonna push anything higher than medium with a playable frame rate depending on if the port is any good and thats IF the port is any good.

Should work decently on medium settings, might chug here an there on high though.

Project Zomboid - Will run quite perfectly

CS:GO - Will run perfectly

DOTA2 - Will run... perfectly

Should

Should

and should

The Forest

No clue

Seeing as how R* managed to make Max Payne 3 port perfectly, they'll PROBABLY succeed. Thanks for the help. :)

I know the forest is pretty intensive, I get around 12-23 fps on my mid-shelf laptop while running it with low resolution and medium settings.

Mind showing your specs? Is it high-end or middle-end?

Seeing as how R* managed to make Max Payne 3 port perfectly, they'll PROBABLY succeed. Thanks for the help. :)

Seeing their GTA IV port though, I've been seriously doubting the quality of GTA V on PC.

Kind of makes sense, since Max Payne 3 wasn't REALLY an free-roam game. So a chance that the quality of GTA V on PC will screw up... and screw up the optimization.

Question, do you think these specs can with some undemanding and mild-demanding games? For some reason, they say these specs will allow me to play ArmA III perfectly, but I don't believe that really?

That is decently beefy for a laptop, and the panel being much lower res than desktop monitors helps a lot. You should be fine for the most part. Except GTAV, you'll know when you see it.

I presume by beefy, it's decently good? Thanks by the way.

Gonna have to wait for R* to release the min. specs.

GTA V is hard to predict.

If it will be as optimised as games in the likes of Bioshock Infinite and the Battlefield series, you might be able to run it on 30-ish fps with medium settings. Don't count on it.

You will run into "problems" with CPU intensive games in comparison to other laptops that use a quadcore CPU instead of a dualcore.

You do have a gaming rig, right? Do you plan to game on it at home nonetheless? In that case you might consider Steam's In-Home streaming for more demanding games.

GTA V is hard to predict.

If it will be as optimised as games in the likes of Bioshock Infinite and the Battlefield series, you might be able to run it on 30-ish fps with medium settings. Don't count on it.

You will run into "problems" with CPU intensive games in comparison to other laptops that use a quadcore CPU instead of a dualcore.

You do have a gaming rig, right? Do you plan to game on it at home nonetheless? In that case you might consider Steam's In-Home streaming for more demanding games.

The rig of ours doesn't work since smoke came out of it two years ago. Unfortunately, parents will only buy me a laptop and we don't have the money to buy a gaming laptop.

There is one laptop that's a quad core. I'll post the specs later.

Oh, I was under the impression you already have the Asus laptop.

Is it still possible to suggest alternatives?

You could, but I'll have to try to find those alternatives in the site.

N550JV-CM203H

Specs:

Processor: Intel Core i7 4700HQ

Memory: 12GB

Display: 15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/IPS FHD (1920x1080) LED Backlight Non-Glare LCD Panel

Graphics: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4600+NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 4GB DDR3 VRAM

Storage: 1TB HD

Thing is, the seller of the laptop is only selling THIS one laptop and I got the specs of the laptop by searching more about it, not to mention he opened the box and used it only once. Which further adds to my suspicion.

I could try to convince them to buy me the Gigabyte P15F-V2, my dad'll probably flip since it's 6,099AED(1660USD). But I can try! :D

1660 USD

Jesus Christ. IMHO I'd get something a little more humble, gaming laptops are a joke and the price to performance ratio is so out of whack the only people I can see justifying the price are the ones who are constantly moving. Get a decent laptop then save for a rig.

1660 USD

Jesus Christ. IMHO I'd get something a little more humble, gaming laptops are a joke and the price to performance ratio is so out of whack the only people I can see justifying the price are the ones who are constantly moving. Get a decent laptop then save for a rig.

I'll just buy this one I guess, so long as I can run GTA V on high, medium, or a mix of both. I'll be happy, I'm not really the serious gamer so I'll just be fine. :)

If you have that kind of budget, I'd recommend possibly getting 2 devices: a desktop for gaming (save a lot of money) and something low key and mobile for school work.

If only I did, one day... :<

Oh, I was under the impression you already have the Asus laptop.

Is it still possible to suggest alternatives?

... Well, never mind. The choice has been made for this laptop.

Not to worry, not the hardcore gamer and my friends normally play DOTA2 and CS:GO.

There's no need to fear! As long as GTA V looks pretty in medium, I'll be fine... right?

P.S. Dear god, 25USD turns into 95AED, so a Steam Wallet here costs 95AED. 3:<

P.S. Dear god, 25USD turns into 95AED, so a Steam Wallet here costs 95AED. 3:<

Can you not just top it up $5USD? (I'm fairly certain the minimum to add to the Steam wallet is $5 for me... enough to finish up some sets of trading cards ;) )

Probably, I'm kinda referring to the 25$ Steam Wallets. The 5$ ones cost 18AED(But I think they only sell 25, 50, and 100's in the UAE).

Overall, games will run nicely on medium settings(I don't mind since most games look pretty awesome in medium) some guy managed to get 45fps on medium on Skyrim with this laptop! (Same specs too.)

24 GB SSD for the system? thats not enough - i recommend at least 128GB or more.

I think the laptop comes with that permanently, but I don't think I can get one that's too expensive for our budget.

Also, what's an SSD supposed to do? I heard it's used to speed up your work quicker than usual?

24 GB SSD for the system? thats not enough - i recommend at least 128GB or more.

With that amount, I personally would assume it is actually a single Hybrid Hard Drive - with 1TB disk storage, and 24GB solid state storage. So really, there's probably just 1TB of accessible disk space.

The hybrid drives then decide themselves what gets shifted or replicated from the disk to the solid state for faster access - usually regularly accessed files such as basic OS files, game maps and launchers, web browser caches, etc. It makes a truckload of difference at startup, in my experience.

Archived