New wilderness or keep the current one?

Necromatic_Corgi

New wilderness or keep the current one?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the wilderness reworked to have bigger trees, Dips in terrain, Realistic looking creeks, Fallen trees, Riverbanks ect.?

• New awesome revamped wilderness.
    • Keep the old one, With the trees that slow you down constantly.
    • I don't care about wilderness.

For too long have we had the plain boring forests we currently have, Let's face it, It need's to be completely redone. New fancy stuff like fallen trees and rocks and other stuff that's in the poll.

Post comments about what you care for and don't care for. Feel free to have your own opinion.

Definitely new wilderness, even if it isn't as detailed as we'd like. Just stop those trees slowing us down. It makes zero sense to me as to what PZ is trying to emulate. Unless it's emulating rushes and high grass etc... I'd like a visual representation with trees more spaced out.

I think/hope a lot of aesthetics will be added to the forest like rocks, small creeks, etc... Things that are there for visual but don't really affect the game play

And then there's also features that WOULD affect gameplay: Wilderness noise that cuts out the faint footsteps of wandering zombies, or the light moan of a nearby zed...

And other things which I'm not gonna say cause right now I'm thick

Definitely new wilderness, even if it isn't as detailed as we'd like. Just stop those trees slowing us down. It makes zero sense to me as to what PZ is trying to emulate. Unless it's emulating rushes and high grass etc... I'd like a visual representation with trees more spaced out.

Yeah, I would like it to be detailed enough to be realistic looking though.

I think/hope a lot of aesthetics will be added to the forest like rocks, small creeks, etc... Things that are there for visual but don't really affect the game play

And then there's also features that WOULD affect gameplay: Wilderness noise that cuts out the faint footsteps of wandering zombies, or the light moan of a nearby zed...

And other things which I'm not gonna say cause right now I'm thick

Feature's like poison ivy? 

Already planned, more or less.

Overhauls of overhauls are pretty definite things to happen at some point.

Yeah but will it be nicely detailed? I sure do hope so

Probably as much as possible after 1.0. I think all the devs will tackle a specific thing a while after 1.0 is released. Or so I assume.

Already planned, more or less.

Overhauls of overhauls are pretty definite things to happen at some point.

Yeah but will it be nicely detailed? I sure do hope so

Probably as much as possible after 1.0. I think all the devs will tackle a specific thing a while after 1.0 is released. Or so I assume.

Yeah, Like dogs, New stealth mechanics, And various overhauls such as medical.

Waist high vegetation. That may or may not contain rocks, potholes, crawlers, poison ivy or land mines... Fuck it.. I'm getting my long stick and poking my way through slowly. Or burning everything. Or both.

Seriously though, depending on how desperate the military got, air/artillery delivered mine bomblets would be fucking terrifying. You'd be able to see them in game, and know not to go near them (unless you wanted to get zombies to set them off and call MORE friends to play). But at night, or in long grass...?

Some form of minefield has to be a thing in the future. But not much of a thing. I like my waist area intact :P

At the moment it feels like there isn't really a town and ''wilderness'' areas.. but more like the town and ''the trees'' 'cose there's no variation in nature. It would be nice to have those rocks and ponds and whatever in the wilderness so it would feel like it makes a difference to live in there. That in the nature there would also be different kinds of areas, like in the town area.

When you look at the map there's so much of this wilderness area that has absolutely nothing but trees to it. If the developers want to make the world feel more realistic it would be good to - not only to finish the town area and npcs - but to also pay attention to this large map area that currently has no purpose for a player.

Waist high vegetation. That may or may not contain rocks, potholes, crawlers, poison ivy or land mines... Fuck it.. I'm getting my long stick and poking my way through slowly. Or burning everything. Or both.

Seriously though, depending on how desperate the military got, air/artillery delivered mine bomblets would be fucking terrifying. You'd be able to see them in game, and know not to go near them (unless you wanted to get zombies to set them off and call MORE friends to play). But at night, or in long grass...?

Some form of minefield has to be a thing in the future. But not much of a thing. I like my waist area intact :P

Lol, Another reason for machetes to be added ;) I'm not sure about minefields though. Maybe just some mines around military encampments? I would also love to ambush people in long grass. :D That would be fun.

Lol, Another reason for machetes to be added ;) I'm not sure about minefields though. Maybe just some mines around military encampments? I would also love to ambush people in long grass. :D That would be fun.

I do not think land mines would improve the game. Think of this scenario, you have survived six months and are doing great. Walking along and *boom* land mine f***s you up the rear end. Would end up like creepers from minecraft, more annoying than helpful.

Also I do not like that crawlers can hide in tall grass so well, have you ever tried sneaking up on somebody in tall grass? It is next to impossible because the grass moves when you do, giving you away. I highly doubt a mindless zombie would ever be able to hid its movement, especially considering the fact that it is clumsily dragging itself.

Land mines would be pretty Op, But I think hiding from zeds in tall grass would be cool, Although maybe not super realistic. It could be useful.

Also I do not like that crawlers can hide in tall grass so well, have you ever tried sneaking up on somebody in tall grass? It is next to impossible because the grass moves when you do, giving you away. I highly doubt a mindless zombie would ever be able to hid its movement, especially considering the fact that it is clumsily dragging itself.

I could imagine not seeing a zack if it was laying in the grass inactive until you happened close by. But if it was already moving you'd see something was there, even if not what.

*SNIP*

[Eww, land mines]

*SNIP*

That's why I was suggesting artillery or air-dropped mine bomblets, rather than the buried-in-the-ground kind. You'd be able to see them as a player without any form of special equipment, and could avoid them. But they would HAVE to be a rare thing to avoid a creeper-enema type situation.

You'd probably only find unmarked mine-bomblet fields like this near a large-scale battleground. Think the battle of Yonkers from the World War Z novel. The army digs in, and starts throwing everything they have at the oncoming megahorde. Artillery. Bombs. Even tanks firing pointblank into the undead tide. Lobbing a minefield (or several) in the path of the horde would make sense from a military standpoint (after all, mine-bomblets serve as a quick and nasty way to deny the use of territory to an enemy), but wouldn't be too effective against the undead. After all, mines are designed to horribly wound, disfigure and maim. Not kill.

Net result? If there's ever a large-scale abandoned battlefield in Zomboid, you'd likely come across a few scattered mine bomblets here and there, in addition to all the other forms of unexploded ordnance that litter a modern battlefield. Not to mention a bunch of mangled crawlers. The zombies mostly cleared the mines out after all.

HOWEVER.

It also seems reasonable to assume the military would start laying proper minefields at some point too. Either to slow the zombies down, or make sure civilians would only take certain paths out of the area (nasty thought right there...). Whatever the reason, those types of mines would be buried in the ground and the field would be MARKED. You'd see a fence around the field, or at least signs saying 'DANGER: MINES'. Those kinds of fields would be easy to avoid (assuming the zombies haven't destroyed the fences/signs that mark them), but the player could always lure a horde into one, or gingerly inch their way across it in a pinch.

Does anyone remember watching MASH? When the ground gets cold enough, it starts to contract a bit, and that pressure can set off a mine. Having landmines popping off in the distance due to the cold, zombies/survivors stumbling into them, or wildlife having a bad day, could work well as a metagame event for moving zombies around.

In closing, land mines would add a nice bit of spice to Zomboid's gameplay, but they would have to be very rare, and only used only in certain parts of the map, under certain conditions, to avoid from being frustrating gameplay element. Plus, having a character attempting to dig/pick one up without the appropriate training would be a pretty amusing anti-suggestion :P

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget that properly laid and marked minefields are also marked on military maps. This would be another nifty thing to add to the 'finding-tourist-maps' mechanic that's been talked about. Finding the map to a minefield could become a quest in and of itself, never mind what's on the opposite side.

*SNIP*

[Eww, land mines]

*SNIP*

That's why I was suggesting artillery or air-dropped mine bomblets, rather than the buried-in-the-ground kind. You'd be able to see them as a player without any form of special equipment, and could avoid them. But they would HAVE to be a rare thing to avoid a creeper-enema type situation.

You'd probably only find unmarked mine-bomblet fields like this near a large-scale battleground. Think the battle of Yonkers from the World War Z novel. The army digs in, and starts throwing everything they have at the oncoming megahorde. Artillery. Bombs. Even tanks firing pointblank into the undead tide. Lobbing a minefield (or several) in the path of the horde would make sense from a military standpoint (after all, mine-bomblets serve as a quick and nasty way to deny the use of territory to an enemy), but wouldn't be too effective against the undead. After all, mines are designed to horribly wound, disfigure and maim. Not kill.

Net result? If there's ever a large-scale abandoned battlefield in Zomboid, you'd likely come across a few scattered mine bomblets here and there, in addition to all the other forms of unexploded ordnance that litter a modern battlefield. Not to mention a bunch of mangled crawlers. The zombies mostly cleared the mines out after all.

HOWEVER.

It also seems reasonable to assume the military would start laying proper minefields at some point too. Either to slow the zombies down, or make sure civilians would only take certain paths out of the area (nasty thought right there...). Whatever the reason, those types of mines would be buried in the ground and the field would be MARKED. You'd see a fence around the field, or at least signs saying 'DANGER: MINES'. Those kinds of fields would be easy to avoid (assuming the zombies haven't destroyed the fences/signs that mark them), but the player could always lure a horde into one, or gingerly inch their way across it in a pinch.

Does anyone remember watching MASH? When the ground gets cold enough, it starts to contract a bit, and that pressure can set off a mine. Having landmines popping off in the distance due to the cold, zombies/survivors stumbling into them, or wildlife having a bad day, could work well as a metagame event for moving zombies around.

In closing, land mines would add a nice bit of spice to Zomboid's gameplay, but they would have to be very rare, and only used only in certain parts of the map, under certain conditions, to avoid from being frustrating gameplay element. Plus, having a character attempting to dig/pick one up without the appropriate training would be a pretty amusing anti-suggestion :P

EDIT: Oh, and don't forget that properly laid and marked minefields are also marked on military maps. This would be another nifty thing to add to the 'finding-tourist-maps' mechanic that's been talked about. Finding the map to a minefield could become a quest in and of itself, never mind what's on the opposite side.

I don't think minefields would work in this game, Because it would be an instakill. While it could be cool, It's not fun, And the devs only add things that are fun. A mine or two around a military road block could be cool though ;)