How Addiction should work

GodWaffle

I believe addiction is something that the developers intend to add, so wanted to just share some of my thoughts on how this could work.

Firstly, there would be an 'Addictions' menu which could appear with the other character tabs.  In this menu, there would be a table which would show an item, and next to it a percentage of how addicted your character is (things at 0% won't be shown).

All 'addictive' items would have a 'addiction risk' when hovering over them, so you can avoid accidentally getting addicted.

Once you are addicted to something, if you go for an amount of time (depends on the item, and how addicted you are) without a fix, your character will get these moodles:

Fidgeting - Could do with some <ITEMNAME>
Withdrawal - In need of a fix, starting to feel symptoms
Bad Withdrawal - Feeling the withdrawal symptoms badly

After going through bad withdrawal for a certain amount of time (depends on the addiction risk), you'll be through it, however you'll be at risk of becoming addicted very easily if you go back to taking the item.

If there are NPC's taking items that you are addicted to, your character will start 'fidgeting' and depending on the symptoms, can become angry with the person.  

The withdrawal symptoms would really only add more moodles such as tiredness, weakness, sickness, fear, anxiety, etc.  We already have these moodles in place so this should be fairly easy.  The symptoms you get depends on your traits and the item you're addicted to.  For example a 'brooding' or 'short tempered' character should get angrier without alcohol (if they are addicted).

Anyway, I just came up with this now, hopefully some of these ideas can be useful!

• 3 weeks later...
I'd love to see this implemented in the game. In my particular case, be very useful to add it to my Marijuana mod, posted today. 

But even if I had not done this mod, I think addictions are linked to a life without hope, sad and lonely, like the characters in this game have. Escaping reality is innate in humans. Some invent a parallel reality to escape from reality, others use drugs. 

I believe who in a apocalyptic world as the of this game, many people end up becoming alcoholic or drug-addicted, with all that entails. 

In a world so, surely the end result would be the death by a bite.