Start game with job-appropriate items

Pat_Bren

This seems obvious so it may have been suggested before, but what if the player always starts with a couple of items, and the occupation you choose changes these? For example, a cop would start with a pistol, a fireman with an axe, a park ranger with a campfire/tent kit etc. This might make up for a job whose perks are a little lackluster, eg. the park ranger loot would make it attractive for players to choose, even though the perk that job gives you ("Outdoorsman") doesn't really do much.

This would be too exploitable, it would mean you just start as fireman and put your axe in a box, die, repeat. Same for all other items. Imagine people doing it in MP to get loads of tools and ammo. And outdoorsman is my favorite perk it is perfect for a mobile looter-type because rain does not make you ill as easily.

All in all if it is an optional 'quick start' option then yes I would not mind it, otherwise I'd pass.

To an extent, I don't think that a fireman or a park ranger would just carry around an axe or a tent all day in real life.

Thats true, but maybe the Officer and Construction perks find it around their house? 

That could work well, but could be a little like the construction worker is now, everyone choosing the officer because he starts with a gun in the starting house. 

It actually could be randomized with the clothing, starting at random times during the game and your character might be in his/her work clothes. Or they might be in casual clothing.

To an extent, I don't think that a fireman or a park ranger would just carry around an axe or a tent all day in real life.

Thats true, but maybe the Officer and Construction perks find it around their house? 

That could work well, but could be a little like the construction worker is now, everyone choosing the officer because he starts with a gun in the starting house. 

It actually could be randomized with the clothing, starting at random times during the game and your character might be in his/her work clothes. Or they might be in casual clothing.

That is a cool idea. But, I think this will be something the devs will consider once they get their major features done.

That is a cool idea. But, I think this will be something the devs will consider once they get their major features done.

Yep, almost all suggestions lately come back to "not now, but when major features are done". :P

We do not know what time of day the zombie doomsday started or what shift the character was on. Perhaps it happened while they were off work. Also the doomsday has been going on for a few weeks when you start, I am betting they changed their cloths at least the first time they got blood on them or at some point within those few weeks. Maybe zombies wearing this gear or sometimes spawning wearing some of the gear, but otherwise I do not think it makes it more realistic.

Are you sure? Rick Grimes never changed his clothes.... *Gives Serious Stare*

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know.... It should be a chance of having the items. EX:

Fireman has 10% Chance of spawning with axe.

Or Security Guard has 15% chance of spawning with baton, or whatever.

It'd make more sense.

*Under the line is for author*

A way to stop exploits would be to make it so only the first character gets the items, any others on the same file don't. They, and anyone with the unemployed "job", would start with a couple of bits of random loot that may or may not be helpful.

EDIT: The new character not having the weapons/tools/clothes the first person has would be because it's likely they would be broken or used up, if they need an "in world" explanation.

I'm not sure I like this, it gives the impression that you started at a set location or doing a set thing. Honestly, I think I would prefer being able to set custom occupations as opposed to this. Maybe being able to start in a certain location, but that's really all I would support, good idea, just not my cup of tea, really really good suggestion though. :)

I think there should be a chance to start with random items based on your character.

Like a 1 in 6 chance to start with different things pertaining to your job.

IE: Construction Worker, Could start with a hammer, a screwdriver, or just something simple like a box of nails or a random amount between 5 and 50.

Later on when more professions are added it would be nice to see options like this.

Also some zombies could be made to pertain to specific jobs and have a higher chance to have stuff based on those jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

We do not know what time of day the zombie doomsday started or what shift the character was on. Perhaps it happened while they were off work. Also the doomsday has been going on for a few weeks when you start, I am betting they changed their cloths at least the first time they got blood on them or at some point within those few weeks. Maybe zombies wearing this gear or sometimes spawning wearing some of the gear, but otherwise I do not think it makes it more realistic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It'd make more sense.

But then people would just kill themselves, respawn, kill themselves, respawn, over and over again until they got the weapon.

It'd make more sense.

But then people would just kill themselves, respawn, kill themselves, respawn, over and over again until they got the weapon.

Another idea I have is:

The first time you spawn with a job related object, the chance of spawning with it again is, say, 1%. And if you spawn with that, it would go to 0% chance.

Police spawns with either keys to police car (when vehicles are implemented, to save you having to find keys or hotwire) or a baton or pistol

Builder spawns with a random assortment of nails and other small things in his tool belt 

Security spawns with a flashlight

Fireman spawns with either keys to the firetruck or a crowbar

Outdoorsman spawns with a hunting knife