Canning Essentials: An In-Depth Food Canning Mod v0.8 [90%]

Deadend

Nonetheless I'll probably make an alternative download that disables the game's default canning, and only allows you to can through the mod's mechanism, which is more challenging and interactive (this alternative download would cover everything the game already lets you can ofc).

This would be awesome, I'm all for this idea as I prefer canning with this mod over what PZ offers by default anytime.

Hmm, then perhaps I should finish this mod once and for all. I thought interest had been but lost. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
UPDATE:

Changelog v0.8:

- disabled the default canning feature that was recently implemented in the game (build 29 I believe?). i.e. the code I've added should stop the EmptyJar item from spawning in your game. Which is the core item to use any of the canning options that were implemented by the devs. So now you get to either go with the simplified version of canning that the devs have implemented or install this mod. Most of the canning options the game offered have now been integrated in this mod and those that are not will soon be making their way in along with many more options, so enjoy.

- added pickling; the easiest of all canning methods, heat the brine (salt, vinegar and water) then pour on jar with vegetables and seal, done. Begins to spoil after a week though. The only downside is that since they're not fermented and aren't water processed it requires a strong brine to last longer. Therefore its very salty and acidic, making you want a cup of water after you done eating a jar of this stuff.

- added pickled bell pepper as a canning option.

- added pickled raddish as a canning option. 

- added pickled carrots as a canning option.

- added pickled leek as a canning option. 

- added pickled cabbage as a canning option.

- added pickled brocolli as a canning option.

- added pickles (pickled cucumbers) as a canning option. 

- edited the base pickles food item that was already in-game to display as "cucumbers" and act more as any other food item that can expire and rot.

- Fixed rodent, bird, fish, and rabbit canning options not requiring water.

- rebalanced canned food bonuses, penalties, and hunger reduction. Now not all canning options are truly not the same. 

- rebalanced weights of all mod items to go along more with similar in-game item weights. Generally speaking, all mod items now weight much less. 

FINAL WORDS:

So the mod is pretty much complete, just have a few more canning options to add, but other than that my original plans for the mod are already implemented. The next update v0.9 should be making its way when Build 31 makes its way out of IWBUMS and is finally released as a stable build. V0.9 will just have a batch of new canning options and possibly some re-balancing tweaks. The final release of this mod will most likely come when Build 32 is released. That is because according to this article published by the devs, that build will implement a learned recipes mechanism. So I'm gonna have a hack at it and try to implement that into this mod so that there are a several books lying around with canning recipes for you to learn. Furthermore, I'll be making an attempt at a long play-through with the mod to thoroughly test it out and make any final balancing tweaks. And that is all, enjoy :D

Sad to see this mod starting to come to close but who knows maybe someone else may one day take over but I thank you good sir for deciding to finish it.

hmm, I thought anyone who uses this mod would take that as good news. version 1.0 will only mean that the mod finally gets out of WIP to complete status. That being said I'll probably still make updates if game updates ever break the mod (though I doubt it, since build 28 this mod has pretty much worked fine). In terms of content, the core mechanisms (pickling, water bath, pressure, open kettle) are all in place so adding more canning options is pretty straightforward (you don't even have to touch the messy lua code, just edit the item and recipe scripts for the most part). Anyone that can follow some instructions can do it. So If ever requested I won't mind writing up some quick instructions for people to make their additions (add-ons) to this mod for their own use or to share with any other uses of this mod. :D

spoiling after a week seems to short maybe 2 weeks to spoil.

I've been thinking about that lately, considering that pickling already has the thirst side effect it won't necessarily replace the open kettle method that gives you 2 weeks to spoil. I'll change it for the next build ;)

I'm very interested with the "cook up some brine" part.

Is this just changing the brine from uncooked to cooked?

Or is it using the heat source to change the basic materials into brine (a new item)?

If it is the latter, would you like to share the codes? That will be really appreciate.

Or is it using the heat source to change the basic materials into brine (a new item)?

If it is the latter, would you like to share the codes? That will be really appreciate.

It's taking some ingredients (that is, Canning Salt, Vinegar, Pickling Spice, Water and Cooking Pot) and making it into brine (a new item). By its technicality brine is just a mix of salt, vinegar, and water used for pickling. When you cook it (in real life) it just makes sure its all well mixed. 

In the mod, if you have all the ingredients for making brine you'll have an uncooked pot of it. You'll need to cook it (from uncooked to cooked) to be able to use it for pickling.

The brine making portion of the mod is rather simple, it just deals with the item and recipe scripts (Doesn't go into lua). Feel free to dive into the mod's code and learn from it. More specifically look at the items script (txt) file and the recipes script (txt) file. Ctrl + F to search for brine.

Hope that helps / answers your question.

It's taking some ingredients (that is, Canning Salt, Vinegar, Pickling Spice, Water and Cooking Pot) and making it into brine (a new item). By its technicality brine is just a mix of salt, vinegar, and water used for pickling. When you cook it (in real life) it just makes sure its all well mixed.

In the mod, if you have all the ingredients for making brine you'll have an uncooked pot of it. You'll need to cook it (from uncooked to cooked) to be able to use it for pickling.

The brine making portion of the mod is rather simple, it just deals with the item and recipe scripts (Doesn't go into lua). Feel free to dive into the mod's code and learn from it. More specifically look at the items script (txt) file and the recipes script (txt) file. Ctrl + F to search for brine.

Hope that helps / answers your question.

thank you

Hi I'm having using version 0.8 on build 30.16 and I'm having trouble canning fish. it seems I can't get fish chunks from any fish only fish fillets. Even if I have A cooking pot and a kitchen knife in my inventory.

I don't know if this is a bug on my end but I was able to do so with the previous version of the mod.

Hi I'm having using version 0.8 on build 30.16 and I'm having trouble canning fish. it seems I can't get fish chunks from any fish only fish fillets. Even if I have A cooking pot and a kitchen knife in my inventory.

I don't know if this is a bug on my end but I was able to do so with the previous version of the mod.

Hey there,

I just ran the game with the mod to check this and I had no issue getting fish chunks from something other than fish fillets. Keep in mind that besides the fish you need a kitchen or hunting knife, cooking pot, water (in a seperate container), and canning salt.

Try completely deleting the mod folder, re-downloading it, and unzipping it back into the Mods folder. 

Hope that helps, let me know if you still have issues.

I have one other question is there a way to get this mod to work in multiplayer?

I'm not entirely sure how mods work in multiplayer. Last I remember for a mod to work in multiplayer every player had to have the mod installed. If its not working out like that then it seems it would require some additional functionality.

Hello! I am trying first time this mode. I tried to make Pickled Cabbages, but for some reason I don't have option to create it!

I have in my inventory: Fresh Cooked Brine, Glass Quart Jar, Jar Lid, 8 Cabbages. I tried to click on each item, but nothing happens 

• 1 year later...

Hey, very cool mod. But it seems to be broken in the newer builds, unfortunately. The option to "jar" stuff after cooking it, like brine + vegetables and strawberry mush, doesn't appear as on option in the context menu, even when all the right items are in your inventory. I'm on build 33.2. I hope you'll get around to updating this someday. For now I just have to muddle by using the vanilla canning feature and Necroforge to spawn the empty jars and jar lids since they are too hard to find in the game right now. :(