If And When What Would Be Your Plan

Decay

Well considering i live about one hour from Salt Lake City (Population 200,000) and the area i live in has a population of about 6,000 i would probably bunker down in my house.

We have a large shop with enough tools to barricade the entire house with alot of lumber left over to do whatever we need to with it, We have 5 rifles, 3 shotguns and 3 handguns in our house with easily over 10,000 rounds of ammunition and enough food to last easily 6 months (People in Utah tend to stockpile food).

The nicest thing however is there is a Military Base five minutes from my house and the Armory is about 7 minutes from my house not saying i am going to raid the armory of course but i figure if i needed to i could find some overrun military roadblocks with needed supplies.

The only issue i could see would be later in the outbreak when zombies from Salt Lake City begin to leave the city in search for survivors, I would give myself an average of 6-12 months during a zombie apocalypse

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anchorage, Alaska.

Does the apocalypse hit in summer time, between May and August? No problem. Out in the woods, farm tomatoes, and survive on fish. Right? Alaska is so outdoors! You would have no problem surviving! Right, guys?

Nope. Wrong. Not with a limited skill set of an average me. Here's some stuff to think about.

Farming.

Summer temperature 70 degrees average. Farming? I currently have a mini farm in my backyard, a greenhouse I built 6 years ago. Every year I plant 20 tomato bushes in May around the 15th. I harvest about 200 tomatoes every summer.

In August.

What am I going to eat in May, June, and July? Also, if the water shuts off, I will rely on rain water or local rivers in the city. Which means an exciting trip throughout zombieland.

No, not realistic.

Fishing.

Yesterday I, in fact, went net fishing to Kenai. I brought home 14 reds (sockeye salmon) and 1 flounder. Over 2 days and 1 night of hard work. While a great plan in a video game, which exists in a sort of... paradise of plentiful rivers, in real life not so much. I have a subsistence permit to dipnet, being an Alaska resident, so I know what I'm talking about when it comes to fishing. If you don't believe it, look it up. But, the big salmon river runs, are limited to the months of June to October. Kings, pinks, reds, then silvers. All of these fishes run in multiple locations, which usually require driving. And we have limited gasoline in Zombieland. So chances are, you're migrating to one spot, taking that final drive to the place you hope will have fish, and that's pretty much your gas tank.

Now, say you picked Kenai beach, and say you fish day and night every day for the whole two months. You're the only guy fishing, so all the fish is yours. Awesome! You can eat the fresh catch of the day, but you have to think of the future, because the run will end. You decide to catch more fish. But since you don't have a freezer, or ice, all those large amounts are useless to you, unless you smoke it, dry it, and package it. So let's assume you do all that. You hardly sleep, you fish through the tides, gut it, clean it, and dry it right there in your seaside camp, while fending off whatever zombies stride in. You are a fisherman full time. When you're not catching, you're processing, and when you're not processing, you're catching. At maximum, you've covered yourself for the next three to four months. But you got three months to live. You still have to survive the winter, when it doesn't run.

Then you are down to rivers and winter fishing. Not something I can comment on, as I have no skill at it, having never done it.
The good news there is it's cold outside, so you can store fish as is, no freezer needed. So whatever you catch, won't rot and get worms.

Hunting.

Hunting is viable in summer and winter, but it will present its own challenges. Your best game will be moose and elk, but chances are, many winter days you will have to spend eating your reserves of fish and tomatoes or having to eat squirrel and fox. Hunting is labor intensive, and can be car dependent.

I will admit it before anyone else says it, I am not that guy who can tirelessly walk the forests without being lost in pursuit of wild game. In PZ I play that guy, the forest ranger, but in reality, I'm just not that guy. Not saying I couldn't become one, but I've never once flayed a moose. So that's something I will have to learn to do.

Transportation.

You run out of gas, plenty of other cars to steal, right? Sure, if you know how to hot wire them. Unless you want to take your chances finding the right zombie who has the keys to each particular car. So, hot wiring cars - your most useful skill. Learn it.

The Plan.

This brings me to my actual plan. Well folks, hate to disappoint you, but as a true Alaskan, I will.... stay the heck in town! :D

Go to my friend's house, he has a room full of rifles and ammo enough to last through WW3. If he is a survivor, yaaay! Join forces. If he's a zed, my .454 Casull will do the job. With renewed supplies, I'm going straight for the air force base and looting all the automatic weapons I need.

After that, I'm barricading in Costco, and once that depletes, any other convenience store I can find. Because summer or winter, the chips, pretzels, and soda will last you a long time. All the hunting and fishing supplies to last me a lifetime can be found in most big stores. I will fish / hunt / garden in the summer, and live off of store supplies in the winter.

Power and water going out can be a real death sentence, but not if you're in a supermarket full of water bottles.

:D

Lots of really well-thought out plans here! As the survival game enthusiasts I'm sure you all are, I would not expect any less.

Oh, My plan?

I live the in the peaceful suburbs of New Jersey. 30 minute drive (give or take) to NYC on a normal day. Should be easy to get out of town, but I would not know where else to go. Really depends on the situation at hand. I would stay with my family and hold up as best as we could in one of our houses; my house or my cousin's house in a neighboring town. I have a lot of camping supplies in my basement, so we're definitely make use of that. I also live somewhat close to an armory, so the military should be deployed pretty easily after the first signs of danger. May be a good thing or bad thing. Hopefully it is a good thing!

Other than that, how we survive really depends on the situation; where is the disease spreading from, what are the characteristics of the disease, whether its better to stay put or be on the move, etc.

I play zombie/wilderness survival games, and I watch zombie movies and survival shows. I doubt any of this will actually help my odds. Haha. I do have a survival guide though, so that might help.

Well since I am a diabetic that requires insulin I am pretty much screwed in both the short term and long term...

No matter how lucky I am I will eventually run out of insulin and since I am not a total jerk I would probably give other diabetics insulin too instead of hoarding it til it expires or I run out.

However seeing as there are tons of pharmacies/stores with pharmacies in them I could probably find enough insulin to survive till it all started expiring.  Then I'm pretty much dead even without the zombie risk...

I live near enough to several hardware stores the one in town probably would have all that would be needed and a lumber/hardware store is just out of town... Mainly if you had a few people the area I live in could probably supply us with stuff to last for years and other than me with the lack of places to get insulin and the expiring insulin problems. Seriously why are the places that make insulin so far south! (All insulin I have ever gotten has been made in the southern states... This is sad T_T...)

Man requiring life sustaining medication of any kind sucks...

(Question: One would think that more people would loot pharmacies as there are plenty of medications in them that could be traded for stuff... and there are enough junkies that would be after painkillers if they thought they could get away with it...)

See, the reason why most Z-Apoc scenarios, stories, games are all so fun is because they all carry the ultimate flaw. They skip past the really scary part. They don't explain the beginnings. You are just sort of thrown into this magical world of total freedom, where everything is free, and you can break down doors and take what you need. No police, no authority, everyone in power, like bosses, military, government - are all conveniently zombified and are a non factor.

The sad reality is, most of us would not survive as free people the first two weeks after the outbreak.

If you happen by luck to live outside the quarantine zone, you lucked out. If you're in the quarantine zone, you're left to die.

Three works of fiction: World War Z, I am Legend, and The Last of Us - give you a more or less good idea on what we could expect.

The fact that all of us who have families with small children, will pretty much either become slaves or be forced to starve and die off, because the value of human rights will be nullified makes this fantasy pretty grim. Very few of us will get to live through past the chaos. The government will seize all rivers, all parks, all livable forests, and probably send patrols to hunt down potentially infected survivors who didn't even turn yet, if the disease is airborne, which is really the only way it can spread so quickly beyond suppression.

Government will shut down law and switch to simple enforcement. They will seize all the supermarkets and post armed guards. And chances are, they will force all clean citizens to work as slaves, since economy will collapse. As part of that, they will take steps to minimize the chaos, which means, minimize unregistered looters. This can be done quickly. The stores are shut down, closed to public. Everyone in the supermarket is told to get in the car, go home and grab all food from their fridge and bring it in before 5 P.M. Anyone not back by 5 will be shot upon entry. Guarantee you, most people will follow instructions and do everything they have to, to be allowed to reside in the stores.

You think you can survive in some forest in a tent? The moment you try to go get water, unless you collect rain, you will have to cross guarded territory, because I bet they will post deployments at every lake, river, pond or coastline. It will be a manhunt.

You start taking out soldiers, they will come in and gas the forest. I mean beyond that, they have the air force, they can just bomb it and be done with it.

The scariest fight will be against our own law enforcement, who will take every advantage to return the citizens back into position of free workforce. So, a civil war of massive proportions is highly likely. Raids, searches, constant examinations.

Unless you manage to survive alone and outlast the government structures, with their superior medicine and isolation methods and super-labs and gas masks, I don't think you will actually see the world like it is in Zombieland or PZ.

With this in mind, being a husband and a father of a 2 year old son, my actual realistic plan is to hope and pray that my house is within the "clean zone" protected by the military, and follow whatever orders the man in the uniform gives.

@Narnobie111... I would see you there because that is exactly where I'd head. The castle at the top would provide excellent shelter and defense. The only issue is that Quinnipiac university is right frigging there so you'd have to be prepared for a small area with a high concentration of A) panic-stricken college students or B) a large horde of infected

The first thing most people are going to do is try to flee. Everyone has this misconception that out in the hills/forests there aren't any people and that there is ample food everywhere. Good luck getting there. All the roads will be parking lots and trains wont be running for long. Not to mention the local inhabitants (who are probably better armed than you and know their local surroundings) not liking the idea of 'outsiders' showing up on the doorsteps.

My plan, since I live in a major metropolitan area, is to 'Anne Frank' it for awhile. I live almost on top of a hill in a house that is surrounded by fences. Not impervious, but it is relatively easy to defend. The key will be making no reason for any zombies or looters to come a knocking. I have a well ventilated attic with a ceiling drop door/ladder. No zombie will get up there, and will be very easy to defend against brigands/looters. I have enough stored oats, rice, and water on hand to last my wife and dog for about 2 months (I should invest in more). We also have common gauge firearms. 12 gauge shotguns and .22 caliber pistols/rifles. By that time most of the people will be zombies, or have died off from starvation. Hell you don't even need zombies. If you just kill the electricity the majority of the population in the United States will be dead within a few short months. I will then take our motorcycles (we have aggressive sport enduro bikes) to my airport where I work as a pilot. Airports have a pretty good defensive posture already. All should have fences surrounding them already and they usually have very good line of sight around them. I know how to start most General Aviation aircraft without a key and will be airborne above everything and heading North to as desolate a location as possible. I live within range of a GA aircraft to some very very rural areas of Canada. The problem will be food, fuel, and the climate once I get there. Life will be hard, very hard. The good news is that GA fuel (100LL) is one of the most stable fuel types around. It can last (if stored properly) for almost 8 years. Regular automotive gas is good for at best 6 months to a year.

http://www.empcommission.org/docs/empc_exec_rpt.pdf This is a report commissioned by the United States to study the dangers of an EMP strike on the US. Essentially if we turn off the electricity we will be back in the 19th century. The technology of the 19th century can NOT support our current population levels even if it was working at peak efficiency. Without ample work animals, skilled labor on out-dated technology, and communication; it will not be working at peak efficiency. There will be massive deaths due to starvation. Good luck harvesting, let alone transporting all the food from the United States 'breadbasket'. Most of it will just rot in the fields. The population will drop to a point where the technology can support the level of population. That's not even discussing the massive deaths there would be to the elderly, the diabetics, the people with asthma, heart conditions, etc because of the lack of readily available medication. Throw in the lack of medication for all the mental disorders and we'd have nutcases running around unchecked. Point is; shit is going to be real bad, really really bad, real quick. We don't even need zombies.

Everyone should have a few months of properly stored grains and water in there homes regardless of the fictional zombie threat. Solar flares, EMP's, viral outbreaks, war, hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, and tornadoes are all more realistic threats that will ruin your life and the lives of your loved ones. Consider some basic survival items as an insurance policy. Odds are you you'll never need to use them, but just like your car insurance, you have it just in case you need it. You just hope you never have to...

Well I cant seem to delete the double post from my phone...so insead Ill chuck a quick overview of my plan here.

Take my children and my wife and head inland. Once I find a safe place for them Id start doing loot runs by myself for anything we are lacking.

Food, solar panels, medicines and weapons, in that order dictated by opportunity.

See, the reason why most Z-Apoc scenarios, stories, games are all so fun is because they all carry the ultimate flaw. They skip past the really scary part. They don't explain the beginnings. You are just sort of thrown into this magical world of total freedom, where everything is free, and you can break down doors and take what you need. No police, no authority, everyone in power, like bosses, military, government - are all conveniently zombified and are a non factor.

The sad reality is, most of us would not survive as free people the first two weeks after the outbreak.

If you happen by luck to live outside the quarantine zone, you lucked out. If you're in the quarantine zone, you're left to die.

Three works of fiction: World War Z, I am Legend, and The Last of Us - give you a more or less good idea on what we could expect.

The fact that all of us who have families with small children, will pretty much either become slaves or be forced to starve and die off, because the value of human rights will be nullified makes this fantasy pretty grim. Very few of us will get to live through past the chaos. The government will seize all rivers, all parks, all livable forests, and probably send patrols to hunt down potentially infected survivors who didn't even turn yet, if the disease is airborne, which is really the only way it can spread so quickly beyond suppression.

Government will shut down law and switch to simple enforcement. They will seize all the supermarkets and post armed guards. And chances are, they will force all clean citizens to work as slaves, since economy will collapse. As part of that, they will take steps to minimize the chaos, which means, minimize unregistered looters. This can be done quickly. The stores are shut down, closed to public. Everyone in the supermarket is told to get in the car, go home and grab all food from their fridge and bring it in before 5 P.M. Anyone not back by 5 will be shot upon entry. Guarantee you, most people will follow instructions and do everything they have to, to be allowed to reside in the stores.

You think you can survive in some forest in a tent? The moment you try to go get water, unless you collect rain, you will have to cross guarded territory, because I bet they will post deployments at every lake, river, pond or coastline. It will be a manhunt.

You start taking out soldiers, they will come in and gas the forest. I mean beyond that, they have the air force, they can just bomb it and be done with it.

The scariest fight will be against our own law enforcement, who will take every advantage to return the citizens back into position of free workforce. So, a civil war of massive proportions is highly likely. Raids, searches, constant examinations.

Unless you manage to survive alone and outlast the government structures, with their superior medicine and isolation methods and super-labs and gas masks, I don't think you will actually see the world like it is in Zombieland or PZ.

With this in mind, being a husband and a father of a 2 year old son, my actual realistic plan is to hope and pray that my house is within the "clean zone" protected by the military, and follow whatever orders the man in the uniform gives.

Ill start by saying Im a soldier, and a father of two boys aged 10 and 5. In a zombie outbreak the 'governemt' can go Eat A Big Bag of Di-err Doritos.

Im going to protect my children, not guard some water source and attack fellow Australians by some person's orders.

I cant see any of the people I work with doing that either. I guess Im saying that the idea any soldier who would stick around in an environment youre describing and support it is hardly human.

I actually would leave my city after 2-3 weeks, because the first days the outbreak will hit everybody will panic and only think of one thing : pack all the food you have and get out of the city right away, but for me it's not a good idea because the streets will probably be extremly crowded, there will obviously going to be plenty of zombies roaming the streets and let's not forget about those panicked folks with guns they could like shoot the hell out of the zombies and of course people with them, secondly the military will probably shoot the people that might be infected or even not cause the governement will not really care about us lambda citizens and thus they can't just let the virus spread out, so in my opinion the best plan is waiting around 2-3 weeks max. let the situation cool down and then get out of my apartement, maybe scavenge the rest of food and supplies if there will be left some (that i highly doubt will be) and either stay in the city as long as there are supplies (you might question yourself and say that i am crazy but if you know your city well enough you could survive pretty long by yourself) or manage to find my way out of the city and maybe stay in the suburbs or even further away.

Government will shut down law and switch to simple enforcement. They will seize all the supermarkets and post armed guards. And chances are, they will force all clean citizens to work as slaves, since economy will collapse. As part of that, they will take steps to minimize the chaos, which means, minimize unregistered looters. This can be done quickly. The stores are shut down, closed to public. Everyone in the supermarket is told to get in the car, go home and grab all food from their fridge and bring it in before 5 P.M. Anyone not back by 5 will be shot upon entry. Guarantee you, most people will follow instructions and do everything they have to, to be allowed to reside in the stores.

With this in mind, being a husband and a father of a 2 year old son, my actual realistic plan is to hope and pray that my house is within the "clean zone" protected by the military, and follow whatever orders the man in the uniform gives.

Ill start by saying Im a soldier, and a father of two boys aged 10 and 5. In a zombie outbreak the 'governemt' can go Eat A Big Bag of Di-err Doritos.

Im going to protect my children, not guard some water source and attack fellow Australians by some person's orders.

I cant see any of the people I work with doing that either. I guess Im saying that the idea any soldier who would stick around in an environment youre describing and support it is hardly human.

Serrate Bloodrage, you have it right!

The idea that there is going to be an all powerful government response is absurd. Anyone remember Hurricane Katrina or Sandy here in the US? Those were regional disasters in which the mighty United States government was woefully slow and unprepared to send aid immediately. There wasn't even a threat of zombies, just some looters.

Realistically, after the first day or two of losing a quarantine fight, the military would be riddled with deserters who are more concerned with their families and themselves. Serrate Bloodrage is a soldier and he said it right. Police and other public servants? Since they would be less centralized and under-equipped, they most likely will leave their posts before the military does. The national guard, the active military, public service employees; they would all crumble and run like the rest of us.

Once the leaders realize they are losing, they'll fall back and defend what they can. Most likely try to maintain and defend a few strategic resources, or some high ranking officials, not the general populace. This is assuming they even have an army at this point.

The only way the government would be able to stop something like a zombie outbreak is if they responded immediately and were able to quarantine the infected zone completely. With their past record, I doubt that would happen. After all we are extremely effective at securing our borders (sarcasm)... Anyone watch the news lately on how tens of thousands of children can sneak past our patrols and surveillance? Unassisted children...

We can't watch everywhere and we can't control everywhere. If we could we wouldn't have issues at our borders, our wars in Afghanistan and Iraq would have ended quickly and not lasted over a decade. There wouldn't be an thriving black market drug trade in the US. It's just naive to think that with zombies running around we would somehow clamp down tighter and be more effective at it.

Everyone has to remember that the government and our military are just people like you and me. The government is not an all powerful place and force, it is comprised of citizens just like us. They are human with all the faults that all humans have. Sure there are some who put duty ahead of live and family, but most soldiers are just 'kids' trying to better their lives. In the face of a zombie apocalypse I really want to hope they'd stay at their posts and follow orders, but you have to be realistic and realize that they are humans just like us.

What we need is a robotic army! Terminator anyone? Trade one apocalypse for another...

Well my main base would probably be a store called Costco for at least a few months. Why? Because Costco is kinda like Walmart banged IKEA as they have everything in bulk order plus their own attached gas station. And unlike other stores which have switched to having more glass windows and walls, Costco has basically kept the high concrete walls with small windows at the top floor plans. And best of all they still use those huge steel roll down shields to block their entrances at closing time. Now of course everything fails eventually so this would only be temporary base but in this time you would have the tools and gas to create a kick-ass convoy to head out into the world. Also as a side note my group would be no larger then 10 if I could help it, this is because the more people you have the better chance to have someone screw it up for everyone. Basically I'd have 6 people stay at base at all time to work on defense while the other 4 would be looters. I'd also only have 4 looters because if it takes more then 4 people to get something it probably isn't worth the risk and time to get it.

I'm actually quite lucky with where I live. I live in a development off a highway in the middle of buttfuck nowhere, Florida. We're like 20 mins from the water driving, and my next door neighbor owns a boat. Low population and our development plus the one in back of us being essentially the only people filled areas means in a 10 mile radius we'd only have a couple zombies in total.

My family and my next door neighbor both have guns and ammo, enough to clear all that and then some, and my dad and neighbor are very proficent in firearms. I never fired a gun before but I'd have no problem learning in such a situation.

Houses by us are made of concrete, and we have storm shutters we can add to the windows. Steel + concrete = no zombies getting into our house unless we let them in stupidly. We have canned goods always stocked in the pantry for hurricanes, so months worth of pasta, canned foods, rice, and drinks sitting in ready, and can stock up more if we knew shit was hitting the fan.

We actually do grow a garden in our back yard, and so can continue to do that every spring. We would mainly just need to wall off our yards, and between my dad and my neighbor we have all the tools needed for building such a thing. There are plenty of wooded areas nearby too we can use for material. We also have a well and a generator too, and plenty of gas. Since we live off the highway if people do evacuate there should still be cars there to siphon more gas from too.

My one neighbor even has a small solar array at his house, mainly used to help run his pool, so we could always include him into our group and repurpose the solar panels to help power a freezer for preserving food longer.

There are also wild pigs and tons of wild birds around so we could technically hunt for meat too.

All in all I think for my situation the hardest part would be getting a wall up so we could properly farm, and then dealing with hordes that might wander by :P but as long as we're in our house I'm honestly not too worried due to how our house could withstand a cat 3 hurricane without any damage.

Sounds like a great place!   *goes there, kills BlackPaladin and sets up a base*   O_o

It is quite obvious that everyone here is imagining a zombie apocalypse. Ya know, lots of zombies shambling through the streets, and your desperate attempt to survive.

However, also obvious but often overlooked, how many people with these 'plans' would be first day newbies bitten right at the start?  Consider this if you will:

The only way zombies could take over would be for a lot of people to succumb quickly to the virus, and now wanna nosh on some harman steaks (Barhah!)  This would mean that a lot of people would need to get F'ed in a hurry.  So statistically, a lot of you folks, me included would have to fall somewhere into the initial wave.  If we didn't, then odds are the zombie overthrow of the earth wouldn't happen.  Isolated incidences, after all, would be thwarted quickly.

Kinda sucks when you think of it that way, eh?  Oh well, My fellow zombie brethren and myself will gladly devour you before you get too far into your survival check lists. ;)

It is quite obvious that everyone here is imagining a zombie apocalypse. Ya know, lots of zombies shambling through the streets, and your desperate attempt to survive.

However, also obvious but often overlooked, how many people with these 'plans' would be first day newbies bitten right at the start?  Consider this if you will:

The only way zombies could take over would be for a lot of people to succumb quickly to the virus, and now wanna nosh on some harman steaks (Barhah!)  This would mean that a lot of people would need to get F'ed in a hurry.  So statistically, a lot of you folks, me included would have to fall somewhere into the initial wave.  If we didn't, then odds are the zombie overthrow of the earth wouldn't happen.  Isolated incidences, after all, would be thwarted quickly.

Kinda sucks when you think of it that way, eh?  Oh well, My fellow zombie brethren and myself will gladly devour you before you get too far into your survival check lists. ;)

zombie-apocalypse-funny-blog-picture-how

@Narnobie111... I would see you there because that is exactly where I'd head. The castle at the top would provide excellent shelter and defense. The only issue is that Quinnipiac university is right frigging there so you'd have to be prepared for a small area with a high concentration of A) panic-stricken college students or B) a large horde of infected

Awesome! A lot of people might also try to hole up or loot Quinnipiac so there also might be extra noise. People going into the woods is also a problem too. They might kill,steal or drag zombies up with them. 

Step 1:

Whenever the newsreports or radio or whatever i don't watch or listen to tells us there's an outbreak of something unknown i know it's time to pick up arms!

By that i mean pick up my 2 decorative axes hanging on my wall that i've happily sharpened 2 years ago after i imported them from poland.

I will try to figure out who and what happens around me or around town, my town spans over about a 12 miles radius with 160.000 inhabitants, so if it strikes i will know soon enough.

If hell breaks loose, and ofcourse it will... i will pick up my sports bag and shoulder bag and fill it with whatever i might need in the short run, silverware for extra weapons, food, a few bottles of water and ofcourse SOCKS.

With preperations made, the long awaited revolution didn't come but i guess this kind of fun will happily satisfy my needs for the needed aggression build up from my previous bosses.

Step 2:

Go around town find people who are willing to fight alongside you, pick up weapons and form our own little town somewhere nearby and shut it off from unwanted people or "things".

I would tell everyone in my company to prepare for a few months of food stockpiles and the knowledge to survive in different situations.

People will be needed to distill water in the long run, hunt and track, grow crops and herd animals, fiddle with electronics, craft weapons or smith medieval weaponry and armour just to protect from biting and scratching, 

Step3:

The world has gone to hell, 

We will raid buildings for materials usefull in the long run, fuel, food, clothes, metal- basically everything our previous lives had, and taken for granted.

Barricade a large section of town, near the woods with people standing guard, let our numbers grow and monitor the growth and flow of our supplies.

Rebuild society in the best possible way and form alliances with surrounding settlements.

Step 1:

Whenever the newsreports or radio or whatever i don't watch or listen to tells us there's an outbreak of something unknown i know it's time to pick up arms!

By that i mean pick up my 2 decorative axes hanging on my wall that i've happily sharpened 2 years ago after i imported them from poland.

I will try to figure out who and what happens around me or around town, my town spans over about a 12 miles radius with 160.000 inhabitants, so if it strikes i will know soon enough.

If hell breaks loose, and ofcourse it will... i will pick up my sports bag and shoulder bag and fill it with whatever i might need in the short run, silverware for extra weapons, food, a few bottles of water and ofcourse SOCKS.

With preperations made, the long awaited revolution didn't come but i guess this kind of fun will happily satisfy my needs for the needed aggression build up from my previous bosses.

Step 2:

Go around town find people who are willing to fight alongside you, pick up weapons and form our own little town somewhere nearby and shut it off from unwanted people or "things".

I would tell everyone in my company to prepare for a few months of food stockpiles and the knowledge to survive in different situations.

People will be needed to distill water in the long run, hunt and track, grow crops and herd animals, fiddle with electronics, craft weapons or smith medieval weaponry and armour just to protect from biting and scratching, 

Step3:

The world has gone to hell, 

We will raid buildings for materials usefull in the long run, fuel, food, clothes, metal- basically everything our previous lives had, and taken for granted.

Barricade a large section of town, near the woods with people standing guard, let our numbers grow and monitor the growth and flow of our supplies.

Rebuild society in the best possible way and form alliances with surrounding settlements.

It would be hard to gather plenty of people because when the outbreak will hit people will panick and think in their own interest, like taking all the useful stuff they can find, possibly kill any person that stands toward them and escape the city (causing big problems in the streets) , and even if someone can gather plenty of good people remember one or two things : the best groups are made only of 4-7 people that you really trust because if you have a big group it's gonna be pretty much harder to lead them (if you are the leader) you are pretty much easier to spot, either by the living or the undead, food distribution will be really more complicated, and when people will begin to die there will have depresion in the group, people becoming crazy killing themselves or even kill other people with them so in my opinion the best groups are made of really close friends and maybe family (brother, sister) so you are not spotted easily, you can scavenge for food easily and there will be no problem with the distribution of medicine and food. oh and since the plague will hit there will probably have a blackout too, so me and you, lambda citizens will probably not be informed of this mess, and of course the governement will want us dead (means that military will not be our friends) because they can't let the plague spread out.

So much prejudice. Why do people think the military will be their enemy? Is there some phenomenon where soldiers suddenly become aggressive against their neighbours, friends and family once an apocalypse happens that I don't know about? Am I infected with this unreasoning need to attack my fellow countrymen if there is a societal breakdown? Have I been injected with mind controlling nanites? Will they deactivate them when I discharge in a month? or are they active for life?