The Problem

The map of Project Zomboid if completely flat. There are no variations in land formation.

How Can the Game Improve in Respect to this Problem?

• Adding varied terrain to certain parts of the map.
  • The cities and suburban areas of the map can be flat, but the planned outer map exensions and some of the existing map should have some kind of land variation.
  • Hills, ditches, cliffs, etc.

Does it Make Sense for the Game?

I don't know too much about the land of Kentucky, but I assume it is not completely flat. Adding some variation to the land will bring the map to life.

Is it worth the time and effort to develop?

Probably not yet, but might as well start thinking about new types of land formations before the map is complete and finished, am I right?

A problem I foresee with this feature, however, is that some terrain would have to become transparent in order for you to see your character. For instance, when your character moves behind a hill, the isomeric camera angle would cause you to loose sight of your character, so the hill would have to become transparent. This might be tricky to do seamlessly, but it has been done before by other third person games.

We had a couple of topics like this before. Hills and and ditches might come if the devs start the iso-revolution, say, turn the game into 3D.

This could make this and many other things possible, but was intended to improve the performance, because it is easier for computers to run 3D graphics instead of 2D graphics. However, right now, there are no performance issues, so other things, like NPCs and new graphics have priority.

Correct me if I'm wrong or left something out.

I'll just quote myself since it's on a similar topic and the answer is the same:

Here's a quote from an older Mondoid last year. The priorities in this have most likely changed since the 1.0 declaration, but it would seem something they'd like to do:

Have you planned on what will be your next larger endeavour after NPCs and the 3D stuff is in? Or in other words, do you have somewhat a linear plan on what you will be doing in the more distant future, or is it a scramble? (Suomiboi)

TIS: We’ve obviously got a lot of plans to add new items, weapons, map additions and gameplay mechanics as we go, and we do not tend to plan for these but rather tackle things as seems an appropriate time, or if the community repeatedly requests them. The next major milestones in the game after NPCs and the new 3D engine are in, however, run as follows.
(Probably in order, and nothing set in stone).

-snip-

Wilderness 2.0 – Proper trees, with canopies, river banks, hills and sloped terrain. As we add more survivalist features to the game we want to make the wilderness truly interesting and diverse.

-snip-

Would a 2D-iso to 3D-iso revolution be a complete overhaul to the map and/or the game itself?

No. Or at least it shouldn't. If it would be, it would mean a few years worth of work on the map gone with the wind... And I don't think if it'd be so, the that the team would go through with it. :???:

There are already some 3D additions such as the characters so the engine is there, but it's just not used in all parts.

Would a 2D-iso to 3D-iso revolution be a complete overhaul to the map and/or the game itself?

No. Or at least it shouldn't. If it would be, it would mean a few years worth of work on the map gone with the wind... And I don't think if it'd be so, the that the team would go through with it. :???:

There are already some 3D additions such as the characters so the engine is there, but it's just not used in all parts.

If i remember correctly, the maps would still be made the same way. The game engine would then "translate" every 2D object into 3D... Or something like that.

"A problem I foresee with this feature, however, is that some terrain would have to become transparent in order for you to see your character. For instance, when your character moves behind a hill, the isomeric camera angle would cause you to loose sight of your character, so the hill would have to become transparent. This might be tricky to do seamlessly, but it has been done before by other third person games."

Couldn't they do the same thing that they do with fences and walls?