Primitive irrigation system

GSC

Rain doesn't seem to water the plants at the moment, so they require regular watering by the player.

Running back and forth with a can or bucket of water is fun at first, but it's exhausting and soon becomes mundane.

My idea is a simple craftable "irrigation system" that facilitates this process. It would utilize a hand pump and a length of punctured hose (plugged at the far end) to transfer water from a nearby rain barrel to a batch of crops, watering them evenly, with less physical effort.

Crafting such a contraption would require a hose, screwdriver / drill (to make the holes, duct tape (or similar) to seal the joints and a pumping device (perhaps also craftable?) to get the water flowing.

I know it sounds a bit elaborate, but I think we would all devise something like this if we had to become farmers without machinery. People often have such watering systems (with electric pumps) installed in their gardens. Hand pumps can often be found in gardening and DIY stores, sometimes even at gas stations.

Edit:

A simpler option, based on TinnedEpic's suggestion: use gravity instead of a pump. Craft some stairs, place the barrel 1 floor above ground level and let the water flow by itself. Turn it on/off at the barrel or let it shut of automatically when the plants are fully watered.

After further thought, I think the irrigation hose should cover either a (5-10 square long) straight line from the barrel, or a rectangular area (say 4x4 or 5x5) around the barrel.

I would rather see other aspects of game more detailed developed like move and combat animations, Npc group join, different kind of zombies.

This game shouldnt be complicated for survival when it comes to farming and combining lots of materials for farming.

This what you said should be simple and remove repeating but it would be best if farming is simple part of game.

There are people that wants it to be complicated but i think this should be game of action and fighting and roleplaying with NPC not farming simulator.

So would be cool for some players to have option to remove difficult farming and have only basic options to get food from farming.

That includes remove watering system from basic farming.

I would rather see other aspects of game more detailed developed like move and combat animations, Npc group join, different kind of zombies.

This game shouldnt be complicated for survival when it comes to farming and combining lots of materials for farming.

This what you said should be simple and remove repeating but it would be best if farming is simple part of game.

There are people that wants it to be complicated but i think this should be game of action and fighting and roleplaying with NPC not farming simulator.

So would be cool for some players to have option to remove difficult farming and have only basic options to get food from farming.

Most of the things your saying should happen are planned.

Referring to: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/192-commonly-suggested-suggestions-read-before-posting/,

[y]    More animations

[y]    More weapons

[y]    More sprites

[y]    More/Different sneaking animations

[y]    NPC's (of all types, good and bad)

[y]    NPC relationships

[y]    NPC companions

[y]    NPC infection

[y]    NPC management

[y]    Unarmed combat

I disagree with your statement personally. I don't think the game should be more about fighting. Project zomboid is a survival game and watering your plants is part of survival and being self-sufficient in building a 1 person society (with NPC's possibly multiple person).

What I would like to see is rain also water plants, but I also like this idea.

I would prefer less tedious over "simple", by your definition. Watering the plants manually (you can only do 2 plants at a time with a full watering can) may be a "simple" procedure but it is incredibly time-consuming. A semi-automated system (which you only need to build once, you know, if you want to) would reduce the time and energy put into farming, allowing you to spend more time doing the other things, including the ones you say the game should be about.

While we are on that subject: the preferred focus of the game varies by player, game mode etc. It also inevitably changes depending on how long you have survived. Few people will become farmers in week 1 or 2, but when you have consumed most of the readily available food in town and the city streets are overrun by thousands of zeds, it is only sensible to move to a safer location and find alternate food sources.

If rain waters plants then this whole problem will go away won't it?

Possibly. It depends on the implementation and weather changes.

I imagine crops will still need to be monitored and tended, even if rainfall provides some of the water they require. An irrigation system would also allow the mass distribution of pesticides.

• 1 month later...

If all you want to do is kill zombies and play rpg with npc's WHY are you playing project zomboid? it is more of a survival builder game with zombie twist.

oh, just realized she is banned anyway ... lol. 

But this is an awesome idea. it is sounds like a perfect next step for players who have survived for a while and have been stuck doing more chore like things instead of expanding their base, exploring, killing. all the while still keeping farming from being dumbed down entirely.