The new Ranged Weapon System

Ok so even though build 28 will have some nice goodies for multiplayer, I'd say its primarily a firearms overhaul. Does this mean we'll finally get to have firearm magazines? 

It would be great to be able to find magazines around, load up the bullets comfortably at your safehouse, put two or three mags in the 'ammo belt', load one up into your pistol and go guns blazing into town square, mall or whatever.

Where tapping R would cycle through magazines and holding down R would unload/load magazine (so you can reload bullets onto the magazine). As for reloading magazines requiring you would equip it as primary or secondary and then hold down R to began reloading. 

I believe this system is fairly similar to the already one in place if you change reloading difficulty to highest. But that system is kind of buggy. And only having one magazine available kind of defeats the purpose. Not to mention it doesn't have a sprite assigned to it.

read the whole thread, can't believe no one even talked about magazines tsk tsk.

I approve of magazines! I love micro managing..

The MP7 is a German Personal Defence Weapon (PDW) manufactured by Heckler & Koch (H&K) and chambered for the HK 4.6×30mm cartridge. It was designed with the new cartridge to meet NATO requirements published in 1989, as these requirements call for a personal defense weapon (PDW) class firearm, with a greater ability to defeat body armor than current weapons limited to conventional pistol cartridges. The MP7 went into production in 2001. It is a direct rival to the FN P90, also developed in response to NATO's requirement. The weapon has been revised since its introduction and the current production versions are the MP7A1 and newest MP7A2 The proliferation of high-quality body armour has begun to make guns that fire pistol ammunition (such as Heckler & Koch's earlier MP5 submachine gun or USP pistol) ineffective. In response to this trend, Heckler & Koch designed the MP7 (along with the now cancelled UCP pistol, which uses the same ammunition) to penetrate body armor, but small enough to be used in place of either a pistol or a submachine gun 

The MP7 uses a short stroke piston gas system as used on H&K's G36 and HK416 assault rifles, in place of a blowback system traditionally seen on sub-machine guns including those by H&K.The 4.6x30mm ammunition is virtually exclusive to the gun (save for the now cancelled Heckler & Koch UCP and a planned variant of the Brügger & Thomet MP9) and also offers low recoil. This ammunition is unique among submachine guns in that the bullet is made almost entirely of a hardened steel penetrator instead of softer copper or lead.

The weapon allows a conventional 20-round, 30-round, or 40-round box magazine to be fit within the pistol grip (the 20-round magazine being comparable in size to a 15-round 9mm magazine, while the 40-round magazine compares to a 30-round 9 mm magazine). The weapon features an ambidextrous fire selector, bolt catch lever and magazine release. It has an extendable stock and a folding front grip; it can be fired either one-handed or two-handed.It is compact and light, due to the use of polymers in its construction.

post-16811-0-75630700-1407342027_thumb.j

post-16811-0-66763200-1407342028_thumb.j

post-16811-0-16447000-1407342029_thumb.j

The M16 rifle, officially designated Rifle, Caliber 5.56 mm, M16, is the United States military select-fire adaptation of the AR-15 rifle. The rifle was adapted for semi-automatic and full-automatic fire.Colt purchased the rights to the AR-15 from ArmaLite, and currently uses that designation only for semi-automatic versions of the rifle. The M16 fires the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge. The rifle entered United States Army service and was deployed for jungle warfare operations in South Vietnam in 1963, becoming the U.S. military's standard service rifle of the Vietnam War by 1969,replacing the M14 rifle in that role. The U.S. Army retained the M14 in CONUS, Europe, and South Korea until 1970. In 1983 with the USMC's adoption of the M16A2 (1986 for the US Army), the M16 rifle was modified for three-round bursts, with some later variants having all modes of fire and has been the primary service rifle of the U.S. armed forces.

post-16811-0-11394900-1407342702_thumb.j

post-16811-0-77125300-1407342702_thumb.j

post-16811-0-40420000-1407342703_thumb.j

The people that you are so stupid to understand the seriousness of the game? you have there in Canada all this stupid? I am Russian, I know what the game of survival even in the Dayz weapons even more in reality weapons will be more than this stupid beta games don't make fun of playing any game zombie weapon should be in bulk is one of the main rules of the game of this genre

If you're such an Expert then go play in what I suggested and people give to make the game normally Otherwise the game as was sad shit so be it and all because Canadian Stupidity

The people that you are so stupid to understand the seriousness of the game? you have there in Canada all this stupid? I am Russian, I know what the game of survival even in the Dayz weapons even more in reality weapons will be more than this stupid beta games don't make fun of playing any game zombie weapon should be in bulk is one of the main rules of the game of this genre

And one of the main rules of the forum is "be lovely." That means keeping calm when replying to someone that doesn't necessarily agree with you.

One idea for an upgrade might be canted ironsights.   They are a secondary sight on a rifle that let you aim at close targets without using the optics.    That might take away or reduce the minimum range on rifles.

-snip video-

I use them in Battlefield 3 all the time.

This isn't really something you find on civilian weapons... pretty much ever. Requires a rail system and they're quite uncommon. Further, none of the weapons we have in the game would be compatible with that style mounting system.

I disagree. Rails are very common in the US. One of the most popular firearms, the AR-15, often has a picatinny rail built into the upper receiver for the mounting of optics, etc. Additionally, many heatshields have places where you can mount rails or you can find quad rails to replace the "traditional" heatshields entirely. As a US citizen (in California no less!), most of my personal firearms and many that I see at local gunstores usually have rails.

Rathlord is right, this has been talked many times in this post, you don't want an assault rifle in a zombie apocalypse anyway.

And be lovely, I don't like when people say that our moderators are "stupid", last warning.

A smart person rarely deviates from semiautomatic, so when you take magazine capacity, reliability, and versatility into account, I think an assault rifle is an exceptional tool for the apocalypse. Regardless of whether it is added or not, the game is pretty damn fun, and there are mods for that sort of thing if you must have it.

EDIT: By the way, I appreciate the attention to detail the team has 

Also went back and double checked tax records, there are 3,000 registered tax stamps for suppressors in Kentucky, and this includes stuff like those gimmicky oil filter conversion kits, which must be registered. And Kentucky has something along the lines of 4.3 million citizens....

Edited by Roo Rocket

One idea for an upgrade might be canted ironsights.   They are a secondary sight on a rifle that let you aim at close targets without using the optics.    That might take away or reduce the minimum range on rifles.

-snip video-

This isn't really something you find on civilian weapons... pretty much ever. Requires a rail system and they're quite uncommon. Further, none of the weapons we have in the game would be compatible with that style mounting system.

I disagree. Rails are very common in the US. One of the most popular firearms, the AR-15, often has a picatinny rail built into the upper receiver for the mounting of optics, etc. Additionally, many heatshields have places where you can mount rails or you can find quad rails to replace the "traditional" heatshields entirely. As a US citizen (in California no less!), most of my personal firearms and many that I see at local gunstores usually have rails.

I was more referring to the weapon types we have in the game rather than assault rifles like the AR-15; shoulda been more clear, sorry! But things like the Remington 700 .308 and .223 don't have rails, nor most pistols or any civilian shotguns that I've ever seen. 

I don't reaaaaally consider the AR-15 to be a civilian weapon either (as it was developed specifically for military use), but I do understand that many people own them. I wouldn't necessarily be against a very basic, semi-auto assault rifle in the game; what I really don't want to see are fully auto assault rifles with tactical military only attachments like the AR-15's scary brother, the M16.

Any thoughts on a real aim-cursor? I´ve written more about it in post #95.

I talked with Lemmy and RJ about this at one point. It's doable, but I'm not sure it's doable in the short term. It may be a concept we can revisit later in development (no promises of course, after all I'm just the tech support guy :P )

Maybe, but when someone is "asking" for something by just copy/paste wikipedia stuff and then inult our moderator, i'm more like "mmh, nope."

For sure, that guy was way out of line

-snip video-

I was more referring to the weapon types we have in the game rather than assault rifles like the AR-15; shoulda been more clear, sorry! But things like the Remington 700 .308 and .223 don't have rails, nor most pistols or any civilian shotguns that I've ever seen. 

I don't reaaaaally consider the AR-15 to be a civilian weapon either (as it was developed specifically for military use), but I do understand that many people own them. I wouldn't necessarily be against a very basic, semi-auto assault rifle in the game; what I really don't want to see are fully auto assault rifles with tactical military only attachments like the AR-15's scary brother, the M16.

It is generally accepted as one though, granted, more so in some parts of the nation compared to others. I agree with you about military weapons and variants though

I don't care let's ban important is the fact that while the game make Degrading face in it there will be no one to play or project must be sold to those who know how to do it or to listen to the players and not to send in a blunt Call of duty, You get it?!

I don't care let's ban important is the fact that while the game make Degrading face in it there will be no one to play or project must be sold to those who know how to do it or to listen to the players and not to send in a blunt Call of duty, You get it?!

The project isn't going to die because very specific definitions of weapons aren't in the game. There's no point in continuing this argument further.

The project isn't going to die because very specific definitions of weapons aren't in the game. There's no point in continuing this argument further.

Using English and common sense don't seem to be working, let me try something:

Also, I'm just gonna leave this here: 

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/8741-realistic-kentucky-firearms-mod/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4712-yet-another-weapon-mod/

Yeah I would just like to add my support to the idea of assault rifles. They have a fire selecter for a reason. Offer me a .303 with a 10 round mag, and an AK with a 30 round mag and I know which one I would take - 30 trigger pulls before reload compaired to 10 isnt a compititon. Also a gun like the AK would be almost perfect considering the conditions that it would most likely be used in.

eg: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgrJElGOMMg

Along with that, I would like to point out that silencers (suppressors) arent that hard to come by, or even just make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiqFcIXTqs

This product could easily be reproduced with some simple tools that you would find in just about any decent workshop (like the car repair yard - one of my personal favs for a base setup). A tapping kit to make a few threads and a oil filter from any random car, and you have your self a relativily decent supressor.

Finally just some statistics:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2012/12/20/assault_rifle_stats_how_many_assault_rifles_are_there_in_america.html

"...reported that, from 1986 to 2007, at least 1,626,525 AR-15-style semi-automatic rifles were produced and not exported from the United States."

The point of this thread is to explain and get feed back on the changes to the ranged weapon system, not to ask for assault  weapons, there is a suggestion forum for that sort of thing.  Also in the first few lines of this thread it actually says Assault weapons are not for now, no need to ask for them ;)

I'm a bit lazy to go through the 7 pages so I'm sorry if this question has already been asked (and it probably has).

How does the Policeman profession influences the aiming skill ? Do you have a basic "solid" aiming skill ? or do you level up faster ? like an XP multiplier as books do for other skills ?

And another question :

Will you fix the "reload difficulty" along with the weapon overhaul ? It's been broken for a while and it would make sense to see it back in the game while you guys are working on firearms imo ^^ I liked the fact we were able to remove magazines and have a couple of spare ones in our pocket instead of having a couple of loaded guns !
And It would be pretty nice to see it in MP, would add a more "tactical" aspect before going into quests/missions : preparing a few mags, maintening your weapon in a decent state etc...

Also I'm a gun noob irl, does bolt action rifles use magazines or do you load them bullet by bullet just like the shotgun ?

Deprav most bolt-action rifles (specifically the Remington 700 on which our rifles are loosely based) have a "magazine" that can be removed, but not one that's quickly removed and changed- they're typically loaded from the top, slipping down into the magazine. I only ever remove mine to clean.