Digging graves

Pat_Bren

Seeing as the devs now plan to make bodies harm you if you're around them too long, how about giving the player the ability to dig graves if they have a spade and place bodies in them? You could also add a grave marker if you wanted (maybe only with NPCs and not zombies) with either a custom message, or one the game makes up in a format like "*Name*. Died of *cause* on *date*. Rest in peace."

It would also be cool to come across some graves dug (either via the NPC's AI or randomly placed to look real) with names/causes of other survivors who died. It would also show you how good a set of survivors were getting on (lots of graves in their safehouse meaning, of course, they're not very good at this type of thing).

I love this idea, being able to bury any corpse would be very nice, can't really see why Narnobie suggests it would be more fitting as a mod though. I'd love this in vanilla, imagine walking through a graveyard of dead survivors and finding only one lone starved zombie too weak to walk inside the stronghold.

Also, I'd bury my own damn corpses to stop my friends from putting pearl necklaces on me...

I'd make it so that you just dig a grave, put a corpse in, fill it up and use two planks to make a marker, you can then edit the marker the same way you do a bag name. No need for fancy automatic stuff, If I knew the guy I'd write what I know.

It would be awesome in vanilla but to me it just seems like a mod type of thing. Would be awesome though. Also this also gives me another idea for MP and SP when NPCs are added. If you have some valuable stuff in your backpack you should be able to bury it in a safe location so someone else doesn't find your bag and loot it.

Yes, most people would probably just burn the zombies, but it'd be a nice option. Also, you could make a big mass grave for a lot of zombies and just dump twenty of them in. And what if NPCs could "return" from the grave, like in old zombie movies where a rotting hand reaches up out of a grave and they dig themselves out?

Also it's a separate suggestion that's probably been mentioned lots of times, but the ability to "put down" dead NPCs, ie. to stab/shoot them in the brain after they die so they don't "come back" would be cool too and would tie in.

I would love the option to drag unconscious people into coffins and burying them alive.....

But I would Imagine that if you needed to bury a lot of bodies, you could make a mass grave, like what they did in Vietnam. Maybe, you could even attract zeds some way? And you could spike up the outskirts of the graves, and z's would impale themselves and get stuck, kinda like on The Walking Dead.

I like the idea. I hope it makes its' way into Project Zomboid.  Now that we have NPC interaction on the horizon, have different ways to respectfully dispose the bodies makes a good deal is sense.  It might also open up potential objectives with NPC relationships.

Maybe they could implement signs at the same time. I know lots of people would want signs, and it complements grave sites.

Yes please.  Starting a new character an finding your previous character dead, I want to have a big burial for him.  Or an NPC dies, having a burial makes the other NPC's deal with the loss a little better.  

Imagine just walking into a backyard where 10 NPCs are standing around and open grave with a body in it.

Yes, the reason for including graves is the same reason that people dig graves/have funerals in real life: to stop disease, and to let the survivors say goodbye finally to people they loved. *wipes tear for dead NPC* Also, assuming that having an NPC that your character knows die will make your PZ character sad, burying them might help to make them less unhappy as they're more able to deal with the death knowing they're buried away from zombies.

I really like this idea. I'd like to think that one of my characters mission would be to get to the safety of the army base or something but my companion died along the way. So I would bury them and gave them a headstone. I like it a lot actually +1 for this idea.

Of course you wouldn't be burying every zombie you come across, that would be silly.

You would bury your group members or people you know, and you would burn other zombies.  I think this would definitely suit the main game and should be added, I don't want to see that just as a mod to be honest.

General suggestion: passports for zombies: high percentage for zombies, wearing a wallet with their passports so you can figure out their names, after having an axelike conversation. 
Personally I would like to have some option to pick their pockets so I can figure out the names of living friends, which would it make it much easier to me getting a closer relationship to my housemates. Anyway.... ... ..I am pretty sure that I am the only one who builds cages for some of the charismatic zombies, so... nevermind. Just remember the passport suggestion, please.

It would also be cool to come across some graves dug (either via the NPC's AI or randomly placed to look real) with names/causes of other survivors who died. It would also show you how good a set of survivors were getting on (lots of graves in their safehouse meaning, of course, they're not very good at this type of thing).

I'd love to see a door shield "The Smith Family BULLSHIT I AM ALONE HERE NOW" - Two graves in the front garden and a corpse in the dustbin. Good moment to start whistling and decide not to check this house this time. Or any other time.

Of course you wouldn't be burying every zombie you come across, that would be silly.

DON'T TAKE MY FREEDOM FOR BEING SILLY! You.. you.. strongly-minimalistic person!