UO style chess/checkers

SJane3384

I thought it would be cool to throw in chess/checkers boards like old school UO had.  It gives players in MP something to do while they're waiting for it to be light, shouldn't be all that tricky to implement, and also gives us another item to decorate with.

If you guys didn't play it originally, here's how it worked:
You double clicked the game board, and it would open up like this:

http://uo.stratics.com/newspics/drachenfels/df_dc_chess2.jpg

There were no rules on piece placement, you could pretty much move them wherever.  So basically if you wanted to you could make pictures or words instead of actually playing the game.  It made for some interesting discoveries when walking into a public tavern lol.

I love the idea. If the system got set up then it would open up a whole new branch for modding.  A front end investment by the developers for something like checkers could give the community all the tools they need to expand board/card games in PZ.

Maybe each game would have so many uses to decrease boredom.

So it would kinda work like a super simple Tabletop Simulator? 2D and anyone who joins the game just kinda goes at it?

What about Warhammer 40k Tabletop ? Can this be added please ?

Just kidding. I really don't know to much about coding and programming and stuff but I doubt that making a playable chessboard in PZ would be anywhere near easy.

Oh shit, forgot about dice and Backgammon!  Weee RJ!  What shard did you play on?  I was Europa and Great Lakes.

I waa on a French private server (the biggest one tho) called "Vivre", remind me so much great things.. Started to code when I was a child with this game <3

Yeah it can be applied to for instance having a map with pebbles and just moving them around to plan things as well in MP. If there are no real rules to enforce what can be placed where on for instance a table, it is not so much a minigame as it is merely putting things onto a tabletop.

Ever wanted to plan looting? Have a roadmap and a few pins? Want to make a strategy to assault a fortress, lay out matches for walls and put buttons(shirt) around representing different things. It would only be a 'minigame' if you actually played a game on it, It would be no more a 'minigame' than writing a journal would be.

Would drawing a map on a paper also be considered a minigame? Would painting on the pavement be a minigame? I mean you 'could' make it into a game by painting things to play for instance three in a row, but it would be at player volition. That is all we are asking for. I see it as a 'dynamic' not a 'minigame', what you do with it is up to you.

I . . . really don't want to see minigames in PZ. :(

Why ever not? It would make multiplayer night times a hell of a lot more interesting. Especially if the server is real-time or the days last an hour. Of course if you didn't like it you just don't have to take part in these games. Simples. It's just nice to have the option to play them.