What type of clothing do you want to see?

Necromatic_Corgi

Given that dev time isn't free, I think it'd be best to come up with a short wishlist first and extend later if desired. Where possible, I have attempted to use American English names primarily and list British, Australian, and South African names in parentheses, but my Washington-Baltimore-Arlington metropolitan area vocabulary may differ from that used in the Elizabethtown metropolitan area (where Muldraugh and West Point are).

Thinking about aesthetics and mechanics, for clothing slots, my priorities would be:

1. Outerwear (coats and sweaters, worn over most clothing).
  2. Head (hats and caps)
  3. Neck (scarves, bandanas, ties).
  4. Socks (incl. long underwear).

...and for individual items:

1. Boots. Common, military colors (tan, green, brown, black), warm (+5). Major foot protection against biting, scratches, fire, other hazards. Small penalty to movement speed.
  2. Sneakers (a.k.a. trainers, running shoes, tackies). Common, variety of colors, warmish (+3). Some foot protection. Small boost to speed.
  3. Flip-flops (a.k.a. thongs, slops - cheap sandals). Common, variety of colors, minimal warmth (+1). Minimal to no foot protection. Significant penalty to speed.
  4. Baseball cap. Common, variety of colors (incl. forest camo), minimal warmth (+1?). Reduces hyperthermia effect of sunny weather.
  5. Campaign hat. Uncommon (primarily found with police or park service uniforms), military colors, warm (+5). Reduces hyperthermia effect of sunny weather, hypothermia effect of wind. Significantly slows wetting from rain.
  6. Knit cap (a.k.a. (to)boggan, stocking cap, watch cap, beanie, tuque, ...). Common, variety of colors (incl. forest camo), very warm (+10). Slightly reduces hypothermia effect of wind.
  7. Raincoat (a.k.a. rain jacket, slicker - also including windbreakers). Common, variety of colors (incl. forest camo), warm (+5). Reduces hypothermia effect of wind - reduction stacks with hat. Reduced hyperthermia effect (-2) representing ability to wear unzipped. Significantly slows wetting from rain - slowing stacks with campaign hat for near-total protection.
  8. Leather jacket (a.k.a. motorcycle jacket). Neither common nor uncommon, brown or black, very warm (+10). Reduced hyperthermia effect (-4) representing ability to wear unbuttoned. Major protection against scratches and bites. Otherwise like raincoat.
  9. Ski jacket (a.k.a. snow jacket, parka). Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, exceptionally warm (+20). Reduced hyperthermia effect (-10) representing ability to open zipper and vents. Moderate protection against scratches and bites. Otherwise like raincoat.
  10. Sweatpants (a.k.a. tracksuit bottoms, jogging bottoms, tracky daks). Common, variety of colors, very warm (+12). Otherwise like pants.
  11. Winter scarf (a.k.a. muffler, neck-wrap). Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, very warm (+10). Reduces hypothermia effect of wind.
  12. Socks. Common, variety of colors, little warmth (+2). Small penalty to speed if worn without shoes, small boost to speed if worn with shoes (protects against blisters).

Other possibilities that I like for purely aesthetic reasons:

• T-shirt. Common, variety of colors, not too warm (+5). As far as game mechanics are concerned, identical to the vest, but with a different model.
  • Button-down shirt (a.k.a. button-up shirt, button-front shirt, button shirt, dress shirt). Common, variety of colors, not too warm (+6). Identical to blouse, but with a different model.
  • Blazer (a.k.a. sport coat/jacket, sports coat/jacket, tweed coat/jacket). Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, not too warm (+6). Reduced hyperthermia effect (-1) representing ability to wear unbuttoned. Otherwise like sweater, but with a different model.
  • Fedora. Uncommon, limited colors (black, grey, tan, dark brown). Identical to campaign hat, but with a different model.
  • Cowboy hat. Uncommon, military colors plus grey. Identical to campaign hat, but with a different model.
  • Police cap (also worn by security guards). Uncommon, blue or black. Identical to baseball cap, but with a different model.
  • Bandana (a.k.a. kerchief). Uncommon, variety of colors, warmish (+3). No other effects.
  • Necktie. Common, variety of colors, little warmth (+2). No other effects.
  • Heels (a.k.a pumps, court shoes). Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, little warmth (+2). Little foot protection. Significant penalty to speed.
  • Tights (a.k.a. hose, pantyhose, leggings). Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, minimal warmth (+1). Otherwise like socks.
  • Winter socks. Neither common nor uncommon, variety of colors, warm (+6). Otherwise like socks.

Whatever options go into the game, though, I'd want the clothes to work identically on every character, male or female. That doesn't seem like it should be difficult to implement mechanically, and a lot of players will get a huge kick out of it (including me).

You're welcome!

That said, I want to emphasize for the record that all the numbers above are ~100% pulled out of my ass. Googling for information on clothing and comfort turned up a concept from thermal comfort research of clothing insulation, measured in clo: on average, a sedentary person wearing 1 clo in a 70 degree Fahrenheit (21 degree Celsius) room will be comfortable. It'd probably be better to set up clothing temperatures on that scale instead.

...actually, I think that would feasible. The devs would probably want to add traits to adjust temperature comfort and sensitivity (some people walk around in T-shirts while it's snowing outside, other people put on a winter coat when it hits 60 F), but as long as clothing temperature modifiers were adjusted based on level of activity, you could probably handle all of that pretty well. In fact, if you take walking-around-and-doing-things as the baseline for metabolic activity (i.e. 2 met, instead of 1 met), the effective change of temperature in degrees Fahrenheit for many garments would be of a similar order of magnitude as the current numbers for clothes in-game:

• Mandatory underwear (not shown): 1 F
  • Shoes: 0.5 F
  • Skirt (assuming thin): 3.6 F
  • Pants (assuming thick): 6.2 F
  • Vest (assuming thin): 3.4 F
  • Blouse (assuming lightweight, long sleeves): 3.9 F
  • Sweater: 9.4 F

...and comfort occurs if clothes temperature plus environmental temperature is within a few degrees of ... 86 F?

Also: double clothing temp for hard exertion (e.g. digging holes, sawing wood), two-thirds for passive activity (e.g. reading a book), two-fifths for sleeping.

I think this would change my suggestions for what clothing to include.

I want high heels and a sexy dress...I want to look amazing when i lead people to their death..

Aaaaand then you need to start sprinting and parkouring through houses to escape hordes and you do something nasty to your ankles.

That said, it -could- be an interesting mechanic. Wearing sexy(ish) clothing, including footwear, to gain some small buff interacting with NPCs. Of course, you'd need to change into something more appropriate when heading into combat or running away.

Screw appropriate, i want high heels and a sexy dress xD, and pft, i wouldn't parkour through a house, i would stand my ground or go around or even through if their numbers were small and i was fast enough, but knowing me, I would manage to break my leg first day of the apocalypse and have to be carried to safety..xD

I'd love to see a leather jacket- maybe even a motorcycle helmet along with that?! (And it'd come with a visual debuff? Just an idea :P )

I've always wanted military clothing too, like gas masks, camouflage jackets and trousers-as well as armoured attire.. It'd probably be a pain in the ass to create and animate, but hey, just a thought. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see rare Army/Hunting Vests/Trousers with a lot of pockets.

They would add extra inventories with smaller capacities to keep stuff more organized.

Yeah, like in DayZ..

I could store bullets in my vest, have some bandages and a bit of food in my pants...

...and a hidden knife on my shin.

I think they should add a clothing store with some of these ideas and a costume store. The costumes could be sponsored or they could be just for looks. In multiplayer i would like to see people look different then the same clothes and a few minor differences. I also think that it should have some effect on NPCs. If you have on a police uniform the bandits or raiders will be a bit more hostile or violent while citizens will have a bit more respect or fear. If you are in a zombie costume you may be shot but others may be terrified of you. A random rabbit costume because why the hell not! Also some costumes could be packaged in a costume bag that may come with a toy weapon or something. Also a new occupation, Designer/model-Gains happiness when wearing different outfits or near clothes like looking through a closet or carrying clothes. Just a random thought.