Graphically Represented Seasonal Changes [Improved Weather System]

GeneralRambler

The Problem

Seasons and changes in weather patterns in Project Zomboid are currently only noticeable by the player feeling either hot or cold. During the summer/hotter months the player feels hot. During the winter/colder months, the player feels cold. However, there is no graphical indication whatsoever to visually indicate these shifts in seasons and weather.

How Can the Game Improve in Respect to this Problem?

A system should be implemented that would make the visual environment and temperature of the world change depending on what time of the year (in-game) the player is currently playing in.

Ex.

• Leafless trees, occasional snowfall and snowy grounds during winter.
  • Multicolored leaves floating around and covering the grounds during autumn.
  • Full, leafy trees and bird formations during the summer.
  • More intense storms during the spring, etc.

Does it Make Sense for the Game?

The game takes place in Fort Knox, Kentucky and the areas surrounding it. This region of the USA would experience such changes in weather and seasons, with the exception of frequent snow, however seasons in KY should still be cleary differentiated.

A realistic atmosphere is important for Project Zomboid. An improved weather system would bring the game world to life.

Is it worth the time and effort to develop?

An improved weather system should give the player new challenges to consider that should be incorporated in a survival game. Weather is something a survivor should always consider. It can mean life or death if it is not properly considered.

• Snow and heavy rainstorms would slow the play down significantly and could destroy their crops and low-tier structures.
  • Loud thunder and lighting could make the player less noticeable to nearby zombies. [Edit: I think this is already implemented]
  • Winter months would have short days and longer nights, while summer months would be the opposite.
  • Autumn leaves on the ground would cause the player to make significantly more noise while moving.

Man, it was cold last year.(I live on the border of Kentucky and Indiana) But back to topic!!!

I think they plan to implement snow, but I don't think they said anything else about it. I like the idea of bird formations. Geese are crazy as hell down here. They don't shut up. Zombies aren't the threat, geese are. There seems to be millions near where I live.

I bet they got some sort of idea about how to show the seasons. Colour of landscape, sounds, trees.. I really like the idea about louder footsteps during autumn and changing the lenght of day and night. I think it's better if the seasons were indicated in this way rather than some sort of calendar that shows you right away what time of the year it is.

I really like you're idea's, It would be awesome to see leaves change color and have them drop to the ground, But first we need more tree's, All we have right now is pine and as far as I know, They don't drop they're pine needles. You should make a clothing thread next :)

Yeah, I was just thinking about posting about clothing. Thanks for checking out my threads!

But, what exactly would you like to see from clothes. Just give me an idea.

I really like you're idea's, It would be awesome to see leaves change color and have them drop to the ground, But first we need more tree's, All we have right now is pine and as far as I know, They don't drop they're pine needles. You should make a clothing thread next :)

Yeah, I was just thinking about posting about clothing. Thanks for checking out my threads!

No probs ;)

There's actually already an awesome WIP mod by turbotutone that does exactly what you want. On top of that it also adds erosion to the landscape and grows vegetation all around. Here's the link: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/3782-erosion-nature-takes-over/

Thanks, I have been recommended this mod before when I have brought up seasons in another thread. It seems really cool, but I just wish such a system of seasons, weather and erosion would be implemented in the vanilla game.

Good suggestion! I thought about that during playing  

The temperature affects to the farming. It means you cannot grow anything while the winter is, so the players have to conserve the crops to survive. Also in this case devs should improve the clothes system. Jackets and warm coats will be very useful during the winter but at the same time slow down the characters.

Also I suggest to add a thermometer placed near the clock. The temperature could be shown in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit (depends from the country player lives in).

Also I suggest to add a thermometer placed near the clock. The temperature could be shown in degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit (depends from the country player lives in).

In my home country we show temperature in Ackdebi.

And a Little think to add: if you guys think that clothing is nessecary for implementing seasons you think with players Eyes. For Development its Not necessary. Whilst the influence of temperature Requires probably very Little in Programming, Visual Changes would include much graphic working behause Every tile Gets modified globally.

(Ignore my grammar. This iPhone Sicks)

Of course it's not a demand, we just suggest something to developers, and they decide if our suggestion acceptable and realizable or not. Don't forget we are posting on "PZ Suggestions" forum ;)

And this is the way it should be: the players suggest what they WANT to see in the game as they see it with player's eyes -> developers include something they CAN make with developer's hands and brains :D I'm not a coder or programmer and I don't even know how all this stuff works. Do you think we have to suggest it another way? :)

Of course it's not a demand, we just suggest something to developers, and they decide if our suggestion acceptable and realizable or not. Don't forget we are posting on "PZ Suggestions" forum ;)

And this is the way it should be: the players suggest what they WANT to see in the game as they see it with player's eyes -> developers include something they CAN make with developer's hands and brains :D I'm not a coder or programmer and I don't even know how all this stuff works. Do you think we have to suggest it another way? :)

If I would try to cut your free will in any way, I wouldn't start my post with a Little think to add. If I would try to force you doing something I would start with something like Obey unworthy minions or simply writing in red.

I strongly agree with posting any over-the-top-suggestions, but in this relation I think that very much effect could be made by low effort and thats what I posted. Its just an attempt to put a focus on something I expect to be good for this topic, not a gleichschaltung.