If And When What Would Be Your Plan

Decay

Lol. It's obvious that some active duty soldiers (in professional armies) would desert, some would probably not. What would start happening would probably be that service personell (including police officers) would bring their families and friends to safer-than-average-"safe zones". National guard units (and international counterparts) would probably shine because of the locality. In my country of origin, many former active-duty soldiers join national security forces reserves. Weapons and equipment for these units exist close-by, and you'd probably start seeing a response a few hours after such an order has been received.

People (preppers) seem to completely disregard human capability for selflessness in military contexts. It's as ridiculous as that "Max Brooks" World War Z's episode "Battle of jonkers" where soldiers suddenly panics, you know, stress training is an integral part of modern day training. Human wave tactics stopped being effective a long time ago you know, and not just because of "shock and awe". In my very brief time in the army, we learned to shoot from a prone position with enough accuracy to hit three consecutive shots within approximately a nickel (from 50m) within a few hours of practice and shooting with iirc 3cm dispersion from 100m (well within "head" territory). So overrunning won't happen in that regard, even if transmission is airborne.

At the same time soldiers are people, and most wouldn't abide by totalitarian measures (that are too extreme), and would most likely simply not enforce it. Quite the opposite, there are incentive for some to stay and protect their country/home through their service, seriously, how do you think wars have been thought throughout the years? There's always been risk, and hurt to family and friends during wartime. Thinking that everyone would so quickly desert is just misleading. And even in those cases, plenty (if not almost everyone) would join up with local national security forces on site anyway (where applicable). 

P.S. Like Serrates says, how do you think militaries work? Seriously guys? You think the training and uniform makes you a mindless drone with no issues at all with killing fellow citizens on a whim? :D.

And this is why general conscription isn't the worst idea in the world, since people actually get an insight into reality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wish the rest of the military was as pure as Serrate and some selective others.

If all soldiers had a sense of morality, nobody would agree to go into the pointless bloodbath sandbox they call Iraq.

The government would simply trick the soldiers into thinking of their own citizens as infected terrorists, conspirators, or freaks trying to hurt the good old god-blessed 'merica and the families and our healthy children. All the government needs to do is to define the enemy in some form acceptable to a soldier's mind. They'll brief them and make them believe in their cause.

I mean, look, look. 9/11, right? Discussion of conspiracy theories is taboo, all average americans believe in these totally invisible terrorists, and anyone who says otherwise is a traitor and anti-patriot. The same thing will happen with zombies. Suddenly they'll be linked to al-qaeda somehow or some other new fear. It's how politics work. Nobody argues with values that have been made holy and sacred by the ruling top.

Some soldier will die to a zombified survivor, and suddenly they will all be labelled enemies. And if you don't hate the potentially infected, then you must not be feeling grief for the dead soldier! How dare you, he was a good man! Yes, yes! We all hate the infected!

Also, when you have your commanding officer's orders on one hand, and the safety and security of your own wife and children on the other, are you really going to quit and risk bad things happening to them?

I mean literally, if soldiers really truly cared, would we have any business going to war within the last 30 years?

We can only HOPE that those who protect us will use their heads and their hearts and will execute conscious choice to not go against their citizens. But hey, if that was always true, there would never be civil wars, right?

I can see what you are saying Konrad. So a mental conditioning of not just the soldiers, but the populace in general. That way a soldier can't make a proper choice between a lawful order and an unlawful one due to political/social pressure.

I wont talk about the MEAO because it is largely misunderstood and the vehemence with which people defend their perception is outside what I like to talk about. However, in my opinion, wars will continue to happen as long as there is humans. In most countries, soldiers do not make the choice to go to war or not, however, we are employed to perform that task if we are called upon to do so, by the (elected?) government/ruler.

To me there is two reasons that wars happen and they are not mutually exclusive. The first is greed, plain and simple greed. The second is Revolutionary. To remove from power a ruler/ruling body which is persecuting it's people.

Now you might say that fear has caused some wars, however I believe this still falls into the greed category. A perception of someone having an advantage and desiring that advantage for oneself, or at the very least, destroy the advantage so that one may advance beyond the other.

Remember though, KISS (Keep it simple, stupid) The more complex your plan, the more chance it can/will fail.

Apologies in advance to grammar Nazis, it's midnight here. I'm very ready for sleep. I'm sure you will happily correct any spelling errors in your own time.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure, probably cry in a corner because i hate pain and have pets.

If not that, i would probably grab my baseball, knife, backpack, matches and other stuff, then realize im screwed anyway because i live in a very populated street, in a very populated city, with small streets and roads...

Edited by Pankila

Not sure, probably cry in a corner because i hate pain and have pets.

If not that, i would probly grab my baseball, knife, backpack, matches and other stuff, then realize im screwed anyway because i live in a very populated street, in a very populated city, with small streets and roads...

atleast you kept your plan simple :)

There is a castle not too far from where I live, nice big safe walls, woodland for game. As long as we can get there we'd be fine :)

THERE IS A CASTLE!!!

I can't imagine a better way to respond to an apokalypse than sitting on a throne

In my case.. hm.. I think I'd pick the best weapon I own, my ski and... no seriously first thing I would do is google "is the zombie apokalypse real?ßßß". I am a nerd and I know it.

Next thing I would do is writing a letter to Indie stone, telling them their game is bugged. You cant open windows from the outside!

Last but not least, I'd emigrate to France. I always wanted to hear french zombies and their landscape is pretty awesome.

Sea and coast would be best imo.   Put soil on top of a container ship and farm.      Shipping containers themselves would make an excellent and easily constructed instant wall around a large area.   Stack them two high and that's a very hard thing to get over.     So large dock areas would be valuable for several reasons.

That said,  I don't believe in zombie apocalypses.   lol.

1. Grab my most important gear for survival. 1. Buck Knife, Machete, Claymore, Crowbar. 2. Clothing obviously bring as little as possible but 2-3 days worth that can be washed. (Most important is jacket and boots - boots wont run down as easily and lightweight and jacket for cold/rain) 3. Hydration pouches ftw, Katine, and extra water with non-perishable food only enough to last me 1-2 weeks till I need to find more. 4. Anything else like medicine, and extra tools. In total it would all fit in my military ruck, and wouldn't be to heavy for myself to carry being 6'1 207 pounds.

Plan: I live in the mountains in VA. My population in my town is 10,000 max. I know for a fact some people would go bandit day 1 and since this is the mountains...(lots of rednecks with guns). I would try to stay out of sight until found, I don't know exactly where I would go but the mountains itself wouldn't be to bad. (Not all rednecks are bad btw. ;))

If I couldn't do the mountains I would probably find a less dense area with houses buildings etc and stay around there. Only problem is that eventually I will have to keep on the move. As I live in an urban area.

My whole plan isn't that smart and lots of problems come with it, but surviving wouldn't be tough since I have been trained for it. Only problem would be biters and disease.

Which is why I would have plenty of melee until I could find some guns, guns is a must and only a last stand if truly needed or to go scavenge to get training and learn how to use them properly and more efficiently. 

As for people I wouldn't be able to trust many folks around here, maybe if I ran into some of the people I see everyday but not besides that. I wouldn't be killing but I sure would be paranoid as shit.

If anyone I would try to get to my friends whom we've all discussed if something like this happened what we would do, meet up.

Only problem...4 hours away and goodluck trying to get to them on  I - 81. That's the path id have to take and it would be as packed as it is 24/7.

So many problems, so little time, don't know how long id make it but id fight and survive till I die.

As one post above from user: Equilibriu_Wolfe the picture is 100% true.

Bottom Line:

Right equipment, Survival tactics, and luck...mostly luck would play in this.

Not to even mention military if they were to just bomb everything or have hazmat guys running around killing.

Who knows.... 8-)

I live in a small farming community of about 700.  Most of the people I know in town have multiple guns, enough to hold off for quite a while any banditry or zombies that come around. I myself currently hoard foor and water enough myself for at least a year.  There are many people in town and a very large greenhouse.  I think the town as a whole would be pretty good for a while.

Survivor tip of the day....  If you go to a Walmart of Petco, anywhere that sells fish supplies there are antibiotcs there for the fish that work just effectively on humans.  Just read the expiration date.

Linky

I'll be completely safe during the Zed Apoc; I live in Adelaide, which everyone forgets exists, so the zombies won't even know we're there :P

BSF, I'd head up to catch up with the family in Burra ("where? :huh: " says everyone in confusion) where there's farmland pretty much as far as the eye can see and then some. Plus the locals up there have LOTS of shotguns, and home ownership of firearms is pretty rare in the Aussie cities, so reckon I'm safe 8-)