Best place to create a safehouse in Westpoint?

EcksTen

I had a quick look but couldn't see this asked before, please point me in the right direction if it has been discussed at length.

Looking at the map from BlindCoder there is a place in Muldraugh that is noted for being a good building agreed by many to be the best place to set up your safehouse, I was just wondering if there is equally a spot in WestPoint that people agree is a good place to set up a safehouse?

Twiggy's seems better to me. It's more dangerous and there are more zombies but you have a lot of storing space and two fridges. You are close to the best parts of town, but you will have to go a (relatively) long way to get to the houses. Fishing is also an option there. I would consider this for the more advanced Zomboid players.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6711439395974877,0.11532903015594403,205.3333333333334

There's a stretch of housing with a tall fence behind it that I usually like to go whenever I want to build a serious base. It's near the center of town and the tall fencing provides ample natural borders to expand on when I want to build a protective wall.

Lot's of interesting ideas here and also nice to see people's reasoning for the places they chose.

I was looking more from a centralised perspective, something that has good security, close enough to loot the shops and the houses too and has opportunity to minimise on resources used (e.g.  A pre-existing wall to build up to).

I went to Twiggy's but I didn't like the layout, it does seem close to the shops and good for that Mall run, but there's no bed! (Yes, I know it's just cosmetic because you can sleep on chairs, but I like the idea of my character sleeping in a bed).  Also I couldn't find the second fridge - not that this makes any difference as after the power goes out it becomes moot.

Kajin, are you talking about this row of houses? - http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6406887885453215,0.10434870739956738,87.14228238844818

That's an interesting spot, might give it a try for a second base.

Does anyone know if there is a finite amount of nails in the game?  Or if the devs intend to make it finite?

Lot's of interesting ideas here and also nice to see people's reasoning for the places they chose.

I was looking more from a centralised perspective, something that has good security, close enough to loot the shops and the houses too and has opportunity to minimise on resources used (e.g.  A pre-existing wall to build up to).

I went to Twiggy's but I didn't like the layout, it does seem close to the shops and good for that Mall run, but there's no bed! (Yes, I know it's just cosmetic because you can sleep on chairs, but I like the idea of my character sleeping in a bed).  Also I couldn't find the second fridge - not that this makes any difference as after the power goes out it becomes moot.

Kajin, are you talking about this row of houses? - http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6406887885453215,0.10434870739956738,87.14228238844818

That's an interesting spot, might give it a try for a second base.

Does anyone know if there is a finite amount of nails in the game?  Or if the devs intend to make it finite?

There is a finite amount of nails I think. You can find lots though. In the North Warehouse in Muldraugh I found about 3-4 boxes (100 per box) and the same amount when I broke all the crates with the sledgehammer.

I suspect this row. you can grab a beig piece of land with 20 walls or so and expand in modules of sorts. 

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.62885196320298,0.10198280545062119,72.61856865704016

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about.

School is where I ended up. Plenty of interior doors to break down and cut out sections of the school. Plenty of reading materials, lots of food until the power goes out, lots of water when the power goes out. Roof is easily accessible and the river is only 2 blocks away. Haven't had a stray zombie in a while there. 

There is a finite amount of nails I think. You can find lots though. In the North Warehouse in Muldraugh I found about 3-4 boxes (100 per box) and the same amount when I broke all the crates with the sledgehammer.

Wait, you can break crates?  And get nails from them?

Thanks for the clarification, I like that ones at the East end, makes it nice and close to the shops, might make that second base there if I find more nails.

School is where I ended up. Plenty of interior doors to break down and cut out sections of the school. Plenty of reading materials, lots of food until the power goes out, lots of water when the power goes out. Roof is easily accessible and the river is only 2 blocks away. Haven't had a stray zombie in a while there. 

I like the school, easy to clear out, but it's quite far from the shops.

I personally like this house a lot: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6494121158006925,0.102213917437081,323.3392291209263

-Two Stories

-Good centralized location yet still relatively on the outskirts

Gerbil, you're neighbours with me :)

As for me, i like this nice blue house: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6324825484325671,0.08854528761630252,129.94278433679202

Pretty house, not many zombies around, close to water, with a good place for fishing not far. What else do you need when the world dies? :)

School is near, with a lot of books.

I usually build looong walls connecting the house with the shed and the neighbour house.

The only problem in the beginning is to find an axe, because the stores are far from here. Sometimes i'm lucky enough to find one in a corpse.. The other way is to take a trip by the seaside, passing by the gun shop, to the storage lots. 

Wait, you can break crates?  And get nails from them?

(You don't get nails from destroying them, but the stuff left inside)

Yes, you are certain to find a sledgehammer there. You just need one in your main inventory and you can click: Destroy crate (furniture). You cant access about 60% of the crates there since they are stacked too high. (fedora) The stuff that's inside drops on the floor. It will take a while, but you can also opt to just go to McCoy Logging if you want faster acces.

I think the best safe house is right in the middle of town.  I like the two story office building next to the big church.  There's a balcony that's good for farming, several bathrooms to at least get you a few days more of water after it shuts off, and plenty of windows to board up to level your carpentry.

Honestly, at this point in the game's development, a house that would be "safe" in real life (like the picnic area or the ones at the edge of town) is pretty much the worst place to build, because you won't have anything to do once it's built.

If you want to build a crafted safehouse, this is a nice spot (http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6270698299910458,0.08305693486254942,360.3656307129799).

Of course it is relatively far away from the inner city, but you have a low amount of zombies there and fishing is an opportunity. I liked it to build my own house out there, although it got boring after a while, since I had killed all zombies within this area. So if you want to live in the "wilderness", I would recomment it :)

My personal favourite: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6341125784089521,0.08941769873068321,113.32177360774637

Build walls between the houses (and the shed), barricade all the ground floor windows, then hang sheet ropes out the second story windows. Bam. Fortress. Located near a bunch of spots to loot, and trees to boot. Best thing, however, is the parking lot/boat house to the north. It's a perfect landmark when walking up and down the river; You can get to Gigamart, etc and back in less than a day without getting lost.