Mods and Multiplayer - What goes?

Rusk

Hi!

Being the huge fan of zombie survival games that I am I thoroughly enjoy playing PZ. So much so that I got my own server running (176.58.126.21:64300) and started looking into customizing it right away. I know that PZ has a rich API that is accessible through Lua and wrote a trivial mod following RoboMat's instructions to get a hang of the essentials. I also know you can add items to the game.

With all that what I am wondering about is how that can be possibly fed into multiplayer at this point? Here are some concrete questions:

• Is it possible to use Mods at all in MP?
    • If so is there a distinction between serverside and clientside mods?
      • serverside: Mod only needs to be installed on server and its functionality is propagated to clients. Therefore clients could connect to such a server with a vanilla installation of PZ
      • clientside: To be able to play on a server that has a certain mod installed clients would need to install that mod prior to joining
  • Is it possible to supplement server behaviour using Lua scripts outside of a mod? Things like location-specific chance-based triggers for certain events?

Thanks in advance!

Mods can be used in MP but it's a fairly new thing, whether a given mod works in MP depends entirely on what the mod happens to be doing. There's no proper distinction between serverside and clientside mods as of now. Both client and server are required to have all Lua files be 100% identical, as in, exact same mods installed. You can't have any scripts outside of that checking as far as I know.

Thanks for the info.

I am trying to get the mod I have written (makes a player say gibberish upon swinging his weapon) running on my server. Is there a documentation on that out there somewhere?

The mod works clientside. That I have checked. I then copied the mod files over to "../projectzomboid/mods/mymod", added the modid to the "loaded.txt" in "../projectzomboid/mods/mymod" and also added the modid to the line "Mods" in the "servertest.ini" in "../Zomboid/Server/". The server loads fine and accepts client connection. The mod though does not work. Any ideas?