I dun goofed at the mall.

Dtrahan12

sorry, no molotovs right now.

but it kind of seems like a great way to try and burn the mall down before you explore it

Hahaha yeah knowing my luck and probable lack of aim I'd end up doing exactly that :lol:  was thinking more of a fire/maneuver concept - bring the horde out into the open, make them all nice and crispy-little-critter, rinse and repeat.

So no petrol bombs for now, which means no more sock-collecting - darn them ;)  I'll look forward to them in a future build.

• 3 weeks later...

I am going for the mall in one my save games. I have my main base set up in the big 2 story gas station on the main road. Got food and ammo there if I have to run(and two way to get there. Then I have a base set up in the house north of the mall. I have a strong safe house there with food and farming. as well as weapons. I am trying to take the mall in small runs. get in kill off a few then go back to base for the night. But you need to take it slow. I have 5 safe house from knox to the mall and it now taking me a month and a half to get set up there and I have killed over 3000 zombies getting to the mall. I will take the mall of die trying. And die is likely what will happen. LoL

Well, actually I don't see the mall as a huge problem right now. I went there clear some areas, sneak peek the rest of the mall and doesn't seem as crowded as one could think. I was going to tell you how I got there, but it's quite a long story. 

So, getting to the important part, there are some adivces I should make to those brave enough to visit the mall:

Time it's your worst enemy. In the mall are a lot of zombies, inside and outside, but if you are in the mall and the light goes out (nighttime), you are in a very bad spot. Find a secure place to put your tent and sleep until daytime and you shouldn't have any trouble surivivng the mall.

Sneaking is what you are going to do most of the time. There are lots of zombies in the mall and even more in the parking lot in the mall area. I sneaked most of the parking lot without killing a single zombie, and a gunshot event make most of the zombies in the mall entrance move to the cinema area allowing me to just break the door to get in the mall. Inside the mall, you just don't want to get caught between two groups of zombies, so you have to make the least noise possible.

Firearms are a bad idea. You might think that if there are lots of zombies,  firearms might be useful... and they might be for distraction purposes. Trying to kill that amount of zombies with firearms it's more like a suicide, since all the noise will atract all the zombies to you. Want to use firearms? you better be good with them.

What weapons you should take with you it's quite all up to you. An axe (or more) it's always recommended, but i don't recommend stabbing weapons. You can kill zombies with just 1 hit of a knife, but if there is another one near the first one, you might get punched (or worse). In my opinion, an axe (or more) and some baseball bats are the best equipment.

Tactical approach: choosing where to fight is improving your chances to survive. The good thing of the Mall is that you have doors and corridors and they are very useful. You can kill a lot of zombies with a baseball bat without moving in a corridor, and using doors prevent them to follow you and allowing you to control how many zombies are you fighting at once.

There is a storage room in the south west part of the Mall, (if you are entering from the west side, go south through the corridor next to the entrance). Inside there, you can use the stairs to go to the roof of the Mall, where you can make a little base if you are in need of it (a good place to sleep as it's zombie free). The storage room it's the safest way to the roof top because there is a door connecting the other floors of the mall, preventing zombies to roam freely.

I think that's all I have to say right now. Good luck to everyone when visiting the mall!

The odd thing is...for my first ever trip to the mall (about a week ago, if you can believe it...I generally stay in Muldraugh so I've never been to the mall before) I came loaded for bear.  An axe, some wood glue (for when the axe wore out), a shotgun and 4 boxes of ammo, and a ton of food (in case I got cornered somewhere).  The outside of the mall did not disappoint - there were so many zombies that it was hard to actually make progress towards the mall. 

Then I got inside, and I found two zombies in the entire mall.  It was almost completely empty - and it was also totally unlooted; I was the first person there on my server.

Interesting...

zeds are not alive so shotgun dont work as it would against leaving beings by inflicting deadly wounds on several targets

Shotguns don't work like that on living targets either.  Might want to get to the range sometime.

zeds are not alive so shotgun dont work as it would against leaving beings by inflicting deadly wounds on several targets

Shotguns don't work like that on living targets either.  Might want to get to the range sometime.

i was talking about rpg games shotgun type :P most rpgs ive played shotguns have spread damage, so my opinion was about the ingame shotgun not real shotguns, and taking that spread effect into consideration, we have to think that even if we hit 2, 3 or 4 targets with one shot it should mostly cripple/dismember zeds instead of "killing" them coz you need headshots to "kill"

Yea all this mall stuff made me check it out again, I normally don't start in west point but figured I haven't given the mall the attention it deserves so I went packing, and headed my way up there. First off its quit a nice ways up there, and both times I got eaten after all that way SOB. The first time I got though a back door, and there wasn't to many on the parking lot. Man o man when I opened that door there was dozens of them in that hallway, I managed to run further inside(like a dumbass) and ended up on the roof top. After zig zaging my ass all over the place though the corridors of death and, well what do you know got my self trapped. There was 3 options I had at that point. 1)Let the dead eat me.(but that idea didn't sound to good for me) 2.) Let the infection kill me and turn. I had been bitten and scratched all over the place, or 3.) already being hurt jump down off the mall and kill myself, so i jumped.

The 2nd time I finally made it up there with it nearly raining the whole time, I thought I was gonna get sick by the time I got there) Heavily drenched I made it to the abandoned airfield for the night, for some fresh cloths and a quick meal. Though the meal wasent it's finest as it was a dead mouse and some radish's. When I did allmost get to the mall, It rained yet again and now with a hungry horde giving chase I happen to get inside the theater, with a door unlocked. Stayed another night, then when I finally made it to the mall I opened the front door(yay) and died from a  swarm of them(aww)

Im about to start up, yet again and make a trip yet again there and see if this time I can do it. Though maybe I should prepare alittle more, the first time I had just a freakin frying pan. 2ns time was a crowbar

ok I made it there again and just spent the last 3 hours in just one corner of the mall alone, there is a lot of zombies indeed. This time I ended up staying at the theater for 3 days from a huge ass horde that was on my tail, never really exploring this building except the first floor, I find over 700nails and two baseballs bats & a saw on the 2nd, and plenty of food of course down at the food court area. I was going to just stay there, but still needed a axe, have a sledgehammer too. My original plan if I could find everything to build was just build wood flooring from the rooftop of the theater to the mall. Not sure if there is access to the roof from the theater or not. I know I couldn't find one. 

I ended up making my way in the mall on the far right-side of it, where the(Spiffo Kid) area is at and the food court. I've spend 3 hours just clearing that out and a few hallways, in 5days and already have blunt skill 2. I am determined to take this place, though it seems its gonna be awhile.