Animal Taming

migulao

I think when hunting is released (and npcs, this a bit of the same technology needed), you should be able to tame pets, for example, instead of killing an animal, you can try to aproach it, with a feeding item on your hand, and if your lucky (in real life AND with the lucky trait) it might eat it and decide to follow you around, with this you could:

-Get a predator to join you, helping you hunt other animals and protecting you from zombies, but will eat a part of the animal they hunt (they need feeding too).

-Breed animals, then kill them for meat.

-Get animals like chickens and cows, so you can get eggs and milk (need some kind of progress bar, witch you increase by feeding it, and then you are able to get the food)

Also, open a new tab in the skills/character menu, where it would show the list of animals you own, in witch it would show their loyalty to you (change to leave in a fight/betray you, most likely with predators)

how hungry they are, their happiness and exclusively to animals like chickens and cows, the bar that shows you how close you are to collecting the recources they give, and the hungry and happiness bars would also influence loyalty.

So there, a giant wall of text, tell me what you think in the replies  :D

I think when hunting is released (and npcs, this a bit of the same technology needed), you should be able to tame pets, for example, instead of killing an animal, you can try to aproach it, with a feeding item on your hand, and if your lucky (in real life AND with the lucky trait) it might eat it and decide to follow you around, with this you could:

-Get a predator to join you, helping you hunt other animals and protecting you from zombies, but will eat a part of the animal they hunt (they need feeding too).

-Breed animals, then kill them for meat.

-Get animals like chickens and cows, so you can get eggs and milk (need some kind of progress bar, witch you increase by feeding it, and then you are able to get the food)

Also, open a new tab in the skills/character menu, where it would show the list of animals you own, in witch it would show their loyalty to you (change to leave in a fight/betray you, most likely with predators)

how hungry they are, their happiness and exclusively to animals like chickens and cows, the bar that shows you how close you are to collecting the recources they give, and the hungry and happiness bars would also influence loyalty.

So there, a giant wall of text, tell me what you think in the replies  :D

While it would be cool to have chickens, This isn't harvest moon. I could see finding wild pigs in the forest's, And then you could bring them back and breed them though. :)

While it would be cool to have chickens, This isn't harvest moon. I could see finding wild pigs in the forest's, And then you could bring them back and breed them though.  :)

But it is rural Kentucky. Farm animals are everywhere out here. I drive around working on air conditioners for a living and you'd be surprised how many farm animals you'd see outside the proper city limits. Cows, horses, goats, chickens, pigs, rabbits. You name it and I've probably seen it. I've probably seen hundreds of it. Lots of people have enough space for at least a few animals and decide to put that space to use. So the zeds come in and break down the pens keeping the animals in and the animals that survive the slaughter hightail it outta there to safety.

You'll not have any problem finding domesticated farm animals.

I'd love to be able to go out and get a hawk or eagle egg from a nest and raise it to be a hunting companion. Such a thing is possible, albeit extremely difficult to do. I imagine that it could be an animal training specialization that lets you train exotic animals like that more easily at the expense of being able to train other animals very well.

The topic of animals will provide a lot of possibilities, but I think if there will be deers and squirrels on the map  much will be achieved. As far as I understood the way of the game designers they do not want a much too strong focus on animals in general so I think dogs, fish and wild animals will be the only thing that will be implemented. Nevertheless, having a farm of animals same like I am farming at the moment sounds great to me. Riding into battle on my yellow-black striped cows while wielding my war hammer and firing my potatoes cannon.

Just imagine the fascination of a social conversation between a pig and a zombie, both being hungry on the opposite sides of fence and life.

Pig:  squeak! squeak!!

Zombie: Uuuuh!!

Pig: squeak! squeak! squeeeek!

Zombie: Uuuuhh!

Pig: squeak! sque..!

Zombie: Uuuhuk!

Pig: SQUEEEHK!

Zombie: squeak! squeak! squeak!

Pig: Goodbye, Ben!

THIS IS HOW EVOLUTION WORKS!!

Imagine if the Project Zomboid zombie plague affected animals as well. This way, animal hunting would be more challenging and less overpowered. Tamed "pet" animals could turn if they were bit by a zombie. 

I don't think that would fit in with zomboid though, I think zombies should be zombies and animals should be animals and npc's should be npc's, No special infected or bosses (unless it's a clown or riotgear zombie) :)

Imagine if the Project Zomboid zombie plague affected animals as well. This way, animal hunting would be more challenging and less overpowered. Tamed "pet" animals could turn if they were bit by a zombie. 

read this http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/

Sorry, thanks for pointing that out. I totally forgot that was a BIG NO. Well, I honestly don't think it would be a good idea anyway.

When I think of animal farming in PZ the only thing that comes to mind is "HEY ZOMBIES! CHECK THIS OUT!" While ringing a dinner bell.

If you're stupid enough to keep noisy animals near areas where zack might frequent then you deserve whatever happens to you. Having animals will certainly attract zed regardless, but the benefit outweighs the risk so long as you take necessary precautions. Do you know how much meat you can get off of one adult pig? Enough to feed a group of four for months.

When I think of animal farming in PZ the only thing that comes to mind is "HEY ZOMBIES! CHECK THIS OUT!" While ringing a dinner bell.

If you're stupid enough to keep noisy animals near areas where zack might frequent then you deserve whatever happens to you. Having animals will certainly attract zed regardless, but the benefit outweighs the risk so long as you take necessary precautions. Do you know how much meat you can get off of one adult pig? Enough to feed a group of four for months.

If farming animals was ever implemented, I would hope they attract zombies.  I suppose you could keep a farm away from your house, but where could you do it where zeds wouldn't frequent?  Especially if roaming hordes ever come back into the picture.  How much an adult pig could feed would only matter if power was on, or if a way to preserve meat was implemented, otherwise the risk wouldn't be worth it.

Food preservation will almost certainly be added at some point. Humans have been preserving meat for millenia before we even had electricity. To not include such things would be ludicrous. And yeah, animals would attract zombies from relatively short distances. Doesn't mean you have to set up your base in areas where zombies will frequent. Most zombies cluster around the center of towns and other high density, high traffic areas. So it would be relatively safe to put a small, two or three animal ranch on the very outskirts of a town where zombie density is less of a problem. It'll bring the zeds in, sure, but if you've got enough manpower to where keeping livestock for the large amounts of food is necessary, you'll likely have enough manpower to defend that herd from a small horde of roaming zack.

The farther out from town you go, the easier it would be to defend a herd. Going out into the woods and building a fort would likely be a popular method of survival for small groups of survivors unable or unwilling to deal with frequent swarms. Your primary concern then would likely be humans first and foremost. The occasional mega horde that plows through would also be a concern but that would ruin you regardless of where you were or whether you had livestock or not. And even then you might be able to hold out if you fought back hard enough and your armory was well stocked. Once you cleared away the trees and used the wood for fencing you'd have more than enough grazing land for a sizable livestock herd of any kind.

Food preservation will almost certainly be added at some point. Humans have been preserving meat for millenia before we even had electricity. To not include such things would be ludicrous. And yeah, animals would attract zombies from relatively short distances. Doesn't mean you have to set up your base in areas where zombies will frequent. Most zombies cluster around the center of towns and other high density, high traffic areas. So it would be relatively safe to put a small, two or three animal ranch on the very outskirts of a town where zombie density is less of a problem. It'll bring the zeds in, sure, but if you've got enough manpower to where keeping livestock for the large amounts of food is necessary, you'll likely have enough manpower to defend that herd from a small horde of roaming zack.

The farther out from town you go, the easier it would be to defend a herd. Going out into the woods and building a fort would likely be a popular method of survival for small groups of survivors unable or unwilling to deal with frequent swarms. Your primary concern then would likely be humans first and foremost. The occasional mega horde that plows through would also be a concern but that would ruin you regardless of where you were or whether you had livestock or not. And even then you might be able to hold out if you fought back hard enough and your armory was well stocked. Once you cleared away the trees and used the wood for fencing you'd have more than enough grazing land for a sizable livestock herd of any kind.

Personally, I think I will stick in the sunstar hotel in muldraugh, since its my safehouse, zed dont spawn there as much as they used to, the only thing left unbarricaded are some windows from some of the lower rooms, but the center would be a great place to let the pigs roam in, as I have made a wall and doors on the 2 gaps