Champagne, trains and automobiles

AlphaArBar

So I've been watching these forums closely for a long time now and never felt like I needed to comment. I was always happy to read what others suggested for the game. But recently with the news of things to come, be it far or near have made me want to make a suggestion.

So here is what I was thinking. Wouldn't it be cool if the track had some sort of use. A train that allowed quick but noisy transport up and down the track. With news of the city map expansion in the works, I think it would be something interesting to look into. Considering the map will double in size. Instead of having anyone able to operate the train maybe you could start off with a profession or find a rare instruction manual. I know the devs want to make the game realistic (which I think is awesome, too many arcade shoot em' ups out there) but there would have to be some way for players to acquire the knowledge to operate the train to make the game balanced. I haven't really thought about it too to much but I thought it would be a cool idea to throw out there.

Secondly about cars. It's just a suggestion about the placement of cars more so than anything. What I would like to see is the highway densely populated with cars and maybe less, but still many in urban areas. While suburban areas would be less populated with cars. I'd imagine in a zombie apocalypse everyone would be trying to escape in a frantic hurry all at once and highways would become congested while the suburbs would be more or less evacuated or clear of cars.

Thirdly and lastly. I couldn't find a word that rhymed with planes for a more clever title for the thread and then I thought, why not add some fancy champagne to the game. No better way to get drunk in a zombie apocalypse than some classy champagne. Add a little more variety to the games alcohol and another role play aspect for the players. Something small but it would be cool to pop a bottle of the stuff with your group after clearing out the town of zeds or whatever the occasion.

So I'm not sure. I'd like to hear what you guys think of my suggestions. Like I said, my main suggestion is the addition of a train to the game. I personally think it would be cool. But I'd like to hear what others have to say on the suggestions.

Ooohh, if the train needed at least 4 full cans of gas (20 lbs of gas) and your character had to find a very rare, only spawns at one random point in the map, manual or something... I could see this being a very rare nearly endgame thing which you could use as a portable safehouse almost... 

This could be a huge thing, if the inside of the train was a mini house with a tent and stuff... 

+1 for this idea, has just about endless possibilities if it's done right! 

Actually, I never thought of a fuel source for it. Completely slipped my mind. I can't even suggest a fuel amount because I know nothing about trains. Honestly I just assumed that most trains nowadays were electric. Maybe the addition of a train maintenance yard where you could refill at. Or maybe at each station there could be a refill point. Kind of like trains many years ago.

As I recall, Diesel is the go-to fuel source for trains in most of America. And yes, they take immense amounts of fuel.

I'm also not sure how I feel about having people driving them. There's a reason the job title is engineer- it's not as simple as pressing a switch and having it go. While, yes, there are people who are engineers, it's probably not that common. As per the Rathlord Rule of Priorities, I'd only like to see this added as a job if every other job that's more common (and would add something to gameplay) were implemented first.

On the whole, though, a good suggestion; just not sure I'm on board with it.

I understand. I doubt I'd be able to operate a train after simply reading a manual but I just like the idea of having a huge noisy powerhouse mowing down every zombie that steps on my tracks. But yeah, I'd love to see it implemented. Not in the hear future obviously, there's much more pressing and important matters than a train house. But I think it would be something nice to have there.

Also, loved the pun in your very last sentence. On board, tee hee. Made me giggle.

What about coal trains?  Also a lot of trains now run on electricity I believe.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not have a really old steam engine of a train stashed away somewhere. I doubt we will have access to alot of coal in the game, but you could clear a small forrest to power the train.

Fuel problem solved, but there is one issue ... maybe two.

If Rathlord thinks its tricky to drive a Diesel or Electric train, a Steam Engine is a whole new ball game. The way I understand it, its a constant ballancing act of fuel, heat and steam pressure to keep the train running and ideally not blowing up. In other words a little more knowhow than a manual could provide. Well it would have to be an extremly comprehensive manual.

Also you will need in (PZ terms) a small ocean of water to run the train, much more than your rain collecters could provide.

But yeah maybe as people said, it could work as an endgame thing. Once you have a small Forrest of wood & a small Ocean of water & got every relevant skill to level 5, maybe then you could have a go.

Maybe you could find a manual or print-out of some sort to teach you to operate the train. Maybe a super rare find though. With several players or NPCs you could operate the train. After you have read it and managed to get enough gas for the train it could then be up and running. Would be a nice little add-on to see after the NPCs and everything else is finished.

Or maybe we could sacrifice a little bit of realism and have it a non coal fuled train.

What about coal trains?  Also a lot of trains now run on electricity I believe.

I was thinking the same thing. Why not have a really old steam engine of a train stashed away somewhere. I doubt we will have access to alot of coal in the game, but you could clear a small forrest to power the train.

Fuel problem solved, but there is one issue ... maybe two.

If Rathlord thinks its tricky to drive a Diesel or Electric train, a Steam Engine is a whole new ball game. The way I understand it, its a constant ballancing act of fuel, heat and steam pressure to keep the train running and ideally not blowing up. In other words a little more knowhow than a manual could provide. Well it would have to be an extremly comprehensive manual.

Also you will need in (PZ terms) a small ocean of water to run the train, much more than your rain collecters could provide.

But yeah maybe as people said, it could work as an endgame thing. Once you have a small Forrest of wood & a small Ocean of water & got every relevant skill to level 5, maybe then you could have a go.

There is actually a small ocean to the north of the map if I remember correctly

• 2 months later...

How about one of those manual/ man powered rail things. It has like a see-saw pivot in the middle. No gas or need to learn anything, slower than a train but faster than walking. And as for real trains, most modern trains use 2 motors/generators to operate. A Diesel generator to power a electic motor, the electric motor creates the mechanical force used to make the train move.

How about one of those manual/ man powered rail things. It has like a see-saw pivot in the middle. No gas or need to learn anything, slower than a train but faster than walking. And as for real trains, most modern trains use 2 motors/generators to operate. A Diesel generator to power a electic motor, the electric motor creates the mechanical force used to make the train move.

I've never seen one of these in real life- have you? Had about 4 train tracks I crossed each day for work for several years, and was right by the train depot. I don't think these have actually been seen except in museums in quite a long time, though I could be mistaken. 

I've never seen one of these in real life- have you? Had about 4 train tracks I crossed each day for work for several years, and was right by the train depot. I don't think these have actually been seen except in museums in quite a long time, though I could be mistaken. 

Not in action or anything, just a set piece for an old west town and in a museum.

Not in action or anything, just a set piece for an old west town and in a museum.

I've used one myself (hand operated), and actually that's the only one I've seen in my life :P I don't know about how common they are in the US, though. However, Muldraugh has a nice and big trainyard which now is almost empty. Maybe there is a chance that one of those could be sitting there somewhere in the future?

I've used one myself (hand operated), and actually that's the only one I've seen in my life :P I don't know about how common they are in the US, though. However, Muldraugh has a nice and big trainyard which now is almost empty. Maybe there is a chance that one of those could be sitting there somewhere in the future?

Thats interesting it would be fun to use one of those things. I read your other link didn't know what they where called, thanks for sharing.