I have not heard much details on the upcoming addition of vehicles to Project Zomboid, so I just wanted to get some clarification.

When "vehicles" make their way into the game, will that just exclusively include cars, or should we expect a variety of different vehicles.

From engine-powered vehicles such as cars, trucks, motorcycles, mopeds, etc.

To quieter, man-propelled vehicles such as bicycles, skateboards, etc.

If so, would we see a large variety of vehicles on Day 1 of vehicle implementation, or will they be released few by few over time.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not heard much details on the upcoming addition of vehicles to Project Zomboid, so I just wanted to get some clarification.

When "vehicles" make their way into the game, will that just exclusively include cars, or should we expect a variety of different vehicles.

If so, would we see a large variety of vehicles on Day 1 of vehicle implementation, or will they be released few by few over time.

In many ways PZ is going for an approximation of authenticity. By which I mean they're trying to make it as real as possible for what they think the zombie apocalypse is. In that regard I'd expect a mixture of many vehicles you'd expect to find in Kentucky normally.

That all said, there are many things that would be given a higher priority. I think cars are fairly important (they certainly appears in a Mondoid post suggesting they're important) but I don't think the other vehicles are quiet as much. I would expect to see them in game but I wouldn't any time soon.

You've not heard much details because there are no released details about this stuff. We'll find out in the future.

In many ways PZ is going for an approximation of authenticity. By which I mean they're trying to make it as real as possible for what they think the zombie apocalypse is. In that regard I'd expect a mixture of many vehicles you'd expect to find in Kentucky normally.

That all said, there are many things that would be given a higher priority. I think cars are fairly important (they certainly appears in a Mondoid post suggesting they're important) but I don't think the other vehicles are quiet as much. I would expect to see them in game but I wouldn't any time soon.

I think now that PZ has started gaining more traction and has begun gaining more popularity, they're starting to lean towards working on more demanded features, such as vehicles. While personally I don't really like this new form of development, it is entirely logical in that it's what you do to keep the audience happy. I'm still a little disappointed that MP saw the light of day far, far before NPCs, but I also understand that certain features are easier and quicker to develop, especially if they want more players.  

So I wouldn't be surprised to see vehicles in the near future. That said, I do hope they keep them as the potential deathtraps that they should be. A motor should attract zeds from nearby blocks, while if you become surrounded by zombies certain vehicles would get bogged down. Additionally, one might find it difficult to open a door with a zed grasping it. 

<snip>

I think now that PZ has started gaining more traction and has begun gaining more popularity, they're starting to lean towards working on more demanded features, such as vehicles. While personally I don't really like this new form of development, it is entirely logical in that it's what you do to keep the audience happy. I'm still a little disappointed that MP saw the light of day far, far before NPCs, but I also understand that certain features are easier and quicker to develop, especially if they want more players.  

So I wouldn't be surprised to see vehicles in the near future. That said, I do hope they keep them as the potential deathtraps that they should be. A motor should attract zeds from nearby blocks, while if you become surrounded by zombies certain vehicles would get bogged down. Additionally, one might find it difficult to open a door with a zed grasping it. 

I think Steam has changed the way the game is developed. Like it or loath it though the game doesn't belong to us. They can develop it how they please. They chose to go their own path while listening to their community. A system that seems to work well.

I haven't exhibited the perfect manners or patience on this forum and my opinions have still been considered. I'm more than happy with that, I just don't want to be ignored.

Sound is something that has changed quite a bit. I've seen more Z's move around with loud noise than before. Gunshots should bring zombies from miles around although (in my opinion) they don't yet. Cars like a large 'gas-guzzler' should bring Z's from a few streets away.

Also, in another thread, it was mentioned that the streets would be derelict with abandoned cars and the motorway should be absolutely packed with abandoned cars. Cars will be extremely useful but also a massively liability.

Edited by Strider

I would like to see a car, truck, and a van or jeep with varying colors not models. I mean that's not too much to ask.

Once you start adding in models, then people might complain on why there's not enough models. It would give a nice variance without totally shooting for absolute realism, which you can't always do all the time. 

As far as it goes i would say they will add 1 type of car and a bicycle and maybe a motherbicycle cause is the same thing as the bicycle, but with fuel.

Later on they will start to add more i guess.

By the time the new map expansion comes out, they will up the demand of vehicles i suppost, right now hunting is the in thing.

(i want the kate and bob story first tho, i can dream right? )

(No i cant ;_;=)

I just think it's a waste of resources of the devs time. The late game is so boring at the moment. It's a ghost town on my world.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but seeing as the devs are already working on vehicles, you will have to live with the "waste".