is the world becoming oversensitive?

123Imirish

I've noticed that if you say anything these days that one person or another gets offended or starts making accusations.

example a celeb taking photos who  caught a woman in the frame was beaten up in Times Square. He called her a c!*t on Twitter and the internet blew up claiming he was racist because she was black.

The world has become wayyyyy to thinking they are entitled to hearing only what they want and all other opinions are evil and must be destroyed. If people get there views challanged in a fair or unfair way one person starts screaming murder as evidenced by the number of locked threads on here (not meaning to offend any admins, im talking about participants on these fourms, not you guys closing them) Don't know if i'm phrasing this correctly but I hope you guys get what I mean. Are we becoming a race of oversensitive idiots? If so, please hit us asteroids, please.

It's all about image. People that are involved in these gaffs get fired/vilified because the negative press is perceived to give their employers a bad reputation. So they cut their losses.

Are people over sensitive? Probably so but that isn't anything new but thanks to social media we hear about it more. The real problem with this is that it distracts from real issues, real stories, like that of institutionalized racism. Or how politicians demonize and lie about poor people, wanting to cut government spending, so that they can keep diverting the money and spending billions on defense contracts that don't do any good. So I agree with you in a sense, people are being over sensitive/angry and I'm not surprised. However, a lot of people don't see the big picture and are blind to the things which they should be outraged against so instead they put too much emphasis on what a celebrity should be doing. Remember, in the US, prestege and personal success are the highest of virtues so people pay too much attention to what some famous person tweets rather than worry about real racism, prejudices, that exist and truly harm people. Problems that sheltered people think don't exist anymore but they definitely do. I hope this makes sense, I posted this via my phone.

example a celeb taking photos who  caught a woman in the frame was beaten up in Times Square. He called her a c!*t on Twitter and the internet blew up claiming he was racist because she was black.

That particular example, I'm fairly sure that *most* of the outrage was a result of the deeply deeply unpleasant things he said about her afterwards which wasn't just restricted to one use of that one word.

That particular example, I'm fairly sure that *most* of the outrage was a result of the deeply deeply unpleasant things he said about her afterwards which wasn't just restricted to one use of that one word.

didn't know that he said anything after

Well, yeah people in general are close-minded and oversensitive, nothing new here. Maybe look for a few who don't give a f$ in this world, those are the gems.

Well, as hard as it is to believe, humanity is progressing. In general, people are more open minded now than ever before in history. Also, there's a difference between giving a damn about actual issues, issues which affect the livelihood of people, and caring about these "scandals." That's my problem with the recent "outrage" culture that's manifested thanks to the 24 hour news cycle and social media. It's not that I don't think racism or prejudices aren't a problem, is that so many people focus on these small instances instead of attacking these societal problems at their root.

In this case, he deserves to be fired from his job, but is this guy any worse than racists or prejudice people that I bump into on an almost daily basis? No. The issue is much bigger, much more systematic, and I'd like to see people having actual meaningful debates instead of the typical bull that becomes a story. I hate it because they act that guys like Anthony Cumia are some kind of rarity, like he's an endangered specie of asshole, when in reality people like him are all too common.

We're being overly stimulated by useless information and yet we all still choose to comment.  No one respecting one another because they are not looking at them in the eyes.  Our ability to learn from the comfort of our own homes is astounding really, but we tend to waste our time on petty, trivial things and let strangers provoke us with their rude behavior. 

People need to learn a new set of morals and responsibility that comes with immediate recognition through social media.  Sadly, with no consequences, people will be rude and gripe and whine and blame anything but themselves when online... luckily the aforementioned Anthony Cumia is a known celeb, and will suffer consequences.  Most people get away with their idiocies and verbally abusive nature they display online.  

Businesses will protect their image first and foremost, and rightly so...  This doesn't mean we're becoming overly sensitive, just means companies like to kiss our ass so we'll keep giving them our money.  

Over sensitivity has always been there, we are a sensitive species... we're lucky to have come this far and still have a ways to go before we can truly understand and respect one another with all our differences.

Oversensitive? I'm more worried about political correctness.

Damn fed up with it. Can't say anything anymore without offending someone for the slightest thing or end up being called racist for the most benign comment.

Damn fed up with it. Can't say anything anymore without offending someone for the slightest thing or end up being called racist for the most benign comment.

. . . . When does this ever happen? Not my experience at all. What I do hear a lot of is people saying racist things but thinking it's okay because they have a friend who's a minority. As an example.

. . . . When does this ever happen? Not my experience at all. What I do hear a lot of is people saying racist things but thinking it's okay because they have a friend who's a minority. As an example.

Happens a lot, and I'm not referring to actual racist comments being disguised as something else. Talking media witch hunts when someone who is in the spotlight says something that is considered non-PC. Political witch hunts on outspoken political issues like immigration, benefits and a wide range of other topics that is considered 'sensitive' and too radical for liberal thought.

Hell, a good few years ago, an idiotic politician here in Dublin (Mary Harney) made a public comment on how inappropriate it was to ask for black tea; this was in relation to a story that was revealed when a person asked for black tea was told politely that what they meant was tea with no milk. Never heard anything as stupid as that in my life and since I consider myself a media hound, in terms of keeping up with the news, I'm affronted with a lot of political correctness going on.

If we Irish do know anything it's about tea :D

1-2 cuppas a day. Unhealthy much? We are the second biggest consumers of tea in the world (Turkey is no 1.) and only 4 million people.

I remember in secondary school I told a guy who happened to be black in my class to `shut up a55h()!e` (don't know if cursing will get meh banned :P )

well anyway, around half the class were offended and claimed I was racist. I've also noticed there's a double standard, like being racist to white people is impossible.And that's enforced 99% by white people

Yeah I agree about everything having to be PC is ridiculous, also swearing is fine as long as you don't do it expressly to insult another or diminish the value of a group of people or person, and we aren't robots you know, if you write a55h()!e we are all smart enough to know exactly what you mean so what is the point of doing it really?

They might warn you but you would have to fuck up pretty badly to get perma-banned on a single offence. Usually getting banned permanently is when you offend over and over again and start attacking people on a repetitive and personal manner. Even the odd argument would be tolerated you know, the forum is very lovely and the street of loveliness goes both ways. :)

Might as well save myself from repeating what I wrote on Reddit:

In general . . .

You'll quickly find that flaming and unnecessary uproar are generated by the way something seemingly reasonable is presented. Punctuating (or padding) a valid point with vulgarity and debasement doesn't increase the strength of your point. It merely inflames others and starts fights.

"In general . . ." is the key phrase, of course. It doesn't necessarily apply to anyone's examples above.

Archived