Better Forests

Shagyee

The forests right now are alright, but they look nothing like any woods I've ever been to. Big trees, tall grass? Stinging nettles, sticker bushes? In real life you can't just sprint through the woods unless there is trails. It would be cool to have to spend time using a machete to make clearings in the thick parts. Not sure how the forest looks where the game takes place, but I'm sure there should also at least be some ponds (pretty sure that's being worked on, though). 

And when you are living in the woods, you shouldn't just have to build an entire cabin to live in. What about shelters from tipped trees and tarps, or just simple stick tepees? Maybe even just some big leaves to make cover in the rain.

There is going to be a nature overhaul sometime in the future. There are gonna be a bunch of overhauls like medical and sanity etc.. 

I had to look up a picture of Kentucky's woods as I live nowhere near Kentucky. As I expected it looks like any old woodland.

l1an2NL.jpg

There is going to be a nature overhaul sometime in the future. There are gonna be a bunch of overhauls like medical and sanity etc.. 

I had to look up a picture of Kentucky's woods as I live nowhere near Kentucky. As I expected it looks like any old woodland.

l1an2NL.jpg

That looks very smexy, I love nature. Hopefully they will be able to make hills like that and maybe flowing rivers? I think it would be possible. I think this should come after npc's, vehicles and animals are finished. Then medical, ect.

I think so, too! The other day, I was toying around with the building and map editing tools and I believe as of now the most realistic forests would be by making detailed forest "buildings" in the building editor and then put them into the forests of your map. I personally did some "buildings" with lots of dirt and some grass, small streams and also many non-pine / fir trees (aka the ones you see in the city for example) then I added some limber and some stumps to simulate other survivors that tried to build small cabins in the woods but failed. While it looked more beautiful and detailed than the normal trees only forests, theres only so much you can do with like, 3 fir trees and 4-5 aspen / dedicious trees.

I think so, too! The other day, I was toying around with the building and map editing tools and I believe as of now the most realistic forests would be by making detailed forest "buildings" in the building editor and then put them into the forests of your map. I personally did some "buildings" with lots of dirt and some grass, small streams and also many non-pine / fir trees (aka the ones you see in the city for example) then I added some limber and some stumps to simulate other survivors that tried to build small cabins in the woods but failed. While it looked more beautiful and detailed than the normal trees only forests, theres only so much you can do with like, 3 fir trees and 4-5 aspen / dedicious trees.

While it would have more detail, I and I think the rest of the people that want a wilderness overhaul would want real hills, Creeks with rocks and stuff in them, Cliffs that you could fall down if your not careful, I think once they get animals in people will start to notice how undetailed the wilderness really is. No offence to the devs of course, They made a amazing game, Just need to re do the wilderness. This game has the potential to become better than dayz...well to me it already is lol. Once pz  gets out of alpha and into 1.0, I think this game will get a lot more attention

Those pictures... I really hope we can have something close to that. Wow...

I can just imagine being out there with unique clothes, a tent, hunting knife, a visible backpack and a rifle on my character. :o

YUHSS!! Another thing that could be cool is tracking, And maybe a real tint, Not that flimsy sheet tint, But a tarp looking one. For tracking, If you shot and animal they would leave a trail of blood, And if you follow it you will find it dead. Or maybe the zeds get to it first. :)

All of this on the late-game. I know the devs want it romero style, but THESE are the parts I take from TWD, the scenery and apocalypse look/feel. Not the survival, that's great already. Just making it look and feel more realistic on the map is something I really hope to see or I would personally be disappointed. I'd still love the game as much as I do but I want PZ to get the attention it deserves.

Tracking, yes. All of these suggestions are making my mind explode figuratively with the possibilities. 

All of this on the late-game. I know the devs want it romero style, but THESE are the parts I take from TWD, the scenery and apocalypse look/feel. Not the survival, that's great already. Just making it look and feel more realistic on the map is something I really hope to see or I would personally be disappointed. I'd still love the game as much as I do but I want PZ to get the attention it deserves.

Tracking, yes. All of these suggestions are making my mind explode figuratively with the possibilities. 

If they don't do it, They would be making a huge mistake. People love survival games, And have epic wilderness is a big part in that.

But I think they know what they are doing. They will do it at some point. 

Did the devs mention when on the timeline they would be implementing such overhauls? Obviously after NPCs, Hunting and vehicles are implemented, but will the overhaul phase be done before the v1.0 release, or after?

Did the devs mention when on the timeline they would be implementing such overhauls? Obviously after NPCs, Hunting and vehicles are implemented, but will the overhaul phase be done before the v1.0 release, or after?

It will probably be after. http://projectzomboid.com/blog/2013/10/apzdtisa-ii/ If you look there, They say it will be after hunting, So it will most likely come after 1.0...or maybe before, I'm not sure. Up to the devs really

While it will never be as detailed as those photos, we do hope to improve wilderness at some point. Small things like having to avoid poison ivy would add small gameplay elements that would add up to something bigger.

Might we be able to have hills? And fallen tree's? And realistic looking creeks? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, Just really curious. I, And lots of other people think the wilderness needs to be believable. Like ditches and rocks, And cliffs....and other snazzy stuff :D

I can just imagine it...

Running into a forest to try and escape a horde after you had to use your gun for an emergency

Tripping over rocks, getting whipped by branches and falling into small grooves or ditches since it's so dark

YES. That would be truly amazing....If they don't do something like that, With ditches and cliffs ect. I will be so sad :(

While it will never be as detailed as those photos, we do hope to improve wilderness at some point. Small things like having to avoid poison ivy would add small gameplay elements that would add up to something bigger.

Damn! Didn't think nature was going to get anymore attention. Something to look forward to.

Damn! Didn't think nature was going to get anymore attention. Something to look forward to.

Why would you think it wouldn't get any attention? Everyone loves nature :D

One of the most important things would be more and larger trees. Then the detail like dried and fresh leaves on the ground, branches and small bodies of water. Heck, for all i care they could even just make like large forest tiles that include dried forests bushes and groups of trees and spam them over the forest areas. As long as I have an immersive and beautiful feel to the forests im fine. Just drawing out the images of my "The road"-esque looking survivor in winter clothing and the glorious thick beard kneeling infront of a faint fire in a dark and blinding forest with a hunting rifle and a large filled backpack and some cans of soup next to me.